DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 24, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #2,071 of 16,309
Anyone wanna recable my DT770's with pure silver? Should clear up the muddiness
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #2,075 of 16,309
Recently made a cable for a local Head-Fi friend. It's a 15' TRS headphone extension.

Silver Plated Copper
Neutrik 1/4" Male
Neutrik 1/4" Female
Black Nylon

Also made a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to replace the crappy ratshack one I've been using. Too bad the ratshack one already reemed the jack on my Vision. The vinyl fits perfectly in the Neutrik and also gives the cable a much more solid feel. This one'll be used with my Toshiba for portable use.

Silver Plated Copper
Vinyl Tubing
Neutrik 1/8" Male
Neutrik 1/4" Female
Black Nylon

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #2,076 of 16,309
I recabled my K81DJ with braided CAT6 wires and shrink tube. I have changed back to the old cable again, since the cable was too stiff, but I'll attach an old picture anyway.

Attachment 9268

My K271S cables.

Attachment 9265

Attachment 9266

It was a pain to get Gotham GAC-3 cables into the TA3F connectors, since the cable is a little bit to thick. But the cable is very flexible. The TRS connectors are Daikei Denshi.

This is my DIY LOD. I used a connector from RIDAX and a Gotham GAC-3 cable.

Attachment 9267

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #2,077 of 16,309
Finished a couple of cables up.

Here's my first (and probably last) Cardas 1 x 21.5 awg. Coaxial and Eichmann copper bullets. Nice little 1ft IC to replace the thin VenHaus below it
smily_headphones1.gif

Cardas

Chris VenHaus variant using a thin pure cotton rope, 24AWG 99.99% silver wrapped in double helix around it, covered with teflon tape. Short IC I had running between the AlienDAC and SOHA.

The new Cardas has more bass and somewhat less clarity, but maybe that'll change with burn-in.

Last IC I made for sale, but the buyer backed out last second so it's joining the vault. VenHaus design, using very THICK cotton rope, 2ft long. Still, it's almost as flexible
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #2,078 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last IC I made for sale, but the buyer backed out last second so it's joining the vault. VenHaus design, using very THICK cotton rope, 2ft long. Still, it's almost as flexible
smily_headphones1.gif

wow those are some monster thick cables! really like them, those WBT clones are sort of cheap though. Why didnt you get some nice LOKs or something?

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #2,079 of 16,309
Just finished this mini-mini. I wanted to try something new, so I pulled out some spc and tried out an eight wire braid. It came out okay but I need thicker awg wire to make the braid tight. At least it sounds good though! I'll try it with my silver wire once I get the braid down.

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #2,080 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow those are some monster thick cables! really like them, those WBT clones are sort of cheap though. Why didnt you get some nice LOKs or something?

Thanks, they're very flexible as well
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm don't think they're actually WBT clones, they're a non-branded gold plated non-magnetic brass connector. Most likely no worse than the "performance" LOKs (aren't they also brass and an in-house brand to HGA?)

Personally, I really like these more than most of the others I've tried, mind you there haven't been that many, but compared to the non-boutique connectors I've tried, I think these have a better feel to them and the build quality is good as well. Much better than any other cloned connectors I've seen.

Plus, these are screw-lock connectors so if at any point I really feel the need to change them, it's EASY
smily_headphones1.gif

I just recently tried some Cardas SLVR clones, and those didn't sound as good (which is why the SPC cable using them is for sale for like $20 now and I'm debating just giving it away for cost of shipping since I have no use for it). Plus, I really hated working with them so I know I'll be staying away from Cardas RCA's.

Maybe I'll try some of the Vampire or WBT 0144 connectors when I need to build a new cable, but for now, I'm liking the 2 IC's above.

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #2,082 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
skyline, you can get a tighter braid with the smaller awg wire you have. Just practice a little bit
biggrin.gif

No, I meant a tighter braid that still has the bigger flat profile. The braid I'm using is not Litz so I need to try perfect it. The next one should be better though!

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #2,085 of 16,309
Very nice looking cables Skyline. Seems like that style of braid is catching on
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back