DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 8, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #2,088 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by drkazndragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
besides canare/neutrik/switchcraft/ratshack 3.5mm miniplugs, any other nicer looking ones?

if you want a small almost minimalistic looking cable I think the neutrik plugs are the best looking. For something bulkier then the canare is the way to go.

Mar 8, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #2,090 of 16,309
Thanks for the compliments guys! I have to give credit where credit is due though, the braid is an adaptation from the 12 wire braid used on Ken's Elite Array line of cable's at ALO. His cables are so beautiful but unfortunately, they are way out of my price range so I wanted to build one for myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skyline, how did you manage to solder so many wires to the connetor and still manage to screw it shut?

It was actually really difficult to slide the barrel far back enough to solder all eight 22awg wires but the trick is that you can't braid it like that all the way down the cable, you have to leave a little at the end to fit in the barrel. After that though, I just had to squeeze the conductors together a little bit and the barrel along with the Teflon insulator slid on, but only just. It's a good thing I didn't try the ten wire braid I originally wanted to as I don't think it would have been possible to fit the wire through!

Mar 8, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #2,091 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you want a small almost minimalistic looking cable I think the neutrik plugs are the best looking. For something bulkier then the canare is the way to go.

i hate the look of the knurlings, plus they scratch other parts easily. i know you can cover them with heatshrink though. jus looking for somthing other than a straight barrel.

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #2,092 of 16,309
Here is one recabled Sony E888.
888-1.jpg

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #2,093 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qsilver2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is one recabled Sony E888.
888-1.jpg

That looks like some tiny wire, must have been fun to work with.
eek.gif
Nice job on the recable
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #2,095 of 16,309
Nice work Qsilver, I can't imagine how hard that 30awg must've been to braid!

____

Here's my latest creation;

Silver plated copper, Switchcraft minis, vinyl tubing, black nylon, and clear Techflex. I must say, I quite like this cable!

Mar 14, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #2,097 of 16,309
I really have no clue, I walked into the local Ace hardware with some wire and the connectors and just bought what fit the cable inside. The tubing can be bought from any local hardware store though, so you may just want to pop into one near you. It works very well for stress relief and of course aesthetics. It also gives the cable a much more solid feel of construction.

Mar 14, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #2,099 of 16,309
Really? I'm using 22 awg wire with the tubing, and it fits into the Neutrik and Switchcraft plugs ok. It's a little bit of a squeeze with the Neutriks, but I can still use the built in strain relief on the mini to lock the tubing and sheathing in place. Anyways, good luck with your search!

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #2,100 of 16,309
I think the best looking 3.5mm plug is the black Neutrik w. gold plated contacts, very classy and under $1.50 too.

Just finished up some more ICs. Thought my SPC ICs were too bright in my SS setup, so ordered some Cardas DIY wire and went to town. Very nice cable, it's 4mm in diameter so fits the Neutrik plugs very very nicely, no need for heatshrink. A little disappointed with the Y-joint on the mini-RCa, think my heatshrink was a little too big, but it was all I had on hand. Sounds great, made my system warmer and less fatiguing to listen to.

423160838_6c03b2a7ee_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back