DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 3, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #5,506 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought so. Great work.
wink.gif

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

I wonder why the 2534 is so easy to recognize...despite the fact that there are many other wires out there that looks similar.

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #5,507 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!
biggrin.gif

I wonder why the 2534 is so easy to recognize...despite the fact that there are many other wires out there that looks similar.

b/c it has a unique look to it
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #5,508 of 16,309
I'm looking to built some speaker wires for my Woo WA5. I would be very grateful if you could tell me recommended guage, wire and where to get it. I'm have a very difficult time locating some good cable.

I have some RCA's, and shrink, but need to find some good cable to work with.

Your help is very much appreciated.

William~

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #5,509 of 16,309
Modena: You should start a thread on this, as it's off-topic here, but RCA cables aren't used for speakers. What exactly do you wish to connect to what? I'm guessing you have powered speakers.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #5,512 of 16,309
Head-Fi can be an expensive place. Foolish me thought the DIY area might be less expensive to hang out in. Maybe not? There are some very nice custom cables listed in this thread, but I'm looking for something else.

Microphonics on IEMs drive crazy. How do I mod an older pair of Shures to reduce/eliminate this noise? Can I slip a sheath over the stock cable or is a complete re-cable in my future? Should I sheath the cable with cotton, the mesh most of you use, a combo of heat shrink over cotton, or??

This project is for use while moving around, not critical listening, so uber cable and connectors are less a priority than making cable noises go away. Coiling the IEMs up to fit in my pocket or at least into my bag is also important.

Fraggle's post quoted below has some interesting sounding cables. Would one of these be a good place to start?

Quote:

I haven't come across a wire as flexible as the Cooner SPC wire that Koyaan I Sqatsi introduced me to. It has a ridiculous amount of stranding and a silicone insulation. However, it is thick. Not sure the exact gauge, but at least 20awg, possibly 18awg. It is silver plated copper and has been the absolute perfect cable for my portable headphones due to its flexibility.

Runner up for me is the Nucleotide OCC copper from Doublehelixcables. Pretty finely stranded with a polyethelene insulation. I haven't tried any from the newest batch, but it is supposed to be even more flexible now due to some annealing added to its manufacturing process. It is 24awg.

I have stripped 22, 24, and 26awg wires out of various Mogami wire and used them with good success, but the Nucleotide is still more flexible, especially when compared to the 22 and 24awg Mogami.

Everything else I have used has been solid core or super stiff (Navships SPC)

Hope that helps.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #5,513 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by amajors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Fi can be an expensive place. Foolish me thought the DIY area might be less expensive to hang out in. Maybe not? There are some very nice custom cables listed in this thread, but I'm looking for something else.

Microphonics on IEMs drive crazy. How do I mod an older pair of Shures to reduce/eliminate this noise? Can I slip a sheath over the stock cable or is a complete re-cable in my future? Should I sheath the cable with cotton, the mesh most of you use, a combo of heat shrink over cotton, or??

This project is for use while moving around, not critical listening, so uber cable and connectors are less a priority than making cable noises go away. Coiling the IEMs up to fit in my pocket or at least into my bag is also important.

Fraggle's post quoted below has some interesting sounding cables. Would one of these be a good place to start?

Quote:

I haven't come across a wire as flexible as the Cooner SPC wire that Koyaan I Sqatsi introduced me to. It has a ridiculous amount of stranding and a silicone insulation. However, it is thick. Not sure the exact gauge, but at least 20awg, possibly 18awg. It is silver plated copper and has been the absolute perfect cable for my portable headphones due to its flexibility.

Runner up for me is the Nucleotide OCC copper from Doublehelixcables. Pretty finely stranded with a polyethelene insulation. I haven't tried any from the newest batch, but it is supposed to be even more flexible now due to some annealing added to its manufacturing process. It is 24awg.

I have stripped 22, 24, and 26awg wires out of various Mogami wire and used them with good success, but the Nucleotide is still more flexible, especially when compared to the 22 and 24awg Mogami.

Everything else I have used has been solid core or super stiff (Navships SPC)

Hope that helps.

As far as Micro-phonics , I suggest you using stranded copper only. Silver of any kind is quite Micro-phonic especially the cables by Navships. They are ideally used for interconnects in which case is better than using copper.

Also, eliminating noise has to do a lot with the shielding as well as how the signal is braided along with the shield. For flexibility, you should use cotton not any metallic materials. However, shielding with metallic materials can provide you with better noise protection. Using heat shrink is fine, just make sure to use the flexible type.

However, as far as your current Shures, I'm not sure how to even re-cable them. To me, it seems quite difficult for a beginner since there's no external plug like some of the IEMs discussed here have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modena /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My apologies. RCA's are for the sub. Going from my WA5 to speakers.

You could always just pick up speaker wires along with speaker plugs. That's really simple and it sounds just fine, otherwise you could invest in better wires (Cardas for example) and braid them and use it with nicer speaker plugs (WBT, or even Cardas again)

It really depends on how much you want to invest.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #5,515 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm just wondering, is terminating coaxial audio cables the same as normal wires?

If its just 1 strand where is the ground?

Conventional rca interconnects use coaxial cables.
The shield is used as ground.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #5,520 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And since I was reminding people this was a gallery:

6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter:
fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4553-6-3mm-3-5mm-adapter.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4554-6-3mm-3-5mm-adapter-sleeving.jpg

4x6" of Nucleotide OCC copper in a round litz braid
Neutrik mini
Neutrik locking 6.3mm in line jack
Silver mylar techflex
Black PET techflex

This was my first time experimenting with more than one layer of sleeving. The effect is hard to catch with my camera, but it has a nice shimmer to it in the light. Makes it stiff, though. The Neutrik jack was a treat to work with after all the mini's I usually make.

I was inspired by this, so I made my own:
Neutrik 1/4 female --> Canare starquad --> Canare miniplug.
dscf1085b.jpg

I also needed another cable, so I took the liberty of making one while the soldering iron was hot

It's a Neutrik 1/4 male (sweet plug by the way) --> canare starquad --> Neutrik (re'an) RCA
(They only had it in black, so I labeled them with masking tape)
dscf1083k.jpg

By the way, I'm way too lazy to take good pictures. If anyone wans better ones, I'll go make my friend with the Canon come downstairs. I didn't have a white surface handy, so I put some (used) printer paper on the 'frige.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back