Difference in sound between headphone price ranges
Sep 17, 2011 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sinphase

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, first off I'm a headphone noob and currently using the m50's unamped on my iphone and macbook with 90% of my library being mp3 with the rest as FLAC. Having said that, I'm now obsessed with hearing my music to fullest and best quality. 

What are the key differences between headphones priced at around $300 vs $600 and so on in terms of sound? 

(Other than it sounds better, obviously)

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 11
Off the top of my head: aside from sound, quality control, comfort, and amplification requirements increase the pricier things get. Of course this is just a generalization. Whether you think the sound quality is worth it is up to you.

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 11
What I've found (from research, not personal experience)  Between $200 and $600 is well everything, below $200 and there is a lot of crap to sort through, and above $600 if you don't already know exactly what your looking for then don't be looking at $600+ headphones.  Between $300 and $600 you are going to find a huge amount of phones that span that entire price range and aren't really better or worse than each other but are just different and better at doing different things.  I settled on getting Q701's ($400) because they are almost a perfect match for the sound signature that I prefer for 90% of my music, but I'm also a bit of a bass head at times so I'll be getting the sennheiser hd 25-1 ii's ($200) for those moments (and also for tracking drums)

So I guess my answer is really that the price in that range isn't really all that important, and it won't help you to decide whats better.

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 11
$100 - good headphones with varying degrees of comfort and sound. Good place to start
$300 - great place to stay if you're budgeting or not using them for a job
$600 - An area that holds great headphones, but I maybe a little skewed on the value of them. Beautiful nonetheless
$1000-1500 - lower flagship. Recommended to have a good setup.
$1500+ - toys.

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 11
Once you reach flagships range, it becomes a matter of sound signature you like. Below that is different acts of compromise. Of course, my big deal issue with headphone A is not even noticeable to others vice versa, which makes it very difficult to judge objectively.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 11
Does a $20 bill sound different from a $100 bill?

You're mostly buying status.

Forget the price. Focus on sound quality. I'll take a used HD-600 for $200 over quite a few "flagship" models that are merely audio jewelry.

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #7 of 11
Audeze LCD 2=Best quality/$ imo

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Audeze LCD 2=Best quality/$ imo

Best headphones ever? That I wouldn't argue with you on, even not having heard them.  But there's no way in Hades that the LCD2 is the best value for money.  It would have to be five TIMES better than a lot of other pretty darn good headphones.

There is a lot of serious enjoyment to be found in the $200-$300 range, and that's where I'm pretty happy to stay (though I am enjoying my Thunderpants).

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Heya,

I have $30 to $900 headphones. I listen to them all and rotate often.

Whatever sounds right for your mood and music is what works. It doesn't have to be an expensive headphone. They're all worth whatever you think they're worth. I have $300+ headphones that honestly should have been $50 headphones in my opinion. I have $30 headphones that should be $150 headphones in my opinion. It's all relative to what you hear and how you like it or not.

There are a lot of fun and good options in the lower sub-$100 range. Lots of colored sound.
There's a huge selection of great headphones in the $150~$300 range. Lots of colored sound but better constructions and refinement.
There's a smaller but very good range of headphones in the $300~$500 range. Colored sound, neutral sound, materials, further refinement.
After that, it just becomes signature preference, style, material, display, etc. Usually more neutral headphones here.

For example, I'd tell someone new to this to get a $30 Panasonic RP-HTF600 if they wanted a fun warm bassy headphone for listening to any genre without an amp or special dac or anything. I'd also say anyone looking for a high quality headphone and amp to power it that is neutral for a very nice high fidelity entry point, should not touch something like the M50, and instead, get the DT880 PRO 250ohm and a Xonar DG and upgrade source later. Or to be absolutely frank, skip all that stuff, go high end right away and then stop looking at other headphones and the internet entirely and just live your life with that pair lol. You'll spend less money if you do that!

Very best,

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #10 of 11
sinphase -
as we all are, you are tempted to explore the more expensive headphones.
and you've posed an interesting question.

but i'll lay it out for you:
unless you upgrade from that mac and iphone, you'll be sorely disappointed with more expensive headphones.

conversely, if you buy a nice dac and amp, your M50 might surprise you.
in all honesty, you're only hearing "most" of the music right now. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back