DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 18, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #5,566 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
img8386f.jpg

and some rca's i made with vampire 20ga and copper shield ^_^

sweet leads! Can you post a link where you got the wire and shield from?

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #5,569 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wire was from Michael Percy Audio Ordering Information vampire 20ga
copper shielding was from glensgarage.com O_o way cheaper then other places was suspicious if it was alu but its copper.
the rca's are from china >$2 each good deal imo

need to buy some clear heatshrink and slap it on there

Interested in where you can find those RCAs. China is kinda big.
beerchug.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #5,570 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that Llama16, so too late now! You did a very neat job. Rather than mark the jack, have you got any tape/heatshrink that can go around one of the wires?

I saw some lovely bullet phonos for £4 each, but they have no markings. So what I was going to do was to find different coloured cables and have the cables do the identification.

Quote:

Try Markertek for different color shrink tubing (probably 3:1 shrink), one blue and one red. That should fit over the connector and shrink down enough to fit on the current cable.

Yeah i've thought of that. I couldn't find any colored heatshrink that would fit over the connecters, but I bought some red heatshrink to put over the right lead. Allthough it was single wall, so I didn't go through with it as it would have made that lead way more flexible then the other.

I'll try to find that markertek and cut of maybe 1mm, then put it over the connector as a ring.

Thanks for the tip

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #5,571 of 16,312
Well ... A great friend of mine also has HD-580s, so he ended up with my lovely first version cable that sounded so good, so this is the almost identical one I made for myself :

The Black Snake Moan Sennheiser Re-cable cable ...LOL

004-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

002-7.jpg

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #5,573 of 16,312
AKG K702 re-cable using Switchcraft jack and mini XLR and Van Damme cable.

4531915506_b6d92964c2_b.jpg

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #5,575 of 16,312
Thanks PJPro. First attempt and it works! I am chuffed.

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #5,576 of 16,312
Quote:

Thanks PJPro. First attempt and it works! I am chuffed.

Nice Cable... now you need to get some Nylon on there to 'purdy' it up!
smile.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #5,577 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice Cable... now you need to get some Nylon on there to 'purdy' it up!
smile.gif

I know! I just wanted to make one that worked and to see how cheaply it could be done. That cable cost about £10.

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #5,578 of 16,312
Quote:

I know! I just wanted to make one that worked and to see how cheaply it could be done. That cable cost about £10.

Not bad! That's a good price! You saved yourself probably $100 or so than buying.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #5,579 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not bad! That's a good price! You saved yourself probably $100 or so than buying.
wink.gif

Actually, I have not really made a saving. I have gone back to the stock cable. My one does not sound as good. It is muddled with an odd soundstage and less detail.

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #5,580 of 16,312
Quote:

Actually, I have not really made a saving. I have gone back to the stock cable. My one does not sound as good. It is muddled with an odd soundstage and less detail.

That's not good! I build my cables with Mogami W2534, SwitchCraft MiniXLR and Neutrik 1/8th or 1/4 connectors and have been told they sound better than stock AKG K702 cable (I build Gaming cables for the K702). I also have used the same cable on my old AKG K240 and it was better than stock (but that one used a Canare L-4E6S). Try a different cable with your connectors and see if it doesn't get better.

You know what else it might be... it sounds like you have the wires mixed on the Mini-XLR. The pinout should be. Pin 1 is Ground, Pin 2 is Right, and Pin 3 is Left. If you use a Fader and fade from left to right... you should hear that distinctly without audio bleeding into the other channels. If it does, you have the ground mixed up. This happened to me plenty of times and it ended up sounding congested and not natural at all. I've even had it where it sound ok when fader was in center position, but once I moved either left or right... it started to get weird. Just double check your wiring. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back