DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 10, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #3,151 of 10,535

Any kind of cables will work, even those cheap electrical/light bulb cables will work. Just browse around and get the cable that appeals to you most. While there are neverending debates on different cables yields different sound quality, personally I haven't experienced any solid facts about it. Just take a few things in consideration:

- how thick is the cable you want. Thicker will be better in durability, but more bulky, stiff, and heavy
- what kind of cable do you want, the sandwiched type (all polarities encased in 1 jacket), or the single polarity type (1 polarity in each cables)
- aesthetic, which cable is the most easy on your eyes. You can also use paracord sleeving to remedy ugly looking cables
- your budget. Audio cables can go from $1/m to over $100/m

That's what I mean, I want something above average. Shielded and will work well even at 20feet. but i dont know what to pick? I'd spend between
$0.80 - $2 per foot, give or take.  

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #3,152 of 10,535
  That's what I mean, I want something above average. Shielded and will work well even at 20feet. but i dont know what to pick? I'd spend between

Then you'd want sandwiched cables. Single polarity cables usually don't have any shielding (at least not that I'm familiar with), assuming you meant those aluminium foil type of shielding. 

Mogami seems to be quite popular. Canare is also frequently used. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #3,153 of 10,535
Dear all DIY friends,

Can someone please explain to a novice beginner the differences or reasons to choose one over the other;

Shielded interconnect cable, f.ex. VIABLUE EPC-4 VS creating your own braided cable from single copper wires? My thought is that shielding is really important with all cables, and making one just by braiding I can't understand how this can be good?

I made my own Q701 cable out of this cable above, which is of course not as flexible as the stock cable.

My intension if I'm making my own cable is to make "the best possible cable". 

Thanks for any tips and replies.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #3,154 of 10,535
Finally gathered all of the parts I need to make my HD600 cable w/ 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. I'm busy on a different soldering project atm so it will be a few days before I take a crack at this one. I'm scared to mess it up 
tongue.gif

Also thinking about changing out the navy Paracord for some white, the combo IRL doesn't look the same as I had imagined. I was trying to match the HD600 headband :frowning2:

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #3,155 of 10,535

Dear all DIY friends,

Can someone please explain to a novice beginner the differences or reasons to choose one over the other;

Shielded interconnect cable, f.ex. VIABLUE EPC-4 VS creating your own braided cable from single copper wires? My thought is that shielding is really important with all cables, and making one just by braiding I can't understand how this can be good?

I made my own Q701 cable out of this cable above, which is of course not as flexible as the stock cable.

there's a lot of info about this to me there is no easy answer, you have to do the research and decide what is best for you, there is a reason most of us use unshielded cable, paracord and braiding look nice is pretty durable, there is no best wire, its a preference, its no surprise many of us use mogami because its inexpensive and works great, there is no best cable imho (any cable will work and you probably won't be able to hear a difference and if you can good on ya)  hope this helps

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #3,156 of 10,535
  Dear all DIY friends,

A lot of it is aesthetics and durability. A manually braided cable will never have the consistency of a manufactured one, and most DIY don't have shields over the braids because that will cover the aesthetic of the braid. Whether that shielding makes a difference... *shrug* take that debate over to sound science.

On the matter of braiding itself, most DIY braids aren't even the most optimal from a EMI rejection standpoint. Litz braiding? That's a misused and misunderstood term that doesn't apply to DIY and can only be accomplished at the manufacturing end.

TL;DR... and I didn't answer your question anyways
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #3,157 of 10,535
  So with just the cable dangling free off the phono, the hum gets worse? That's... like your cable is acting as an antenna or something weird. What if you short the barrels/grounds together at the phono preamp? Just trying to eliminate as much as possible.

Not sure the hum got worse, but it was there, both with my DIY cable and the Audioquest.  Only the cheap stereo RCA cable eliminates the hum.  Waiting on a longer version from C2G.  If it, too, has the hum, at least I can return it to Amazon.  Who knows, in the end I may just get another cheap cable and use the couplers.

I tried a ground wire, but again, the problem is where to attach it to the turntable.  The only obvious connection made little difference, so I bagged that idea, esp. as the lack of never mattered in the past.  I have to believe it's a lack of proper shielding at the ends of the DIY cable.  As to the Audioquest cable... whatever.

Thanks for the replies.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #3,158 of 10,535

there's a lot of info about this to me there is no easy answer, you have to do the research and decide what is best for you, there is a reason most of us use unshielded cable, paracord and braiding look nice is pretty durable, there is no best wire, its a preference, its no surprise many of us use mogami because its inexpensive and works great, there is no best cable imho (any cable will work and you probably won't be able to hear a difference and if you can good on ya)  hope this helps

I understand.
If I might ask a question or two more? 
Is there an advantage to running 4 conductor with separate negatives but still joining to the TRS?  Or Is 3 fine?
Following that question; What models of mogami wire would you suggest for ether option 20 gauge or higher?
What do people use for a Y spliter when the cord splits to individual cups? 

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #3,159 of 10,535

I understand.
If I might ask a question or two more? 
Is there an advantage to running 4 conductor with separate negatives but still joining to the TRS?  Or Is 3 fine?
Following that question; What models of mogami wire would you suggest for ether option 20 gauge or higher?
What do people use for a Y spliter when the cord splits to individual cups? 

4 will give you better braiding options, let's you split naturally to a dual entry, and has minutely better crosstalk performance. You can also wire up for an XLR4 with a TRS adapter if you wish.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #3,164 of 10,535
A very nice cable, love the braid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back