DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 15, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #7,846 of 10,535
Noob here lol. Where do I find the
Excellent!

So many options! As we said, the easiest is heat shrink like Paladin mentioned. Depending on the diameter of the wires, various Y splitter options are available (see the Y Spitter page on my site). If you have a caliper and can measure the diameter of one twisted pair, as well as the braid, we can help find Y spitter than might fit, if you want to go that way.

where's your y splitter page?

Feb 15, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #7,847 of 10,535
Noob here lol. Where do I find the

where's your y splitter page?
Click on the DIY supplies link below
In the upper right, click on the down arrow next to Home, the on Y splitters

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #7,848 of 10,535
Hoping you guys can help me. I'm looking for a copper-colored nylon sleeving. It's a larger diameter opening, maybe 3/4" - 1" or so. I bought a number of feet many years ago from a seller on Ebay however the item no longer seems to be on Ebay or anywhere else for that matter... and I've used the last of mine up. It looks like this:

copper colored sleeving.jpg

...it has a slight metallic sheen which you can't really see in the photo. It doesn't really need to be like that though, just looking for something similar. I figured this would be the best place to ask :wink:

TIA.

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #7,849 of 10,535
IMG_2438.JPG Here is some internal soldering on an HD 800 connector. If you are new to DIY or soldering miniature parts, these should probably not be your first choice of a connector to try. A magnifying lamp, tiny soldering iron tip, and a decent vise like a Panavise helps considerably. The connectors are made to work with 26 awg wire or smaller and there is not much room for anything else. I should have laid something next to the connector to give you a sense of proportion but I would say this portion of the connector has a length of about 12 mm with a solder pin length of maybe two mm.

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #7,850 of 10,535
Here is some internal soldering on an HD 800 connector. If you are new to DIY or soldering miniature parts, these should probably not be your first choice of a connector to try. A magnifying lamp, tiny soldering iron tip, and a decent vise like a Panavise helps considerably. The connectors are made to work with 26 awg wire or smaller and there is not much room for anything else.
Working with those and 2.5mm TRRS connectors requires a bit of patience. I like the Furutech version a little better but at $100 a pair it's spendy. You can use 24 gauge, but I advise isolating one joint with heatshrink because (as you said) things are close.

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #7,851 of 10,535
These came from Moon Audio as I recall. Everything is relative, I have done 100 wire cables going into fairly small connectors. There are only so many colors available on wires so you start ending up with black with a red stripe and white stripe, then red with black stripe and white stripe, white with black and red stripe etc. Suddenly working with three or four wires does not seem so bad.:)

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #7,854 of 10,535
Hello,

does someone know a good connector for the HD800? I want to build a HD800 cable with this wire https://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/product/viper-24awg-occ-cryo-silver-plated-7n-copper/ but can't find a connector. I mean those who connect in the headphones.

I bought mine on eBay for around $23 shipped from China. Not the best quality but decent for the price. I will be building the cable here in the next week or so.

Speaking of.... where do you all get the little odds and ends to building IEM cables. IE: 2 pin connectors, wire for around the ear and the clear tubing that goes over the cable and wire?

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #7,855 of 10,535
Feb 20, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #7,856 of 10,535
I like the idea of the spacious barrel, the ones I worked with have pretty tight tolerances. I tried to work with them over a large plastic tray so as not to lose any small pieces.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #7,857 of 10,535
I like the idea of the spacious barrel, the ones I worked with have pretty tight tolerances. I tried to work with them over a large plastic tray so as not to lose any small pieces.
Yes they do look good. Bought some Toxic Black Widow 26 awg Litz OCC wire and can’t becide which cable to make. Thinking HD-800 and HE-500. Leaning HE-500 as don’t have a decent cable for them. The thing I have is the solder pot. Got some 60/40 bar stock and tried it out and didn’t flux the ends and it was not a good test run wasn’t bad just wasn’t as good as I wanted. The pot solder had no flux would it be better to flux the wire?

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #7,858 of 10,535
There is no flux in bar solder so you always have to flux the wire IMHO. If a solder pot included flux it would burn off in the first few minutes and you would have a glorious could of smoke billowing around you as you tried to work with it. You always dip wire in flux before dipping in a solder pot, then you see a bit of smoke, and a wonderfully tinned piece of wire. The same principle applies to rosin core solder, if you apply that to a solder tip you are burning off the flux before you clean the solder joint. Flux cleans the joint allowing solder to adhere.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #7,859 of 10,535
There is no flux in bar solder so you always have to flux the wire IMHO. If a solder pot included flux it would burn off in the first few minutes and you would have a glorious could of smoke billowing around you as you tried to work with it. You always dip wire in flux before dipping in a solder pot, then you see a bit of smoke, and a wonderfully tinned piece of wire. The same principle applies to rosin core solder, if you apply that to a solder tip you are burning off the flux before you clean the solder joint. Flux cleans the joint allowing solder to adhere.
I thought so but first time with the pot. Without flux did not do too bad so I’m happy for now until I can locate my tin of flux ; )

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #7,860 of 10,535
I had a distributor out of Louisville give me a couple gallons of Kester liquid flux since it is not used too much in wave soldering these days, if you need some I bet I can find a small metal container and send you some. You have done me some favors with the help of your extensive knowledge so you are one of the folks I will always help if able.

PS Listening to Lake Street Dive, Fun Machine Album... song " I want you back". A great test song and Rachael Price can sing. Separation of instruments and vocalists is impressive in balanced set up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back