here is a AKG cable i mad for a fello Head-Fier

L1000944.jpg

And a mini to mini cable

L1000949.jpg

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #5,539 of 16,309
Apr 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #5,540 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by netsky3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of AKG 240 and i'm thinking about change the cable as you have done but i don't know if it worth or is only a loss of money :/
Wich cable should i use for do a good job?
smily_headphones1.gif

It's definitely not a waste of money. If nothing less than having your own length it's worth it (I went from the stock 10ft to a more manageable 5ft), since I listen at my computer. I used Mogami W2534 and there was a definite audible difference. It brought up the Mids and Lower end. The highs didn't change much.
FriFeb19094052EST2010.jpg
MonMar08160305EST2010.jpg

First build was Audio only, second build was a re-work of the first 1 and added a Microphone for gaming... very good quality gaming out of that set.

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #5,541 of 16,309
My first cable. Plain and simple using Neutrik Rean phonos and Proel cable.

4517313797_88edaf489e.jpg

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #5,542 of 16,309
Everybody
biggrin.gif

I'm glad to join the club

After all I've heard about it, I definately needed a LOD! Here's why: I use my ipod video with my flac files for both my portable (Klipsch S4 Image/ Grado SR80i --> MINI³) and desktop (HD650 --> SSMH) rigs. Allthough I always had to use the headphone out because I couldn't find a cheap and nearby shop for DIY connectors and cable (luckily I found Qables!).

Now I finally got the chance to make a first attempt at making an LOD and here it is. It was quite nervewrecking, but I'm content with the result, especially since it's my first time.

Neutrik mini plug, 99.9 solid core silver wire.
The blurryness you see at the dock connecter itself is tape wrapped around it for the glue to set.

1013670.jpg

I know it's quite long, but before getting myself in some supercompact LODs, i thought I'd go ahead and make sure that I at least have a working one in case I waste too much material.

What a revelation!! I don't say this to follow the crowd, but WOW. The difference is astonishing, so much more detail and a wider soundstage, I'm still amazed. I'm glad I spent the money on the parts.

I hope to start building a female 3.5 -> RCA male, dock connector --> RCA and male 3.5 --> RCA tomorrow.

Dries

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #5,543 of 16,309
I have a portable Dac/Amp (uDac). I was wondering if anyone has built or have seen a USB cable that will power the uDac, but have all the actual 'signal' wiring connected to a Mini-USB female connector, so that I could then connect my iPod via a dock connector to USB to connect that to the 'signal' mini usb on the custom cable for the uDac. I'm sure that didn't make sense, but if it did... and you have, let me know. If not, I can photoshop together an image of what I'm referring to. Maybe that could be a new project for me (if I can get a schematic of the USB cable that'll show me which ones are power, which are signal). If you haven't guessed, the other end of the USB cable will be attached to a USB Wallwart.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #5,545 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by netsky3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of AKG 240 and i'm thinking about change the cable as you have done but i don't know if it worth or is only a loss of money :/
Wich cable should i use for do a good job?
smily_headphones1.gif

Well to me the sound difference is minimal but I definitely think that the looks and comfort of customs cables make them worth it.

You might be able to get a significant sound difference if you use some serious high end cable or wire.

I would suggest using Mogami 2534 or Canare l-4e6s. they are both great cheap cables that offer slight sound improvement. You could also look at Cardas star quad and neotech cable if you want something higher end.

Custom cables are definitely not a waste of money and i encourage you to try and make one for your K240's.

Hope this helps.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #5,546 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llama16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
somthing like this?

Actually, more like this...
ipod-source-udac.jpg

Just wondering if anyone has done anything like this, as I wouldn't mind listening using the uDac, but not have to lug around my Netbook to do it (then again... with all these wires, it's almost the same thing). It was just a thought anyway.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #5,547 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farnsworth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well to me the sound difference is minimal but I definitely think that the looks and comfort of customs cables make them worth it.

You might be able to get a significant sound difference if you use some serious high end cable or wire.

I would suggest using Mogami 2534 or Canare l-4e6s. they are both great cheap cables that offer slight sound improvement. You could also look at Cardas star quad and neotech cable if you want something higher end.

Custom cables are definitely not a waste of money and i encourage you to try and make one for your K240's.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply!
Now i know some name of cable to search but now the priority is for a good amp
frown.gif
Then the cable...

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #5,548 of 16,309
a135f65a.jpg

Stock AD700 Cable
Mogami Stereo Connector

2952d905.jpg

Mogami W2893 - DeSkinned and wrapped in Nylon Multifilament
KVConnection 4 pole adapters
Neutrik Polished bodies
- To be used in place of the Stock AD700 Cable (for Gaming)...

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #5,550 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, more like this...
Just wondering if anyone has done anything like this, as I wouldn't mind listening using the uDac, but not have to lug around my Netbook to do it (then again... with all these wires, it's almost the same thing). It was just a thought anyway.

Here is a link to the pinouts for a USB connector: USB pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

Pinouts for the Ipod connector: Apple iPod and iPhone (2g, 3g) Dock Interfaces pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

I don't think it will work, though. I wouldn't imagine the Ipod being setup to send it's audio data via the usb cable in a manner that the uDac can read as its normal uses are for syncing and charging. Otherwise, we probably would have seen many implementations of ipod docks going into portable USB dacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back