DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 15, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #5,551 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a link to the pinouts for a USB connector: USB pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

Pinouts for the Ipod connector: Apple iPod and iPhone (2g, 3g) Dock Interfaces pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

I don't think it will work, though. I wouldn't imagine the Ipod being setup to send it's audio data via the usb cable in a manner that the uDac can read as its normal uses are for syncing and charging. Otherwise, we probably would have seen many implementations of ipod docks going into portable USB dacs.

Thanks for the info! I've actually dropped that project and 'am currently working on what I call the "Dark Knight" project. It's a complete disassemble, paint, and modification of an Audio-Technica AD700 Headphones into Gaming Headset with removable Mic and Headphone Cord.

...but I'm sure I'll be getting the parts to build a LOD soon, so those links are much appreciated!

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #5,552 of 16,309
Now I have a cable which matches in with the others, is exactly the right length and is very flexible.......

4526009078_3cd2d144fa_b.jpg

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #5,553 of 16,309
Hey all

This is my second cable ever made, I'm quite proud of it. I'm very proud of my y/split actually as lots of people have trouble with it and mine came out beautifully (to me
tongue.gif
). Maybe I got lucky.

The same material as last time: neutrik phono and female 3.5 plugs with pure silver solid core wire. The braid is nice, allthough the downside is that it's pretty translucent. Next one will be made with the same braid of my prevous project and will be a LOD-RCA phono.

Plz do let me know your judgement: I made some errors as well, I forgot to braid the wire :S that was a pretty stupid mistake but I can live with it. Question: should I heatshrink the Phono plugs as well?

1013675.jpg

Yes! I should be studying indeed.

1013685.jpg

Yet again the pictures were taken with a camera that dislikes focussing.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #5,554 of 16,309
Apr 17, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #5,555 of 16,309
Here is my second cable using Rean phonos and Proel cable. I have left the cable joined, just splitting it at the ends. It would pull apart easily. I now realise I should have done something like Lama16 where your cable splits. How do you do that, what product is used?

4527513881_609595b4e4_b.jpg

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #5,556 of 16,309
I just used different sizes of dual wall heat shrink. It's pretty nice as long as you don't forget to put it on before you solder anything, in my case the challenge was indeed to think ahead.

I used a little piece to mark ending of the braid, then I cut the braid from there. I put over the 2 smaller tubes (that go up to the RCA jacks), shrunk those and finally I put over a large (I think 12mm) on the y-split to finish it off.

Use that dual wall stuff with caution though, ones it's up you won't get it off. especially the larger tubes: alot of glue oozes out but if your quick and can take the heat, you can easily cut it off before it gets hard.

The dual wall stuff gets pretty hard, so you don't have to be bending it alot, but I like the stiffness at the RCA jacks more imo, especially if they aren't long.

The rca jacks are identical: anyone has a tip on how to aesthetically mark the right channel?

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #5,557 of 16,309
Thanks for that Llama16, so too late now! You did a very neat job. Rather than mark the jack, have you got any tape/heatshrink that can go around one of the wires?

I saw some lovely bullet phonos for £4 each, but they have no markings. So what I was going to do was to find different coloured cables and have the cables do the identification.

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #5,559 of 16,309
Way too crazy, good work on your projects. One question, where did you get the Mogami 1/4? I am assuming it was preinstalled on some cable, but I can't find the nice metal ones. Only black molded ones.

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #5,560 of 16,309
Quote:

Way too crazy, good work on your projects. One question, where did you get the Mogami 1/4? I am assuming it was preinstalled on some cable, but I can't find the nice metal ones. Only black molded ones.

Did you mean the Neutrik? Thanks for the compliments! My favorite is still the "Dark Knight" AD700s I just finished up. I'm so pleased with the replaceable Headphone cables, that I think I'm going to make all of my headphones with swappable cables.

Apr 17, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #5,561 of 16,309
I misread an early post of yours. Looks like the 1/4" I was interested in was the stock AD700 1/4.

And I agree swappable cables on headphones are great.

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #5,562 of 16,309
Quote:

I misread an early post of yours. Looks like the 1/4" I was interested in was the stock AD700 1/4.

And I agree swappable cables on headphones are great.

Ah, It is a VERY nice looking 1/4" adapter. That cable is actually the stock AD700 cable, which is crazy long. When I added the Neutrik Stereo plug at the other end... it turned into a long patch cord as well... Double Duty!

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #5,565 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
img8386f.jpg

and some rca's i made with vampire 20ga and copper shield ^_^

Those look purdy, like they should be draped on a X-mas tree or something. How many cables do you have?

Does anyone have a source for decent (inexpensive) 4 Pole 3.5mm connectors (both female and male)? I found a few, but they are kinda expensive ($5-6 each), and come with plastic bodies (look like they came from RatShack).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back