DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 1, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #5,476 of 16,309
Ah if that's the case, then I'll assume that its the same as SPC. All military outfits have used SPC since forever because its cheap and the silver protects the copper. The wire from Navships audio is also milspec spc wire.

I did a bit of searching for silver clad and it seems to confirm what I thought, its the same as spc. Both use a lower grade of copper production from OCC but are commonly used in industry because of the added protection of silver on copper and the cost of copper.

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #5,477 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah if that's the case, then I'll assume that its the same as SPC. All military outfits have used SPC since forever because its cheap and the silver protects the copper. The wire from Navships audio is also milspec spc wire.

I did a bit of searching for silver clad and it seems to confirm what I thought, its the same as spc. Both use a lower grade of copper production from OCC but are commonly used in industry because of the added protection of silver on copper and the cost of copper.

Ah ha.... I'll see if i can dig up the paper he sent me with the cable. It says right on it the copper is OCC of high purity, and the silver is also several 9s behind the decimal point. It is a technical spec build sheet, and hard to figure out, but that much is easy to get from it. It was supposed to be different from anything else they normally use, and i have never known my cousin to lie, but I can't prove anything of course...

I have heard quite a bit of low grade SPC, and this sounds nothing like that zingy and bright stuff, but once again, who knows. I will contact Scott for more info and report back.

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #5,478 of 16,309
Nothing particularly special here. I found Audio Technica AT-EA1000 wire being sold in my local hardware store here for about $7/meter. I bought a couple of meters and whipped up an interconnect with Canare F-09 plugs, which fit both the cable and internal wires perfectly. Canare plugs are a bit expensive here, so the total cost came to about $32 (2960 yen).

2010-03-31_DIY_Audio_Technica_RCA_cables_327.png

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #5,479 of 16,309
local shop in japan or in Australia?

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #5,480 of 16,309
In Japan. No way an Australian hardware store would stock decent audio cable. Japan is weird like that; things turn up in odd places.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #5,481 of 16,309
Well, I decided to try my hand at my first headphone re-cable. It was harder than it seemed, but mostly because I really didn't know what I was doing or how to go about it. I tried to keep the single entry, but the wire just was too thick to fit into the headband to do that, so I switched to dual entry. The end result... they seem to be a little cleaner through out the frequency range, the bass seems a little less flabby, but there really wasn't a huge performance jump.

My only issue is... maybe I pushed too much into the 1/8th inch Nylon sleeving? It looks stiff (I twisted the wiring inside the split), but it really isn't.

Mogami W2534 wiring (stripped and braided)
1/4" & 1/8" Nylon sleeving
Neutrik 1/8" Stereo Plug
RatShack 1/4" plug housing for the split

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #5,482 of 16,309
Apr 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #5,483 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I decided to try my hand at my first headphone re-cable. It was harder than it seemed, but mostly because I really didn't know what I was doing or how to go about it. I tried to keep the single entry, but the wire just was too thick to fit into the headband to do that, so I switched to dual entry. The end result... they seem to be a little cleaner through out the frequency range, the bass seems a little less flabby, but there really wasn't a huge performance jump..

Mogami W2534 wiring (stripped and braided)
1/4" & 1/8" Nylon sleeving
Neutrik 1/8" Stereo Plug
RatShack 1/4" plug housing for the split

You'll have to let the 2534 burn in for at least 50 hours before finalizing any conclusions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Proel cable today. I just want to check on something.

It comes as a figure of eight and what looked like one wired in each sheath. But when I stripped the sheath back I found not one but two wires. One is in its own sheathing inside the other wire.

Proel HPC305 fig 8 2 core screened interconnect cable on eBay (end time 19-Apr-10 14:49:14 BST)

So, how does that work? What do I solder to what?

Thanks

I'm not quite sure what you're describing; however, if there's two wires then, one would be signal while the other is ground...

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #5,484 of 16,309
Currawond,
How much is typical price for Canare cables in Japan? (i.e. 2t2s, 4e6s)

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #5,485 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not quite sure what you're describing; however, if there's two wires then, one would be signal while the other is ground...

Here

4481233477_c9f7f3987e.jpg

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #5,486 of 16,309
the wire with no insulation is the shield, which will be soldered to ground, and the other wire is the signal.

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #5,487 of 16,309
Here's my first DIY cable. These are split entry balanced K702's. I litz braided some Double Helix Nucleotide wire and encased part of it in carbon techflex. The cable was left "naked" at the Y. I ordered a second right side ear cup and used some rubber grommets from Moon Audio for strain relief. The setup sounds great!

horio-albums-diy-picture5094-akg-k702-diy-balanced-split-entry-nucleotide-02.jpg

horio-albums-diy-picture5095-akg-k702-diy-balanced-split-entry-nucleotide-01.jpg

horio-albums-diy-picture5096-akg-k702-diy-balanced-split-entry-nucleotide-03.jpg

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #5,488 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my first DIY cable. These are split entry balanced K702's. I litz braided some Double Helix Nucleotide wire and encased part of it in carbon techflex. The cable was left "naked" at the Y. I ordered a second right side ear cup and used some rubber grommets from Moon Audio for strain relief. The setup sounds great!

That looks AWESOME! You have any more pictures, maybe a part number/link to those grommets and wire? I
m about to pickup some K702s myself and would like to do a dual entry.

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #5,489 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That looks AWESOME! You have any more pictures, maybe a part number/link to those grommets and wire? I
m about to pickup some K702s myself and would like to do a dual entry.

I bought the grommets from Moon Audio. Just shoot them an email, as its not listed on their website anywhere. The wire is from Double Helix Cables. You can order spare parts for the K702's by emailing the parts department. Feel free to shoot me an PM if you have any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back