DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 8, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #7,831 of 10,535
Does anyone know of a good source for 2.5mm TRRS connectors with solder lugs?
I'm having a hard time finding any quality ones.

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #7,833 of 10,535
Thanks for that.
and the plus side is I've been looking for 90 degree plug,

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #7,834 of 10,535
Has anyone re-terminated the Audeze EL-8 cable? I have a broken 2.5mm balanced cable and they don't make them any more. There seem to be two red, two green and one copper wire inside.

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #7,835 of 10,535
Feb 10, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #7,836 of 10,535
Typically Litz wires with individually insulated conductors and ideally a larger number of conductors should have less problems with microphonics.

I don't have a link ready right now, but there should be quite some litz wires on aliexpress, also pre-braided ones. Although I prefer using a high quality wire that itself has little mircophonics and braid it myself (as long as it is only 4-core).

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #7,837 of 10,535
Although I prefer using a high quality wire that itself has little mircophonics and braid it myself (as long as it is only 4-core).
It's okay for me too if you can link me a good one (I saw FAW wire, but 4,5€/m is too expensive for me, so i need something cheaper). Can you give me some braiding tip, i know the 4 braid but i don't think i can controll the density of the braid.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #7,838 of 10,535
Braiding is all about having a little practice. If you want a really cheap option you could just buy 6m of Viablue EPC-1 wire, which is a little over 1€/m. If you can get OCC copper wire in that price range - I don't know, there is some relatively cheap options on AliExpress but if you are going to braid yourself you will never reach the low cost of these ultra-thin, pre-braided wires.

You could always go with one of the quad-mic cables or something like that, but if you want OCC wire to use for braiding that's substantially cheaper than 4,5€/m, I am afraid I can't help you apart from that stuff I posted a few pages ago.

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #7,839 of 10,535
What do you guys do at the y split. I'm doing a cable for a set hifiman he-400is. I ordered some pants boot type y splitters on aliexpress, but the openings were way too small for the wire I have. Does everyone buy splitters or is there an easier more economical way of dealing with the split?

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #7,840 of 10,535
junction.JPG I generally use adhesive lined heat shrink tubing, it is readily available and not very expensive. Since it seals together you can use hemostats or pliers to bond the material together between the legs of the split as shown above. I almost always use this when dealing with paracord since the adhesive will keep the mesh material from moving around. I mention this solution since you were already trying to buy a pants boot type split.

https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-270Pc...words=adhesive+lined+heat+shrink+tubing&psc=1

Always look at the shrink ratio, this is 3-1 and very good for going from large to small sections of cable.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #7,841 of 10,535
What do you guys do at the y split. I'm doing a cable for a set hifiman he-400is. I ordered some pants boot type y splitters on aliexpress, but the openings were way too small for the wire I have. Does everyone buy splitters or is there an easier more economical way of dealing with the split?

That depends on your cable. If you are braiding 8 or more strands, the y splitter is purely cosmetic. I’d you have 4 strands and want the y splitter to stop unraveling, you can use heat strink, with or without a tube or barrel. There are a number of commercial options for YSplitters (I think I captured them all on my suppliers link). Need more info from you as to what you are trying to get from a y splitter.

I’ve used a large bead for nice effect.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #7,843 of 10,535
I'm using 4 strands in a round braid that splits of into 2 twisted pairs.
Excellent!

So many options! As we said, the easiest is heat shrink like Paladin mentioned. Depending on the diameter of the wires, various Y splitter options are available (see the Y Spitter page on my site). If you have a caliper and can measure the diameter of one twisted pair, as well as the braid, we can help find Y spitter than might fit, if you want to go that way.

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #7,844 of 10,535
IMG_2431.JPG Here is heat shrink tubing over twisted pair. For some applications I prefer to make sure the twists stay uniform which is not always the case when you merely twist the wires. Belden even uses bonded twisted pair for that same reason.

There is also heat shrink tubing at the junction of the Canare star quad where the twists begin. This is a balanced setup going from a Pono player to some modified headphones I changed from low to high impedance. Pictured are gold plated Amphenol extended tip connectors that I really like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back