DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 7, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #3,121 of 10,535

No worries on the book, this helps out a lot. I take it the 95 paracord is the smaller paracord that will sleeve one cable? So for my simple balanced 3.5mm to 3.5mm, I would have 3 cords sleeved in paracord, on soldered to the tip, one to the ring and one to the sleeve? Or do I Solder 2 cables per? I got confused when I started to see discussions on 8 braided cables. 

8 braided cable would be 3 on the T, 2 on R and 3 on the S? I hope this question makes sense, I'm a bit of a visual learner so reading an explanation takes me a minute. 

Once again no worries on the book, the more you write, the better the explanation. Appreciate it. 

lotsa braiding going on
yes the 95 sleeves over 28awg nicely (sometimes not so nicely)
yes a basic 3.5 to 3.5 is 3 wires trs (tip ring sleeve color coded wire and or a mutimeter helps)
the 4 braid i use is two to each speaker twisted and braids to 4 and doesn't require any shrink wrap and looks real nice at the plug i solder the 2 grounds together i also leaves the option to convert to a balanced setup in the future
i had a hard time making my first one took me 2 days
look at lotsa pictures (there's a real good picture thread here)
and watch a lotta youtube videos on how to braid theres tons of 'em

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #3,122 of 10,535
  Hey there! I purchased the same exact cable as the link you gave! Generally, more strands means more flexible [?] 

I used the cable to build a cable for my AKG K702/65. While it is a little stiff, but I find it fine for desktop use but definitely not for portable 

That's great news, thanks for letting me know. Did you find any issues with quality of sound, due to lower conductivity of brass than copper?

Thanks for letting me know - I am happy that my I can use these as practice cables and can pass them on to my kids' iOS devices.

Cheers

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #3,123 of 10,535

Thanks for the help. I ordered the OCC Copper Silver-plated 24AWG cable just now and will use the other one to practice cable building. Many thanks for all your help and I will update everyone with my trials and tribulations along the way. I will also post some pics in the gallery of the finished product.

Cheers

That seller got the 19 strands version that you were looking for originally, right? http://www.ebay.com/itm/16ft-lot-1-0mm2-19strands-0-26mm-POCC-Copper-Silver-Plated-Teflon-Wire-Audio-DIY-/281442551247

It's 1mm thick, shouldn't be too thick for a 3-4 braid.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #3,124 of 10,535

That seller got the 19 strands version that you were looking for originally, right? http://www.ebay.com/itm/16ft-lot-1-0mm2-19strands-0-26mm-POCC-Copper-Silver-Plated-Teflon-Wire-Audio-DIY-/281442551247

It's 1mm thick, shouldn't be too thick for a 3-4 braid.

I ordered this one:
http://r.ebay.com/ING5Kl

Its 24AWG, OCC Silver Plated, 7 Strands. I decided to just start building cable and listen to which sound the best. As insinuated earlier, it seems that I will be building a lot of cables in this hobby 
redface.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #3,125 of 10,535
Okay, so excuse my ignorance here, but I have some headphones that I wanted to use an MMCX connector on to create a detachable cable with, but I hear that those connectors are 50 ohms while my headphones' impedance is 70. Will there be any problems if I try this, or does this not matter? 

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #3,126 of 10,535

That's great news, thanks for letting me know. Did you find any issues with quality of sound, due to lower conductivity of brass than copper?

Thanks for letting me know - I am happy that my I can use these as practice cables and can pass them on to my kids' iOS devices.

Cheers

they sound much clearer with wider instrumental separation and warmer than the stock cable of my K702/65

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #3,127 of 10,535
Hi, just a quick question, with 6 core braided cables for IEMs, where do 2 wires on a single end go, ground or positive? I have seen a lot of people doing 6-8 cored cables for headphones and IEMs but I still don't get the reason of doing so. :)

cheers 

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #3,128 of 10,535
  Hi, just a quick question, with 6 core braided cables for IEMs, where do 2 wires on a single end go, ground or positive? I have seen a lot of people doing 6-8 cored cables for headphones and IEMs but I still don't get the reason of doing so. :)

cheers 

It's a style preference. That's all there really is to it. Pretty much zero practical benefit.

You'll be adding additional weight and bulk. It looks cool though.
It's best that you have the same number of conductors going each way in the loop. A six wire braid on a single-ended to single-ended connector is fine. I wouldn't recommend adding an uneven amount to one channel or the ground. You'll basically end up with varying resistances. Maybe you won't hear a difference at all, maybe you will.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #3,129 of 10,535
  they sound much clearer with wider instrumental separation and warmer than the stock cable of my K702/65

He think you ordered the OCC BRASS cable. Is that the one you used? It is the one that he originally linked from his purchase, NOT the OCC SPC. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #3,130 of 10,535

I ordered this one:
http://r.ebay.com/ING5Kl

Its 24AWG, OCC Silver Plated, 7 Strands. I decided to just start building cable and listen to which sound the best. As insinuated earlier, it seems that I will be building a lot of cables in this hobby 
redface.gif

I almost ordered that stuff when looking for wire, but I wasn't privvy to see it was coming from China. I had doubts about its quality.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #3,131 of 10,535
He think you ordered the OCC BRASS cable. Is that the one you used? It is the one that he originally linked from his purchase, NOT the OCC SPC. 

Thanks for the clarification! But I meant this cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/271650851723

This seller is very trust worthy and he kept in touch with me until my order arrived in perfect condition. I have no quality issue with it so far. In fact, I plan to use it to build a RCA cable

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #3,132 of 10,535
  I almost ordered that stuff when looking for wire, but I wasn't privvy to see it was coming from China. I had doubts about its quality.

Yeah I know. Let's find our how good it is once I receive it. I will post an update here - I ordered from Hong Kong in the past and was very happy with the quality of the product and promptness.  BTW-The seller shipped in 24 hours from order placement. Only issue is that it states 2-3 weeks for delivery.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #3,133 of 10,535

Yeah I know. Let's find our how good it is once I receive it. I will post an update here - I ordered from Hong Kong in the past and was very happy with the quality of the product and promptness.  BTW-The seller shipped in 24 hours from order placement. Only issue is that it states 2-3 weeks for delivery.

Mine arrive in 1.5 week to Brunei I was surprised since my local post was never on time 

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #3,134 of 10,535
There's a lot of info here to try and sort through. 

I was wondering if someone could give me a simple parts list. 
What cable to get for HD650's  approximately 20ft worth.   
And which connections to get, nothing too expensive, just one that will get the job done well.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #3,135 of 10,535
I'm trying to make an audio LOD 30-pin for idevices. Anybody got a link to an ebay seller for something like this: http://www.qables.com/shop/diy-parts-wire-connectors/dock-connectors/ipod-iphone-itouch-dock-connector-black-thin-glue-shielded ?

I prefer sellers from China or around it, because I live in Asia, so China seller's shipping is actually faster than western seller's. I'm pretty sure there are China made version, just can't seem to get the right keyword for searching. 

Tried searching for 'dock connector', 'LOD DIY', and various keywords on ebay. All I got were either ready made LODs, or the internal servicing parts. Tried disassembling ready made connectors, but just too much risks. They're already glued shut, and prone to snap when pried open. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back