DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 26, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #5,435 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used paracord sheathing. $5 will get you 100 feet of it from more army surplus stores. Also called 550 cord.

Haha, I do this too! Just remove all the nylon strands and you have a fantastic sleeving material! Use a low flame (like a lighter) to seal the ends and prevent fraying.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #5,436 of 16,312
New pictures for the gallery:

"Scopper" cables

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture5102-copper-silver-rca.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture5100-copper-silver-rca-close.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture5101-copper-silver-rca-plugs.jpg

2x1' 24awg OCC silver in teflon tubing for signal
2x1' 24awg Mogami Neglex OFC for return
A&B Systems silver plated RCA plugs with copper finished bodies

I have an addiction to RCA plugs and found these while spending far too much time on the internet looking for interesting plugs. These were from a small Hong Kong based shop on ebay. I have bought two sets of connectors from them and both times, they exceeded my expectations for quality. The silver plating is listed at 1 micron thick and it isn't hard to believe looking at the plugs in person. I am just excited that someone made a plug that could match the prettiness of a copper/silver braid. These shorties are my current (I have an inability to use a set more than a month before the itch to build again sets in) set between my switchbox and headphone amp.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #5,437 of 16,312
And one more:

"Bling" mini to mini

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture5106-bling-mini-mini.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture5105-bling-mini-mini-plug.jpg

4x18" Nucleotide OCC copper in a round litz braid
1 layer of silver mylar techflex
1 layer of black techflex
Valab gold plated mini's with rhodium plated shells
Clear PVC heatshrink to protect the shells

Shiny and sparkly (moreso than the picture shows)! The Valab mini's are the best looking (and very nicely made) mini plugs I have come across. I have a thing for rhodium so as soon as I saw these I had to buy a couple pairs. Only problem with the cable is that I probably should have made it 3 feet long. 18" works, but 3 feet would have been better. The sparkly look is really growing on me, despite my normal affinity for plain multifilament or naked braids. Darn you Doublehelixcables for all the sleeving ideas! Now I have to make more cables just to play with sleeving. I made tons of cables to test materials, and then connectors. I guess this is the last step in the evolution of the hobby for me.

Mar 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #5,439 of 16,312
Quote:

I used paracord sheathing. $5 will get you 100 feet of it from more army surplus stores. Also called 550 cord.

you mean 50$
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #5,443 of 16,312
Quote:

I tried this with some nylon rope I found at Target. Looks great in general, but the weave isn't tight enough to completely survive the sleeving process. Random loops pop up as the material is moved. I may still pull it off, but definitely people looking to get creative should focus on tighter weaves so that there is more forgiveness.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #5,444 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried this with some nylon rope I found at Target. Looks great in general, but the weave isn't tight enough to completely survive the sleeving process. Random loops pop up as the material is moved. I may still pull it off, but definitely people looking to get creative should focus on tighter weaves so that there is more forgiveness.

Paracord is by no means your typical nylon rope
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #5,445 of 16,312
Trust me, paracord will do the job just as well as nylon multifilament. Especially if you take the time to prep the wires so all the sharp and pointy ends are covered with heatshrink so it won't snag the sleeving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back