DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 27, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #5,446 of 16,312
Here's some more DIY cable madness ... The cables on this box, all went to one member. There's even a impedance adapter to take 600ohm cans down to 80 ohms ...

012.jpg

Here is some pics of Mil Spec stranded high purity copper, clad ( not coated ) in very fine, high purity silver. I took the 12ga wire, divided down to 4 strands each, which ended up being 24.7 ga .... Then took those 4 strands twisted tightly together, encased them in natural cotton sleeves, and 4 round braided them for my new DIY HD-580 cables. I'll post more pics of the built cable when I am finished with it.

007-1.jpg

005-2.jpg

018.jpg

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #5,447 of 16,312
I'm looking for a connector to fit my first gen iPhone. Yeah the 3.5mm ones with a smaller barreldiameter. 90 Degree angle would be nice. Preferably goldplated.

I'm trying to replace a extension cable that developed a baaaad connection in that one very plug which also happens to be cast one. I've been to a local apple reseller but he could only get me a extension with a built-in mic from belkin i believe. I'm not looking for a mic though, otherwise i'd just get the shure version.

I've been looking around online and have gone back about 60 pages in this thread now but so far i haven't seen anything i like yet. Is there anything out there that doesn't require cutting or sanding ?

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #5,450 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by C.44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a connector to fit my first gen iPhone. Yeah the 3.5mm ones with a smaller barreldiameter. 90 Degree angle would be nice. Preferably goldplated.

I'm trying to replace a extension cable that developed a baaaad connection in that one very plug which also happens to be cast one. I've been to a local apple reseller but he could only get me a extension with a built-in mic from belkin i believe. I'm not looking for a mic though, otherwise i'd just get the shure version.

I've been looking around online and have gone back about 60 pages in this thread now but so far i haven't seen anything i like yet. Is there anything out there that doesn't require cutting or sanding ?

Gone back another 100 pages in this topic, but sofar i haven't seen anything
frown.gif

Anyone with a suggestion or idea ?

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #5,452 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Neutrik right angle?

As far as i can tell from their website they don't have anything that will fit my first gen without modification ?

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #5,453 of 16,312
Well 3.5mm plugs don't come much smaller than the ones Neutrik offers. The threaded Ultrasone connectors from Qables are the smallest I know of.

35%20US%20threaded%20male%20700.jpg

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #5,454 of 16,312
I have been practising and this is my first serious attempt at soldering. This is a cheap jack from Maplins and some cheap unnamed cable. I tinned the cable, put a little bend on it to go through the hole in the tab and then soldered. The soldering appears to be fine, but from these pictures can any of you tell if it looks OK or not?

4473758038_bc927ede29_b.jpg

4472981759_0e706c2b77_b.jpg

The solder has stuck to the cable and tab. It looks smooth. Can someone also confirm if once tinned do you still try to heat the cable with the soldering iron to melt the solder or do you touch the solder with the iron to melt it around the wire tip at the tab.

Thanks! Brilliant new hobby this!!

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #5,455 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by C.44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as i can tell from their website they don't have anything that will fit my first gen without modification ?

No readily available plug will fit the botched 1st-gen iPhone. You'd either have to use a dremel or something similar on a brand plug (if possible) or use a plug cut off from some stock earbuds (much easier). But I guess upgrading to a less silly phone would be the future-proof solution.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #5,457 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's so special about the 1G iPhone then?

The headphone jack is mounted low in the iPhone housing. The plug (isolation) need to be slim to reach down into it.

You might be able to see it here: http://www.tinotopia.com/wordpress/w...headphone1.jpg

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #5,458 of 16,312
Hi there.... Your soldering actually looks pretty good, but there are a couple of things you could do that would be a little better.
The main one, is where you have made your 90 degree bends, is actually not a good idea, and here is why : First, the extra wire that sticks out from the side can possibly short out eventually through the clear insulation, and remember, SOME typrs of different plugs do not use any kind of insulation. It also can make SOME connectors not want to fit over that extra wire sticking out. The other issue, is if you do screw on the connector, and it is tight due to the extra wire, thus bending those tabs back inwards toward the middle, they can easily touch each other and short out.
the answer is to NOT use the holes in those tabs... here's how: If you tin the wire good, and then lay down a blob of solder on the tab, all you have to do next is take a pair of small pliers, like needlenose, grab the wire within about a half inch of the end, and using the pliers pull the wire over till it touches the tab. While holding it there, place the soldering iron tip on the wire and heat until you see the wire, AND the solder on the tab become one. Remove the soldering iron while holding the pliers very steady a few seconds until the solder cools and grabs, and you are done.

Here is a pic of a connector I soldered ...

002-4.jpg

See how the wire lead from the resistor just lays against the tab, instead of bending to go through it ? This is what I am referring to. The clear blobs are just hot glue, to prevent anything from shorting out inside the connector.

The only other thing is this : Always use the least amount of solder possible to still get a good connection. Excess solder is NOT a good thing.

But for the most part, your job looks great !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been practising and this is my first serious attempt at soldering. This is a cheap jack from Maplins and some cheap unnamed cable. I tinned the cable, put a little bend on it to go through the hole in the tab and then soldered. The soldering appears to be fine, but from these pictures can any of you tell if it looks OK or not?

4473758038_bc927ede29_b.jpg

4472981759_0e706c2b77_b.jpg

The solder has stuck to the cable and tab. It looks smooth. Can someone also confirm if once tinned do you still try to heat the cable with the soldering iron to melt the solder or do you touch the solder with the iron to melt it around the wire tip at the tab.

Thanks! Brilliant new hobby this!!

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #5,459 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No readily available plug will fit the botched 1st-gen iPhone. You'd either have to use a dremel or something similar on a brand plug (if possible) or use a plug cut off from some stock earbuds (much easier). But I guess upgrading to a less silly phone would be the future-proof solution.
smily_headphones1.gif

Upgrading would probably be the best solution. However, the first gen also has a much sturdier housing, which is something the newer ones lack.

I've come across neutrik's plugs on a german webshop. I am leaning towards the goldplated right angle one, however, i have no idea if that specific plug will allow me to trim it down a bit. Haven't ever seen one of these naked to see if grinding it down will damage it internally.

Are there any specific brands i should take a look at for this purpose ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back