DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 2, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #12,496 of 16,306
We got 2 different things here. Troll is saying the one on the left, is the left channel, and wje is saying the one of the right is the left channel. Hmm. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #12,497 of 16,306
Quote:
We got 2 different things here. Troll is saying the one on the left, is the left channel, and wje is saying the one of the right is the left channel. Hmm. 

Good point.  I went to check the Canare F-12 wiring points.  However, the diagram that I found had different Tip and Ring connection points than the picture you posted.  Ideally, though, a $20 multimeter is more trusty than even a diagram from the Interweb.

Edit: If you look at this picture of the Canare F-12, you'll see that the points for soldering are a bit different than your pic.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery/4260#post_5678593

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #12,498 of 16,306
Quote:
Sorry don't mean to confuse, have a look at this.

I would check with a multimeter for continuity personally but if you don't have one on had I believe that this is right.  I am not sure though now that I think of it.  

Aug 2, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #12,499 of 16,306
Just finished up my first ever good quality DIY cable. Pictures don't do it justice, but it looks sweet in person. Maybe I'll upload a better one later..
Specs:
  1. Milloit braid
  2. Stripped down Mogami W2534 #24 AWG conductors 
  3. Heatshrinked y-split and terminations
  4. Sleeved in tech flex
  5. Cardas quad eutectic solder
  6. Terminated with Amphenol 3.5 mm and HifiMan SMC connectors
She gave me a lot of trouble in the making, but at the end this beauty of a behemoth was worth it; she's practically indestructible. I call her Sascha. May be up for sale soon, pm if interested. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #12,500 of 16,306
Quote:

I would check with a multimeter for continuity personally but if you don't have one on had I believe that this is right.  I am not sure though now that I think of it.  

Yes please, someone check this with a multimeter, or I will tonight and post a picture. As the laws of physics dictate that it is the only possible way it could be machined and sent through the injection molder.

The Tip is a nickel plated brass post that comes all the way through, surrounded by two sleeves, the Ring and the Shield.
If the solder point closest to the threads was going to the tip they would have to cross the connection inside the plug, and that would be impossible.
beerchug.gif

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #12,503 of 16,306
I have a meter, where should I put the 2 pin things?

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #12,504 of 16,306
Quote:
Quote:

Good point.  I went to check the Canare F-12 wiring points.  However, the diagram that I found had different Tip and Ring connection points than the picture you posted.  Ideally, though, a $20 multimeter is more trusty than even a diagram from the Interweb.

Edit: If you look at this picture of the Canare F-12, you'll see that the points for soldering are a bit different than your pic.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery/4260#post_5678593

That is the 3.5mm version. The one I pictured is the 2.5mm.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #12,505 of 16,306
Quote:

Since you are investing in all these tools (highly commended) to do DIY stuff, I'd really recommend spending a little more time and research or even experimentation to learn how to use them instead of having your hand held every step of the way.  You will learn more thoroughly and have much more gratification when you accomplish your builds.  I think the generosity and eagerness of Headfiers to help out is fantastic, but I think it also becomes a crutch for new folks and also derails threads.  

This is a gallery, not a DIY help thread.  That said, since I have no picture to post, I will share knowledge:  set your multimeter to resistance, touch one probe point on the tip (left channel) and touch other parts of the connector to see where the resistance drops to zero, indicating continuity and the corresponding point for the tip.  Do the same for the ring (right channel), and ground.  This is also useful to do with the ends of wires if you did not pre-lable them prior to braiding.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #12,506 of 16,306
Quote:
Quote:

Since you are investing in all these tools (highly commended) to do DIY stuff, I'd really recommend spending a little more time and research or even experimentation to learn how to use them instead of having your hand held every step of the way.  You will learn more thoroughly and have much more gratification when you accomplish your builds.  I think the generosity and eagerness of Headfiers to help out is fantastic, but I think it also becomes a crutch for new folks and also derails threads.  

This is a gallery, not a DIY help thread.  That said, since I have no picture to post, I will share knowledge:  set your multimeter to resistance, touch one probe point on the tip (left channel) and touch other parts of the connector to see where the resistance drops to zero, indicating continuity and the corresponding point for the tip.  Do the same for the ring (right channel), and ground.  This is also useful to do with the ends of wires if you did not pre-lable them prior to braiding.

Oh. Sorry about that. I have no clue where to look though. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #12,509 of 16,306
Quote:

T50RP V2 + cardas 4x24 awg + oyaide rhodium plugs straight and angle.

Very nice.  Did you have to mess with anything to get them to fit into that small hole that fostex calls a connection?  Also what plug did you use. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #12,510 of 16,306
Quote:

The solder contact being labeled by wje as left is probably right instead, the left usually is smaller in order to fit through the right with insulation between them as they both lead to the TRS contacts.

And if that plug is going to be used for the headphone end of an HD558 cable, it is too big.

Edit: compare the proportions: link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back