DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 18, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #2,057 of 16,306
I actually got most of my silver from vt4c. it's uninsulated so you have to do that yourself, but you save some $ and it sounds very good.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #2,058 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep, and they sound better then the large gage ofc copper I was previously using. Larger soundstage and better lows, which is important when you have bookshelf speakers!
biggrin.gif

I'm planning on making the samething
smily_headphones1.gif
. I am using locking banana plugs on all ends though. Probably goign to looking for a soldering type since i always experience oxidation on bare copper when it comes to speaker cables
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #2,059 of 16,306
First, thanks for the 2000 posts of inspiration.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is the product of that inspiration. My SR-60s, de-badged, sanded down, and single-sided. 4 conductor litz-braided 22 awg kapton/teflon SPC, red shrink, black techflex, switchcraft plug. Still a little messy, but almost there: some black vinyl dye and metal screens will take them a long way.

cans.jpg

cans1.jpg

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #2,062 of 16,306
Fresh off the chopping board, a socket recabled A700. They still need some work, but they are done, and functional... after a lot of mishaps. As it were though, the female jacks I chose apparently suck... and are very loose, so as the jacks move around, audio keeps cutting out. I am gunna get new jacks to replace them. Also... you can't tell from the pics, but one side of the cable is shorter than the other. Whoops
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'll fix that too in due time, but its not a huge issue. Parts used...

Canare Stereo 1/4
Canare Mono 3.5mm x2
Generic Suckage Female jacks
Canare Starquad
Techfelx Nylon Multifilament

a700003.jpg

a700009.jpg

Despite the mishaps, I am damn happy with how these came out. They look great (and will look better when I am totally done), and sound great. They are noticeably brighter and more detailed
smily_headphones1.gif
. I can also explicitly tell in the song I am listening to that cymbals and the tambourines sound much better. They have a deliciously clear and crisp twang to them.

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #2,063 of 16,306
They do look great dude. But aren't the Canare plugs a bit big and bulky?

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #2,064 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do look great dude. But aren't the Canare plugs a bit big and bulky?

They are bigger than I thought they would be... it was my first time using them. But, in the end, I like how they look, simply because them match. These are big cans anyways... big plugs are sort of fitting
tongue.gif
. Also, they are much easier to solder in... and I am still getting acquainted with a soldering iron, so in that respect, they are perfect for what I need.

I am still quite new at this. They are only the 2nd can I have recabled, and I have only made a couple IC's. I am still learning, and I am damn happy with how they turned out. In time, I will fix the issues, but for now, I am pleased.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #2,065 of 16,306
those cans look real sexy dude.... real sexy...

just wondering about the weight...if it were me...id get some 'normal sized' 3.5mm plugs and get them cheapo plastic housing plugs just for the barrel to help reduce the weight.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #2,066 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those cans look real sexy dude.... real sexy...

just wondering about the weight...if it were me...id get some 'normal sized' 3.5mm plugs and get them cheapo plastic housing plugs just for the barrel to help reduce the weight.
biggrin.gif

Weight is fine. Despite their size, these are actually the lightest cans I owned. Now they are a bit heavier than my MS-2, but still not as heavy as my 580's. Most of that weight comes from the cable anyways, not the connectors. Between the normal starquad and the nylon sleeving... the cable is thick, and heavy. But, I like it that way. There is something about fat cables that make them look that much more awesome IMO.

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #2,067 of 16,306
i tried to do that also last time, using F-12 stereo 3.5mm from canare. bad point is, when i trying to turn my head , it always touch my left solder.and the cable aren't given enough space to bend smoothly..
hence i modify it back to 3.5mm plugs (REAN / Neutrik OEM.)

anyway, they look superb sexy man... nice handwork.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #2,068 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by PcWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried to do that also last time, using F-12 stereo 3.5mm from canare. bad point is, when i trying to turn my head , it always touch my left solder.and the cable aren't given enough space to bend smoothly..
hence i modify it back to 3.5mm plugs (REAN / Neutrik OEM.)

anyway, they look superb sexy man... nice handwork.

Not gunna be much of an issue for me. They are my gaming cans. Since I really always focused on one point, I shouldn't be moving my head to much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back