DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 14, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #1,591 of 10,535
Another trick i used for my borderline too small paracord was pull on the wire tubing to stretch it out past the wire then melt the tip and carefully mold it with my fingers (after a second or so). I tried tape but it was too thick... anyways I was using 24awg, 26 should be fine

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #1,592 of 10,535
I haven't gotten all the the parts for the cable I'm making for these, but I got them ready by installing the 2 mini xlr chassis in them. I was s***ing my pants when I was soldering the wires onto the drivers more than when I was drilling holes in the cups. The Beyer drivers voice coil wires come off those tabs very easily, I worked up a sweat soldering them. Haha I'm extremely satisfied with the mod, and they're still in pristine condition.

My HTC One's camera lens does this blue tiger stripe crap, it's pretty annoying.

I'm looking to do a removable cable on my t5p,  Apparently a mini XLR socket is ever so slightly too large to mount in the cups.  Are there any reasonable alternatives?

They fit with a little bit of modification to the baffle. I had to cut into it a little bit, and I knew I would have to but it was easy and I can't hear a difference in the sound with it being cut. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #1,593 of 10,535
Excellent work!
beerchug.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #1,594 of 10,535
That mod looks sweet!

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #1,595 of 10,535
I haven't gotten all the the parts for the cable I'm making for these, but I got them ready by installing the 2 mini xlr chassis in them. I was s***ing my pants when I was soldering the wires onto the drivers more than when I was drilling holes in the cups. The Beyer drivers voice coil wires come off those tabs very easily, I worked up a sweat soldering them. Haha I'm extremely satisfied with the mod, and they're still in pristine condition.
I know how you feel. lol I was feeling the same way last weekend when I was doing the same but to the 770Pros. :D I just got a pair of 770Prems as well, thinking about doing the same to them but single entry.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #1,596 of 10,535
Some photos of my build. Canare l-4e6s, purple type III paracord with reflective tracer, and Rean connectors. This is for my LCD-2.....I did not like the flat cord. This feels much more comfortable. I used a straightened coat hanger as a fid to thread the paracord after stripping the cover. Also soldered little bridges across the pins on the mini XLR connectors to make cable attachment easier.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #1,597 of 10,535
  what was linked to you was type 1 paracord. also known as micro paracord. The thing with paracord is that the only standard is the resistance (110 lbs if I recall correctly). What i mean by this is that the inner diameter can and will change depending on the actual material used. I ordered some on amazon and it took me sooooooooooooo long to feed my 24 feet. Then I ordered some from five star cord (http://fivestarcord.com/) and it is not only silky smooth ( part of me wants to redo the wire lol) and also stretches a lot more making it a lot easier with 24awg wire. 

Oh my god. Thank you so much for that website. A good product at a reasonable price and flat-rate shipping of $3. Perfect.

How do you guys deal with the wires being curly from being twisted in the casing? Are there any wires that don't need straightening out after you strip them?

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,600 of 10,535
BTG comes kink free and is still within reason. At $.80/ft for OFC or $1/ft for SPC with $5 shipping. Not the dame value, but a good alternative.

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #1,601 of 10,535
BTG comes kink free and is still within reason. At $.80/ft for OFC or $1/ft for SPC with $5 shipping. Not the dame value, but a good alternative.

i ordered the black BTC OFC cable to make my Alpha Dog cable and it worked out really well. i didn't wrap it with paracord, but i did do a 4-strand weave that turned out pretty well. i'm thinking about buying the silver BTG at $1/foot to make a cable for my D7000. probably will wrap individual strands in mini-paracord. i think BTG's wire is a budget-friendly way to go for a pretty nice cable.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #1,602 of 10,535
I've seen Lemo connectors come up occasionally on here, especially since the HD800 connector is a custom Lemo.

One of my favorite features is the push to connect pull to disconnect with positive locking. On the male connector there are two fingers that latch onto slots inside the female connector. No worries this connection will come undone accidentally without destroying the cable. I happen to think they look quite cool too.

I figured since I am quite fond of the connectors and they are fairly small I would post up some pictures and briefly detail them. This may dissuade some people from trying to use them in a mod and that's not a bad thing, they are expensive and have very small solder cups.

Here goes:

For anyone not familiar that is a female panel mount Lemo (EGG 0B 4 LV pin) mated to a male cable mount (FGG 0B 4LV pin).  You can see the red reference dots on the connectors to make sure you line up the registering pin correctly, like XLR connectors these are not rotatable unlike TRS connectors.

I chose some 6x26awg spiral shielded cable to make the 3m headphone cord. On the other end I terminated the cable in a 1/4" TRS Neutrik connector.

