DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #8,537 of 16,305

Quote:
Decided to recable my grados! Used 22AWG silver cable, Viablue 3.5 interconnect, and Qable y-splitter. The sleeve I found online, overall flexible yet sturdy!

Very nice. Where did you get the wire? And isn't 22AWG too big for headphones? Also, where did you get the connectors?
I just realised you might not want to give this info. I'm asking out of pure curiosity, but lately I've realised some people don't want to share details on suppliers or ways to create cables.

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #8,539 of 16,305

Quote:
Very nice. Where did you get the wire? And isn't 22AWG too big for headphones? Also, where did you get the connectors?
I just realised you might not want to give this info. I'm asking out of pure curiosity, but lately I've realised some people don't want to share details on suppliers or ways to create cables.

Haha I don't mind at all. I bought the Viablues and Y-splitter from Qables, and the wire from an eBay seller called "navships". I bought the shielded silver kapton teflon wire (with 2 strands) - 25' for $30 or so.. I don't find 22 too large for the headphones - I find it very flexible and sound quality is definitely improved.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #8,540 of 16,305

Quote:
Haha I don't mind at all. I bought the Viablues and Y-splitter from Qables, and the wire from an eBay seller called "navships". I bought the shielded silver kapton teflon wire (with 2 strands) - 25' for $30 or so.. I don't find 22 too large for the headphones - I find it very flexible and sound quality is definitely improved.

Ah yes. You mean silver-plated copper, since navships doesn't sell pure silver.
I thought the kapton insulation was even more rigid than regular teflon, and navship's wire was already known to be pretty stiff. I might actually give it a try. I don't need wires to be like rubber, as long as it's not as stiff as coathanger.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #8,541 of 16,305
Navship's kapton insulated wire is very stiff. I think it'd be better for short LOD's and interconnects if you need it bent in a specific angle because they hold bends and shape very well due to the stiffness. The K518's I just recabled with the multicolored wire is just Teflon and while it holds a bit of memory it's much softer than the kapton stuff. It's still on the stiffer side of what I'd prefer but I don't mind it at all.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #8,542 of 16,305

Quote:
Please keep posts in this thread limited to images and specs of DIY cables and comments relating directly to them. This is a gallery first and foremost.

If you wish to discuss wire in detail BEYOND asking about the details of posted pics, I suggest starting your own thread. Only one picture every few pages, which is where this thread had headed is a bit TOO far away from the original intent. Thanks.
smile.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #8,544 of 16,305

Quote:
I've started a reference & help for cabling thread. The kickoff posts are pretty thin right now, as I'm continuing to dig up and add information, but everybody's welcome to begin using that as a new cable building Q&A thread.

Nice work! Looks pretty good to me.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #8,546 of 16,305
Does anyone have a good cheap source for small-gauge (26AWG?), stranded, silver-plated copper? I would be using it for a headphone recable.

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #8,548 of 16,305
Feb 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #8,549 of 16,305
Calm down guys, it's ok...

I'm just lazy. Would you honestly read the last page in a 500+ page thread looking for the answer to a quick question before posting it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back