DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 29, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #7,801 of 10,535
As I said, the "sound" of the cable for me mainly means my In Ear has to sound as good as always (not like crap) and the microphonics need to be acceptable. Everything else I can't make any real comments about.

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #7,802 of 10,535
Each of us have likes and dislikes and oftentimes that is all that matters. I probably have in excess of 50 headphone cables, many I made myself and I certainly have personal favorites.

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #7,803 of 10,535
Each of us have likes and dislikes and oftentimes that is all that matters. I probably have in excess of 50 headphone cables, many I made myself and I certainly have personal favorites.

Please don't take this as an insult, but I think you don't really get what I am trying to say? The microphonics of a cable are a criteria that (at least for me) does not depend on personal taste, either a cable performs well in this category or it doesn't. The part with the "sound" is - just like I said - a criteria where I just ask if it does it's main job properly or if Korn suddenly sounds like Hardtechno. You won't hear stuff like "crystal clear highs and great lower extension without noise" from me when talking about cables, I am an engineering student and not into snakeoil or trying to become a member of the "20+ headphone cable club" :wink:. I might buy expensive connectors because of manufacturing tolerances or disappointment with the cheaper components, but definitely not because they are cryo-treated. I believe a certain effort to get copper/silver as pure as possible is legitimate and beneficial, but I am not into all that highly expensive nonsense and all the opinions on the sound characteristics of certain cables that go with it. Just trying to find my 2-3 standard go-to-wires and insulation by trial and error and share the experiences along the way. If I find something I like, I'll stick with it and look no further....after all I DIY to save cash, not to spend it :wink:

BTW, has anyone tried this "French Silk" Toxic Cables stuff? A little to pricy for a fail, but I am thinking about getting like 18-20ft for a 6,3mm TRS to 2,5mm Mono connector for my new Nightowls. I am totally into black/red colour scheme, and that stuff is supposed to be a little softer than Paracord?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #7,804 of 10,535
I was not addressing microphonics in the least, sorry if I gave that impression. When you say you like a specific sound, more power to you. I have had a person tell me they could tell the difference between two identical cables I built using the same wire and connectors. Some things are nonsense to me unless they can be quantified. Personally I use test equipment and blind testing but at the end of the day some things sound intrinsically better to me but I do take the time to listen to others. I also test most anything out there and I do not get caught up in hype, or high prices, or lack thereof. I cannot hear the high frequencies as I once did, it comes with age, as does knowledge in some cases.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #7,805 of 10,535
For the specific sound I have different headphones, in my blind test for example I couldn't tell the difference between the cable included with my Xelentos and a Furutech MMCX Upgrade cable. Just looking for low microphonics and good handling in a cable (when building the cable as well as when using it). And other than that it gives me some peace of mind when it says it's OCC Copper, I have yet to experience sound differences or improvements. But I since I want to build custom IEMs I figured I could do some cables as well, so I wouldn't say I am looking for a specific sound, more like fail-proof recipes for the main types of headphone cables :wink: I know I could always go with Mogami Mini Quad or the equivalent Van Damme cable, the Furutech cable I mentioned a couple posts earlier, or Viablue EPC...but I think braided litz with transparent insulation just looks so damn sexy, so I need to find some that has acceptable microphonics, price and availability in the EU. That's like the main focus right now.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #7,806 of 10,535
I follow what you are saying and I have done considerable work trying to eliminate microphonics myself. I have heard of Van Damme cable but have not tried it, I will have to check it out sometime. I am a member of the trade so I have to be cautious in what I say about products and manufacturers. Some day when I retire I may start a small business centered around high end audio cables so there is some information I tend to keep to myself. You can read previous posts on here and generally I try to help with soldering technique, tools, and electronics theory. I am more familiar with products available in the states. I do work with cables both professionally and as a hobby and often send folks in the states free samples of OFC to help with their builds. I have done little with IEM cables so I doubt I would be much help there.:)

Tom

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #7,807 of 10,535
Hey guys!

I've been wanting to make my own cables for a while now, but every time I start down the path, I look at all my cable options and get overwhelmed and realize I have no idea what I'm talking about or what I need. I see all these gorgeous cables in the DIY gallery, and can't figure out what style of cable they are using or why. I see folks purchase some Mogami and just solder it straight in, but then I see others with custom braided cables with silver plated jackets and what not and not sure where they got it or what to look for.

Would someone just dump a quick crash course on me of cable types these guys are using and what my options are? I'd be seriously grateful!

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #7,808 of 10,535
You can learn a lot by going back and reading through this thread. Personally I would look up OFC, (oxygen free copper), OCC (Ohno continuous cast), paracord, AWG (American wire gauge).

I can teach most anything you want to know about soldering, tools, solder types, etc. I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to braiding so Alanmakus may well help with that, he is extremely knowledgeable about such things.He is also compiling a list of sources for DIY wire and parts. Study connector types, get used to TRS, TRRS, RCA, XLR etc. Learn about brands like Neutrik, Amphenol, and Switchcraft. In wire, Mogami, Canare, Belden are name brands that stand for quality. I will be working my way through a couple hundred cables this weekend but I can jump online and help a bit then if you get started and have specific questions. Through the years I have taught electronics,so I can probably teach you enough to stay out of trouble.