Here you can see both ends of the cable, the Lemo is quite small, they do make smaller connectors but this was a size I had readily available and it's appropriate for the application.

You can also see the quad twisted wires coming off the panel mount connector which will connect to the left and right drivers once I finish the project.

Since I had 6 conductor wire I decided to go with it and double up on every conductor, honestly this makes the job harder and doesn't have any benefit other than being more consistent with the doubled up wires in the main cable. Here I soldered a total of 8 26awg wires paired on each of the 4 pins, they fit up to about 22 awg happily, 2x 26awg is a little big.

Some heat shrink to prevent any shorting but mostly for aesthetics. 

Here's the doubled up wires from the cable, I soldered one pair for the ground to pin 3 and the shield to pin 4 then bridged them with some solder, this makes sure both channels have nearly identical impedance in the cable. Nit picky but I didn't see any reason not to. I could in the future use this for a balanced cable since I do have 4 pins connect in pairs to the drivers. However this is strictly a standard cable with TRS on one end.

You can see how small those solder cups are, that's 26awg wire, I made my life harder by doubling them up but it wasn't too bad. You can also see the cable clamp chuck which provides excellent strain relief from pulling out at the solder cups. Again these are definitely high quality connectors.

So that's Lemo connectors at a glance, they're very nice and quite small. This sizes I believe is available up to a 7 pin version but the pins get even smaller. They also come in 2 pin and 3 pin for dual entry and single ended single entry.

I also want to recommend the GRS third hand clips that you see in the pictures, they make working with this smaller stuff a lot easier. They position well and have good holding power.

For reference, all the soldering was done with 63/37 rosin core .015" solder and a ETA tip on a Weller WESD51 soldering station set to 581F.

Tip:

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,603 of 10,535
  I've seen Lemo connectors come up occasionally on here, especially since the HD800 connector is a custom Lemo.

One of my favorite features is the push to connect pull to disconnect with positive locking. On the male connector there are two fingers that latch onto slots inside the female connector. No worries this connection will come undone accidentally without destroying the cable. I happen to think they look quite cool too.

I figured since I am quite fond of the connectors and they are fairly small I would post up some pictures and briefly detail them. This may dissuade some people from trying to use them in a mod and that's not a bad thing, they are expensive and have very small solder cups.

Here goes:

For anyone not familiar that is a female panel mount Lemo (EGG 0B 4 LV pin) mated to a male cable mount (FGG 0B 4LV pin).  You can see the red reference dots on the connectors to make sure you line up the registering pin correctly, like XLR connectors these are not rotatable unlike TRS connectors.

I chose some 6x26awg spiral shielded cable to make the 3m headphone cord. On the other end I terminated the cable in a 1/4" TRS Neutrik connector.

Here you can see both ends of the cable, the Lemo is quite small, they do make smaller connectors but this was a size I had readily available and it's appropriate for the application.

You can also see the quad twisted wires coming off the panel mount connector which will connect to the left and right drivers once I finish the project.

Since I had 6 conductor wire I decided to go with it and double up on every conductor, honestly this makes the job harder and doesn't have any benefit other than being more consistent with the doubled up wires in the main cable. Here I soldered a total of 8 26awg wires paired on each of the 4 pins, they fit up to about 22 awg happily, 2x 26awg is a little big.

Some heat shrink to prevent any shorting but mostly for aesthetics. 

Here's the doubled up wires from the cable, I soldered one pair for the ground to pin 3 and the shield to pin 4 then bridged them with some solder, this makes sure both channels have nearly identical impedance in the cable. Nit picky but I didn't see any reason not to. I could in the future use this for a balanced cable since I do have 4 pins connect in pairs to the drivers. However this is strictly a standard cable with TRS on one end.

You can see how small those solder cups are, that's 26awg wire, I made my life harder by doubling them up but it wasn't too bad. You can also see the cable clamp chuck which provides excellent strain relief from pulling out at the solder cups. Again these are definitely high quality connectors.

So that's Lemo connectors at a glance, they're very nice and quite small. This sizes I believe is available up to a 7 pin version but the pins get even smaller. They also come in 2 pin and 3 pin for dual entry and single ended single entry.

I also want to recommend the GRS third hand clips that you see in the pictures, they make working with this smaller stuff a lot easier. They position well and have good holding power.

For reference, all the soldering was done with 63/37 rosin core .015" solder and a ETA tip on a Weller WESD51 soldering station set to 581F.

Tip:

thanks for the info! those are some great tips and some nice work there, much better than my plebian work. the AD lemo connectors were indeed a PITA. those pins are tiny! good thing the BTG wires are thin as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back