DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 2, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #12,511 of 16,305
Quote:
Quote:
We got 2 different things here. Troll is saying the one on the left, is the left channel, and wje is saying the one of the right is the left channel. Hmm. 

The solder contact being labeled by wje as left is probably right instead, the left usually is smaller in order to fit through the right with insulation between them as they both lead to the TRS contacts.

And if that plug is going to be used for the headphone end of an HD558 cable, it is far too big.

Edit: compare the proportions: link

Damn.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #12,512 of 16,305
Quote:

Oyaide makes the plug that you need, alternatively, I would improvise with one of these: link
You strip the molding off of the plug and remove the cable, then attach your own and make a new molding using epoxy putty and sand it down to the right fit, then paint it.  A lot of work.
I thought about recabling HD558 when I had it, then decided not to because I am too lazy to do it.  I ended up trading it away anyway.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #12,513 of 16,305
Quote:
Quote:

Oyaide makes the plug that you need, alternatively, I would improvise with one of these: link
You strip the molding off of the plug and remove the cable, then attach your own and make a new molding using epoxy putty and sand it down to the right fit, then paint it.  A lot of work.
I thought about recabling HD558 when I had it, then decided not to because I am too lazy to do it.  I ended up trading it away anyway.

I guess I'll see what I can do.. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #12,514 of 16,305
HD380Pro is a similar hassle.  =\

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #12,515 of 16,305
This looks pretty darn good: link

DIY ATH/Sony/Denon plug, relatively: link

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #12,516 of 16,305
Hey wolfetan44!

Here is the answer right here, you can't build this for $16...

Or at least you can reuse the plugs. :D
www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/261255113290

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #12,517 of 16,305
Quote:
Hey wolfetan44!

Here is the answer right here, you can't build this for $16...

Or at least you can reuse the plugs.
biggrin.gif

www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/261255113290

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

So much more fun to build it yourself though 
beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #12,518 of 16,305
Presenting my second good quality DIY cable. I call him Mikhael.
Specs: 
  1. Milloit braid
  2. #26 AWG SPC teflon wire (navships)
  3. Heatshrinked y-split and terminations
  4. Sleaved in 325 gray paracord
  5. Cardas quad eutectic solder
  6. Terminated with Amphenol 3.5 mm and HifiMan SMC connectors

Things I learned making Sascha and Mikhael:
  1. DIY cables are not as easy as everyone makes them look and sound.
  2. Solder flux is magic... if you're new, THIS IS A MUST. ($3 Home Depot).
  3. Get a helping hands tool, you don't need anything fancy ($7 ebay).
  4. Tin everything, it makes for clean joints and you barely have to use more solder.
  5. Use as little heat as possible. For me, a 25W pencil was more than enough with flux and cardas quad eutectic solder.
  6. Braiding is hard.
  7. I didn't and I regret it, but if you use heatshrink MAKE SURE IT'S ADHESIVE LINED.
  8. In my opinon, paracord SUCKS! Use tech flex, if you must sleeve and you don't want to emotionally and physically exhaust yourself trying to work with paracord. I was advised here to buy type I paracord for #24 AWG conductors; the eBay type I 1.18 mm paracord was too small. Then, I went to Michael's and got some 550 (type III I think?) paracord; it was to big to sleeve the individual conductors, but too small for the 4 wires braided. So for my #24 AWG braided cable I just used 1/8" tech flex! It's great and easy to use. For my #26 AWG cable I was out of tech flex, so I went back to Michael's and got 325 paracord. This time the paracord easily fit the whole #26 AWG braid, but it was such a PAIN to work with. The wires were too thin and needle-like so they would snag on the inside of the paracord and cause it to fray internally, which then made the outside look like it had a bunch of holes in it. I finally got the paracord on by blunting the end of the cable with heatshrink so it wouldn't ruin the paracord, but even then, I must say paracord sucks: it's hard to work with, it's not durable and it frays all over the place.
  9. If you're new to cable DIY, and feel confused or have any questions I encourage you to ask me. PM is ok. Take it from a newbie like me

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #12,519 of 16,305
Some great info there. There are some tricks to working with paracord to make it a little easier. In general it's a bit of a pain though. But I do like the finished results with it.

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #12,520 of 16,305
I try and use adhesive lined heatshrink now, it's much better.

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #12,521 of 16,305
Your mileage may vary, I loathe adhesive-lined heatshrink so hard. Made my first cables with some, and never again.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #12,525 of 16,305
Quote:
Presenting my second good quality DIY cable. I call him Mikhael.
Specs: 
  1. Milloit braid
  2. #26 AWG SPC teflon wire (navships)
  3. Heatshrinked y-split and terminations
  4. Sleaved in 325 gray paracord
  5. Cardas quad eutectic solder
  6. Terminated with Amphenol 3.5 mm and HifiMan SMC connectors

Things I learned making Sascha and Mikhael:
  1. DIY cables are not as easy as everyone makes them look and sound.
  2. Solder flux is magic... if you're new, THIS IS A MUST. ($3 Home Depot).
  3. Get a helping hands tool, you don't need anything fancy ($7 ebay).
  4. Tin everything, it makes for clean joints and you barely have to use more solder.
  5. Use as little heat as possible. For me, a 25W pencil was more than enough with flux and cardas quad eutectic solder.
  6. Braiding is hard.
  7. I didn't and I regret it, but if you use heatshrink MAKE SURE IT'S ADHESIVE LINED.
  8. In my opinon, paracord SUCKS! Use tech flex, if you must sleeve and you don't want to emotionally and physically exhaust yourself trying to work with paracord. I was advised here to buy type I paracord for #24 AWG conductors; the eBay type I 1.18 mm paracord was too small. Then, I went to Michael's and got some 550 (type III I think?) paracord; it was to big to sleeve the individual conductors, but too small for the 4 wires braided. So for my #24 AWG braided cable I just used 1/8" tech flex! It's great and easy to use. For my #26 AWG cable I was out of tech flex, so I went back to Michael's and got 325 paracord. This time the paracord easily fit the whole #26 AWG braid, but it was such a PAIN to work with. The wires were too thin and needle-like so they would snag on the inside of the paracord and cause it to fray internally, which then made the outside look like it had a bunch of holes in it. I finally got the paracord on by blunting the end of the cable with heatshrink so it wouldn't ruin the paracord, but even then, I must say paracord sucks: it's hard to work with, it's not durable and it frays all over the place.
  9. If you're new to cable DIY, and feel confused or have any questions I encourage you to ask me. PM is ok. Take it from a newbie like me

Type-III 550-lb. Paracord rules, it is better-looking, more resistant to fraying than Techflex multifilament, and is even more resistant to heat as well.  Only good for 4x24awg cables or smaller, though.
How are you doing your braids that you find it difficult?  It shouldn't be troublesome, just time-consuming.
Some of my heatshrink is adhesive-lined, some not, so I improvise with a thin coat of hot glue for the adhesiveless heatshrink.

It's better to use painter's tape instead of heatshrink to help yourself sleeve cable.

Quote:
You guys should help me name my cable
wink.gif

Gilded Little Whipper-snapper
or
CuAgulator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back