DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 10, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #1,576 of 10,535

Which Y-splitter is that?

Looks like the Doublehelixcables Capsid: http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=118  There are few samples out in the wild.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #1,579 of 10,535
I'm looking to build a headphone cable with mini 4 pin xlr connectors at each headphone cup.  Any suggestions for decent looking male 4 pin mini xlr connectors that doesn't cost more than say $30 for a pair?

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #1,580 of 10,535
  I'm looking to build a headphone cable with mini 4 pin xlr connectors at each headphone cup.  Any suggestions for decent looking male 4 pin mini xlr connectors that doesn't cost more than say $30 for a pair?

Well, your options are actually quite limited.  The only deluxe 4-pin mini XLRS are by Furutech and they are well over $30 for a pair.  Beyond that you have standard Switchcraft, Rean (Neutrik), Amphenol, and the stuff you can get off of ebay or Aliexpress.

I will say that the Amphenols have been my favorite and are of higher quality than even the Switchcraft that they are clones of for half the price.  Standard looking, but have a great feel and tight tolerances.  I have used some off of ebay/Aliexpress that have been ok, and can be found with cooler shells, but the tolerances aren't as tight and sometimes they can get stuck.  I have used these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/mini-xlr-4P-4-pin-female-Audio-Mic-connector-TA4F-0A-/351017765950?pt=US_Computer_Microphones&hash=item51ba4a0c3e and they were fine.  You could always take the shells from the cheaper ones and use the guts of the Amphenols for a focus on quality and looks.  Would still come in under the cost of even normal Switchcrafts.

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,581 of 10,535
I went cheap on my first outing with the mini XLR, kinda wish I didn't. The female mini that I got from Redco is really cheap feeling. I'm thinking about postponing finishing the cable until I get a more solid feeling jack. :frowning2:

Did a 4 strand round braid and it looks pretty nice. Went from 6 ft to about 5.5 ft. Not too bad. Thinking about sleeving it now.... :D

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,582 of 10,535
  Well, your options are actually quite limited.  The only deluxe 4-pin mini XLRS are by Furutech and they are well over $30 for a pair.  Beyond that you have standard Switchcraft, Rean (Neutrik), Amphenol, and the stuff you can get off of ebay or Aliexpress.

I will say that the Amphenols have been my favorite and are of higher quality than even the Switchcraft that they are clones of for half the price.  Standard looking, but have a great feel and tight tolerances.  I have used some off of ebay/Aliexpress that have been ok, and can be found with cooler shells, but the tolerances aren't as tight and sometimes they can get stuck.  I have used these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/mini-xlr-4P-4-pin-female-Audio-Mic-connector-TA4F-0A-/351017765950?pt=US_Computer_Microphones&hash=item51ba4a0c3e and they were fine.  You could always take the shells from the cheaper ones and use the guts of the Amphenols for a focus on quality and looks.  Would still come in under the cost of even normal Switchcrafts.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was actually looking at that seller's 4 pin male mini XLR plugs (http://www.ebay.com/itm/mini-xlr-minixlr-4-pin-male-Audio-Microphone-mic-connector-TA4M-0A-/390790720245?pt=US_Cables_Snakes_Interconnects&hash=item5afcf12af5) but was unsure of the build quality.  However, at that price, I guess I can putz around with them and see if the innards are decent enough.  The Furutechs are definitely the best looking ones that I've been able to find, but are so pricey.  

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #1,583 of 10,535
I'm doing a 4 wire braid with 26awg copper and want to sleeve each strand individually with paracord. The micro paracord I ordered is too thin, or I don't have the patience to mess with it anymore, pick one. What size should I be using? I don't want it to be baggy. Thanks ahead of time.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,588 of 10,535
  I'm doing a 4 wire braid with 26awg copper and want to sleeve each strand individually with paracord. The micro paracord I ordered is too thin, or I don't have the patience to mess with it anymore, pick one. What size should I be using? I don't want it to be baggy. Thanks ahead of time.

what was linked to you was type 1 paracord. also known as micro paracord. The thing with paracord is that the only standard is the resistance (110 lbs if I recall correctly). What i mean by this is that the inner diameter can and will change depending on the actual material used. I ordered some on amazon and it took me sooooooooooooo long to feed my 24 feet. Then I ordered some from five star cord (http://fivestarcord.com/) and it is not only silky smooth ( part of me wants to redo the wire lol) and also stretches a lot more making it a lot easier with 24awg wire. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #1,589 of 10,535
  Awesome that's perfect then, the Canare is 26awg. I can't imagine being able to use this "microcord" for wire, it starts coming apart as soon as I attempt to route anything through it.

When you get a clean cut, take a lighter and carefully melt the ends.  This will keep it from coming apart.  Also, make sure to have a clean cut of your wire with no strands poking out.  This can catch on the inside and cause ugly snags.  

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #1,590 of 10,535
  When you get a clean cut, take a lighter and carefully melt the ends.  This will keep it from coming apart.  Also, make sure to have a clean cut of your wire with no strands poking out.  This can catch on the inside and cause ugly snags.  

A trick I use is to wrap a small piece of painter's or masking tape around the end, with just a small amount beyond the end of the wire(s), twisted up tightly; takes very little tape, of course, as you don't want it too thick.  I've yet to have a snag that way.

Really appreciate the links to type I paracord/microcord.

Quick question re: soldering a 3.5mm TRS.  I assume it's pretty much like using a 1/4" TRS, only tighter quarters?  I did all right with HFM SMC connectors and a mini XLR, so I'm hoping it won't be too big a PITA with the 3.5mm.  I'm using Mogami W2799 sans sheath and shield (so, four wires).

TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back