DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 4, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #12,542 of 16,306
Where and what normally do you guys buy the wires used for headphone recabling? Some info is greatly appreciated.

A lot of people swear by navships, a seller on eBay.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #12,543 of 16,306
Quote:

Just wanted to chime in on this... First time using navships and yeah the cable is somewhat nice, but it was coiled in a weird way for shipping or something because after I braided the 4 strands of #26 AWG SPOFC the cable had memory... even still... It wont bend certain ways and it always wants to coil and bend on its own. Probably my fault though.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #12,544 of 16,306
Quote:
I plan on twisting each pair of conductors together until the Y-split when they will become a 4-strand round braid. The heatshrink on the connector end and Y-split, as well as the soldered connections will be enough to hold the twist in place. If for some reason that doesn't work out(but it will), then I can add small pieces of clear heatshrink along the twist. 
Pretty much the same way many CIEM cables are made by all the usual names. Just take a look at a few companies that make the cables and you'll get the picture. 

Or I could just sleeve the whole thing and not worry about it at all. Though even sleeving I would still do it the same before adding the sleeve. That's just me though. 
Basically what Omark12 said. 

The Navships will be super cheap, no doubt. I've actually done a recable of some Monoprice 9927s with it just for the lawlz and practice soldering to drivers. I've also used it to practice more difficult braids first. The problem is that it isn't the most comfortable or flexible wire. It's fairly stiff and the insulation is anything but soft. It has a very "wirey" feel to it and memory prone. It just doesn't feel that comfortable over the ear in particular. I think as long as you have something like sleeving, and ear guide, or maybe clear heatshrink around the part that will touch over your ear, it'll be fine.  YMMV of course. 

Thanks so much for your input. I have to say, those 28 AWG 7N Pure UP-OCC cables look really nice. However I have zero experience in braiding cables. 
Luckily the CEO of cosmic ears read my pleas on head-fi and wants to send me some cables he was working on. So no need for me to buy interconnects etc! 

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #12,545 of 16,306
Nice. Phil is pretty awesome. Hope I can get him to do something similar when I order from him soon.

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #12,546 of 16,306
Quote:
Thanks so much for your input. I have to say, those 28 AWG 7N Pure UP-OCC cables look really nice. However I have zero experience in braiding cables. 
Luckily the CEO of cosmic ears read my pleas on head-fi and wants to send me some cables he was working on. So no need for me to buy interconnects etc! 

Note to self: Sound needy on Head-Fi

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #12,548 of 16,306
Getting back to what this thread really is about and the intent of the thread.  

It's a cable GALLERY !!!  View and enjoy!

The Sennheiser Cable with Burgundy Paracord and Canare Cable:

HifiMan Multi-Print Paracord with Canare Cable:

Royal Blue Paracord and Canare Cable for the Sennheiser:

Cable OCD !!  (Only 1 stock cable in the picture - the HifiMan Canare cable):

Keep the pictures coming!  More to follow a bit later from me ...

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #12,549 of 16,306
Quote:
Getting back to what this thread really is about and the intent of the thread.  

It's a cable GALLERY !!!  View and enjoy!

The Sennheiser Cable with Burgundy Paracord and Canare Cable:

HifiMan Multi-Print Paracord with Canare Cable:

Royal Blue Paracord and Canare Cable for the Sennheiser:

Cable OCD !!  (Only 1 stock cable in the picture - the HifiMan Canare cable):

Keep the pictures coming!  More to follow a bit later from me ...

hey wje... where you buy paracord ?

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #12,550 of 16,306
Being lazy (it's has most likely been mentioned here before) I have a question.
What is the best sonic and still flexible DIY cable for the sennheiser HD600? And can you recommend where to buy it with reasonable shipping cost to the Netherlands? Most likely someone has done some experimenting. 
Thanks in advance 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #12,551 of 16,306
Quote:
Being lazy (it's has most likely been mentioned here before) I have a question.
What is the best sonic and still flexible DIY cable for the sennheiser HD600? And can you recommend where to buy it with reasonable shipping cost to the Netherlands? Most likely someone has done some experimenting. 
Thanks in advance 
smily_headphones1.gif

Classic Nucleotide.  Plussoundaudio and artemiscables seem to have some fine stuff on them, no idea about shipping but they do ship overseas.

Quote:

Too stiff.  I don't like their sound one bit, either.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #12,552 of 16,306
Hey guys, I know a million people have asked this question, but I am going to ask again. 

I just got some HD600s. I have already purchased the HD650 cardas connectors and a neutrik 1/4th inch plug. 

I am looking for some cheap and decent cable. I am trying to make a 10 foot cable for 30 bucks total, so I am willing to spend 20 bucks on wire. 

I am trying to avoid buying crap, but I am still trying to find something better than a stock HD600 cable. 

Am I stuck spending 40 bucks on the basic plussound copper wire, or is there another option? 

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #12,553 of 16,306
More Cable Pictures ...

Another cable.  A Canare cable with black paracord.  A 1/4" Amphenol connector.  Ironically, I've had a bit more success with Amphenol as opposed to Neutrik lately.  The Amphenol seems to have a tighter tolerance with the 1/4" plug itself.  The Neutrik apparently had a looser tolerance and some would tend to be a bit "sloppy" when inserted into my female headphone jacks.  The Neutrik had a bit more play if you would jiggle the connector a bit.  The Amphenol, on the other hand, fit a bit tighter.  I really love Neutrik due to their design and they are a gem to work with.  However, I guess I was a bit bothered recently from my personal situation with them.

A Sennheiser cable - 7' in length.  Canare cable.  Acrolink Sennheiser pin connectors and a 1/4" Ampenol TRS plug.  The color of the paracord is referred to as "B-Spec".    I was able to find it on Ebay.  To me, it's a pretty sharp cable sleeve ... especially with the Sennheiser HD-600 and 650.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #12,554 of 16,306
Hey guys, I know a million people have asked this question, but I am going to ask again. 

I just got some HD600s. I have already purchased the HD650 cardas connectors and a neutrik 1/4th inch plug. 

I am looking for some cheap and decent cable. I am trying to make a 10 foot cable for 30 bucks total, so I am willing to spend 20 bucks on wire. 

I am trying to avoid buying crap, but I am still trying to find something better than a stock HD600 cable. 

Am I stuck spending 40 bucks on the basic plussound copper wire, or is there another option? 

On your budget you won't be able to find separate conductors for braiding unless you choose something like navships.

Your best bet is to pick up some Mogami or Canare. If you decide to strip the insulation and braid it, make sure you pick up a foot or two extra. It will shorten a bit with the braid and it's always nice to have headroom for mistakes.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #12,555 of 16,306
Quote:
On your budget you won't be able to find separate conductors for braiding unless you choose something like navships.

Your best bet is to pick up some Mogami or Canare. If you decide to strip the insulation and braid it, make sure you pick up a foot or two extra. It will shorten a bit with the braid and it's always nice to have headroom for mistakes.

Ended up going the mogami route. 

On paper this is exactly what I was looking for. I was able to get 11 feet for just under 20 bucks. 

I ended up not getting the naval ship stuff because there seems to be some problems with it. Was this a mistake? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back