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #7,809 of 10,535
You can learn a lot by going back and reading through this thread. Personally I would look up OFC, (oxygen free copper), OCC (Ohno continuous cast), paracord, AWG (American wire gauge).

I can teach most anything you want to know about soldering, tools, solder types, etc. I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to braiding so Alanmakus may well help with that, he is extremely knowledgeable about such things.He is also compiling a list of sources for DIY wire and parts. Study connector types, get used to TRS, TRRS, RCA, XLR etc. Learn about brands like Neutrik, Amphenol, and Switchcraft. In wire, Mogami, Canare, Belden are name brands that stand for quality. I will be working my way through a couple hundred cables this weekend but I can jump online and help a bit then if you get started and have specific questions. Through the years I have taught electronics,so I can probably teach you enough to stay out of trouble.

Thanks for the feedback! I just began looking at the differences between OFC and OCC today so that's been helpful. Paracord and AWG are pretty straight forward and something I was familiar with, as well as a handful of brand names. I've played music for a while so was already a bit familiar with a lot somewhat related stuff in terms of XLR's and instrument cables and making minor repairs here and there, as well as working in tech exposing me to most cable components and making CAT5's from time to time. I have some basic soldering skills and a nice Hakko station. I think most of my problem is just understanding the differences between cable types with shielding, braids, solid core, silver, copper, strands, etc. Right now I'm really wanting new cables for my AKG's so I'm planning on ordering some Neutrik/Rean 3 pole mini XLR's and maybe some nicer Viablue connectors.

I'll start working my way through the pages in this thread and pick up what I can! I feel like I have most of the pieces, I just need the knowledge to put together the puzzle at this point. I appreciate your input and help!

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #7,811 of 10,535
Responding to Bright
Stranded wire is more flexible, if you were using say cat 5 cable, it will also withstand more flexes than solid wire before it breaks. In that industry solid wire is generally used inside walls and stranded goes to the back of PC's since it might be moved around more. Solid wire of the same gauge conducts better than stranded but not by a lot.

Stranded wire, the first number is number of strands, second number is wire gauge. The more strands, generally the more flexible the wire. If you can find something with thirty strands or more you are doing well. The best conductors are silver, then copper and gold as I recall. Gold will not tarnish and some connectors have a thin layer of gold usually measured in microns. Silver tarnishes and is more expensive than copper so an all around good conductor is copper. OCC copper is listed as say, 6 N, that means it is 99.999999 per cent pure. N's equate to number of nines after the decimal point but it has been ages since I read that so I could be wrong. The larger the number, the smaller the wire. 24 and 26 awg is used a lot in headphone cables, things like 12, 14, and 16 awg are better suited for amp to speaker applications.

Twisted pair is a form of shielding, it has been used since telegraph days or before. Shield the twisted pair with braid or mylar/aluminum and you have even a better shielded cable but for most audio applications twisted pair is fine. When you braid wire, that is in a sense twisted pair. Run two audio wires next to each other without the twists and you can have issues. Read up on twisted pair, it is important lol. Personally I stay away from silver plated wire, read up on skin effect and you might understand why. It starts at about 100 kilohertz and you are hoping to hear 20 to 20,000 hertz.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #7,812 of 10,535
Sub'd!

I'm unable to find a reasonably priced 2.5 balanced cable for my EL-8s so I'm going to make one. I know where to get all the connectors but I'm having a hard time finding simple OFC wire. I'l like to use 4 single strands braided together with a splitter. The wire is for full sized headphones but I would need to be able to fit 4 of them into the 2.5 balanced plug.

Also, I like that paracord covering and I would used it after the splitter to the termination for the source.

I'm hoping someone here can get me started with a good wire and wiring covering.

I have not made a cable in the past but I have converted stock cables from SE to balanced.

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #7,813 of 10,535
What sized opening on the 2.5 mm balanced plug. I have some 24 awg ofc I send out to people in the states on occasion to help them out. It is good wire and as far as a covering, I think you are saying all four wires would be covered or are you covering them individually?

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #7,814 of 10,535
They are the Eidolic spacious barrel. I'm not sure of the size. I have them at home.

I would probably start by leaving them all exposed the then braiding them. I'll might cover in paracord. Not sure yet.

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #7,815 of 10,535
I posted this wire a couple pages ago I think, it says it's OCC, so should be at least OFC I guess. 1,1mm OD and 110 Cores should be good for what you are trying to do, definitely enough AWG. 1.1mm should go fine with Paracord Micro or Type I. My 10m haven't arrived yet, otherwise I would upload pictures. 4 of those easily fit into most 2.5mm TRRS Plugs. Just make sure your sleeving is nice and tight and you should be fine?

Which connectors were you thinking about using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back