DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 10, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #3,167 of 10,535

I understand.
If I might ask a question or two more? 
Is there an advantage to running 4 conductor with separate negatives but still joining to the TRS?  Or Is 3 fine?
Following that question; What models of mogami wire would you suggest for ether option 20 gauge or higher?
What do people use for a Y spliter when the cord splits to individual cups? 

I wrestled with similar questions for a couple of weeks; I feel your frustration 
wink.gif

I haven't built my cable yet but my supplies are on their way from all over the world...lol.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) Given that you are terminating to a TRS connection then 3, or even 2 in my case for LCDs, is fine. But as pointed out by @Armaegis braiding 4 would be easier. In my situation I am only going with two cables from each XLR into the Y split joining into 4 cables going to my XLR for a balanced connection.

2) From scouring this and other threads it seems that 24-28 gauge cables are preferred by experts over thicker cables - 20 would be the thickest that you should go with but will not be flexible. I haven't used Mogami so I will yield to others' opinions.

3) Y-Splitter options are limited; If you are doing a 4 wire braid, the Y will split neatly and you will not need anything special. The other options are Viablue Y-Split, DHC (Double Helix Connectors), and others. Check the Y-Split thread where they discuss this in more detail. For me, after frustration in finding a decent Y-splitter at a good price, I decided to build my own in my workshop out of Zerbra Wood blanks and customize it with Lapel Pin from one my favorite events in Nasa history.

Hope this helps.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #3,168 of 10,535

I wrestled with similar questions for a couple of weeks; I feel your frustration 
wink.gif

I haven't built my cable yet but my supplies are on their way from all over the world...lol.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) Given that you are terminating to a TRS connection then 3, or even 2 in my case for LCDs, is fine. But as pointed out by @Armaegis braiding 4 would be easier. In my situation I am only going with two cables from each XLR into the Y split joining into 4 cables going to my XLR for a balanced connection.

2) From scouring this and other threads it seems that 24-28 gauge cables are preferred by experts over thicker cables - 20 would be the thickest that you should go with but will not be flexible. I haven't used Mogami so I will yield to others' opinions.

3) Y-Splitter options are limited; If you are doing a 4 wire braid, the Y will split neatly and you will not need anything special. The other options are Viablue Y-Split, DHC (Double Helix Connectors), and others. Check the Y-Split thread where they discuss this in more detail. For me, after frustration in finding a decent Y-splitter at a good price, I decided to build my own in my workshop out of Zerbra Wood blanks and customize it with Lapel Pin from one my favorite events in Nasa history.

Hope this helps.

Not sure if you can answer this. 
What I want to do is make an "right handed" cord for my hd650's, in other words, the cord would only hang off the right side cup and no longer meet in the middle. Instead the left cup wires would be looped along the headband. I have some Ideas on how to make this practical, however what I am unsure of is if having the left side wires longer than the right side, if that would effect the quality? My gut says no, but headphone rules and speaker rules are not always the same. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #3,169 of 10,535

What I want to do is make an "right handed" cord for my hd650's, in other words, the cord would only hang off the right side cup and no longer meet in the middle. Instead the left cup wires would be looped along the headband. I have some Ideas on how to make this practical, however what I am unsure of is if having the left side wires longer than the right side, if that would effect the quality? My gut says no, but headphone rules and speaker rules are not always the same. 

For just a few inches length, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference.

(that's what she said?)

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #3,170 of 10,535
For just a few inches length, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference.

(that's what she said?)

I got as far as, "for just a few inches", before my might thought "that's what she did). Oh man. :laughing:

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #3,171 of 10,535

I don't have direct experience with anything like that. Common sense would say that it should not be an issue for the lengths we are worried about, only a few feet, not long cable runs to worry about latency and delays.  But I will defer to the experts on the forum for a definitive answer.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #3,172 of 10,535
Finally gathered all of the parts I need to make my HD600 cable w/ 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. I'm busy on a different soldering project atm so it will be a few days before I take a crack at this one. I'm scared to mess it up :p

Also thinking about changing out the navy Paracord for some white, the combo IRL doesn't look the same as I had imagined. I was trying to match the HD600 headband :frowning2:

Where did you get the sleeve from ? Link pref if its online :)

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #3,174 of 10,535
I NEED THAT.

I'm about to start a 5-6' aux cable from Mogami and DHC parts, in black reflective paracord. 4 strand, round braid is the plan. A third hand setup would be great for when I attempt an 8 strand again!

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #3,175 of 10,535
The one I was using is 100 times better than not having one at all, but it is worn out and the clamps keep trying to fall off the metal Roda they connect to. So annoying. I will be happy to dump it the old one in the trash.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #3,176 of 10,535
  Just bought one of these Sparkfun Third Hands. I'm pretty excited about the upgrade, it's long overdue.

Anyone else using one of these? How do you like it? 

Damn, that's tempting.  I've only dealt with SparkFun once, but I already love 'em.  Thanks for posting, and hope it works out 
beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #3,177 of 10,535
Just bought one of these Sparkfun Third Hands. I'm pretty excited about the upgrade, it's long overdue.

Anyone else using one of these? How do you like it? 

Nice!

As you know I used a very old soldering iron to make my ZennJazzGrado, but I talked to my wife about uprgrading the soldering iron to a soldering station. And get myself some third hands. Since i'm not (semi)professional, I bought a 48W soldering station and third hand with a magnifier. This would not be for making cables, but to solder cables to drivers or repair electrics.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #3,179 of 10,535
My soldering iron is nothing fancy at all, I think I paid like $40 for it? It works great though, so no reason to upgrade it right now. 

Mine is a discarded iron from my younger brother (who is the technical wizard in our house), when he upgraded to something you seem to have. The soldering station I bought is a 48W adjustable with tempartures of 150-450 Celsius. And the third hands are the usual version. I checked out the Sparkfun website. Very nice. So you buy a baseplate with two arms and you can buy extra amrs and a fan and a maginfier, et cetera, separately? Good concept. A bit expensive for my modest soldering (I don't think I will solder more than once a month or so), but for you I can see that it's pretty much mandatory.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #3,180 of 10,535
Mine is a discarded iron from my younger brother (who is the technical wizard in our house), when he upgraded to something you seem to have. The soldering station I bought is a 48W adjustable with tempartures of 150-450 Celsius. And the third hands are the usual version. I checked out the Sparkfun website. Very nice. So you buy a baseplate with two arms and you can buy extra amrs and a fan and a maginfier, et cetera, separately? Good concept. A bit expensive for my modest soldering (I don't think I will solder more than once a month or so), but for you I can see that it's pretty much mandatory.

I have 4 arms coming with mine, I don't need a magnifying glass. 2 big clamps and 2 small clamps. I solder a couple days a week :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back