Diablo's are Surfacing!
Oct 20, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #61 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajsaxin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all,any idea whats the current price of the diablo,has any one you know placed an order after the new pics thats been posted?

[size=small]Your soul!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
[/size]

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #62 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your soul!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I fixed that for you. Ya gotta roll with the Diablo theme!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I still have my soul. It was a little ragged before I bought the Diablo, so maybe it wasn't worth taking.

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #64 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-71Panorama,
Have you ever owned any LaRocco products.

No.
Quote:

Phil's designs are superb...

True.
... Quote:

and even if he designed it 2 years ago I'll bet it's still give the current crop a run for their money and then some!

I have no doubt it will be a strong competitor for sound quality, and in a league of its own for case durability/design/aesthetic.

Still, I think its important to remind people that it was designed a while ago; for my money that is not a trivial detail. For example, if people were led to believe that this was a fresh design that was created last week by Phil, they would not be aware of the fact that Phil has more recently created the Lisa III.
Given the fact that the Lisa III is both 'newer', made by Phil, and currently available, I'd say that would be a big piece of information to miss out on.

For the record, I have no doubt the Diablo will kick sonic butt. Never did. I just think it would be beneficial for folks to know there is more than one source for Phils fine products.

(and other companies as well)

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #65 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.

True.
I have no doubt it will be a strong competitor for sound quality, and in a league of its own for case durability/design/aesthetic.

Still, I think its important to remind people that it was designed a while ago; for my money that is not a trivial detail. For example, if people were led to believe that this was a fresh design that was created last week by Phil, they would not be aware of the fact that Phil has more recently created the Lisa III.
Given the fact that the Lisa III is both 'newer', made by Phil, and currently available, I'd say that would be a big piece of information to miss out on.

For the record, I have no doubt the Diablo will kick sonic butt. Never did. I just think it would be beneficial for folks to know there is more than one source for Phils fine products.

(and other companies as well)

That sounds fine, except that the Lisa III is not currently available.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #66 of 805
I think technology has jumped over the Diablo design as good as it may be. The opamp used is not the newest being used in the Headamp Pico or Xin Reference. This will make a difference in any comparison once these new amps get out to people IMO.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #67 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think technology has jumped over the Diablo design as good as it may be. The opamp used is not the newest being used in the Headamp Pico or Xin Reference. This will make a difference in any comparison once these new amps get out to people IMO.

Which opamps are being used in which amps? I wasn't aware of the final choice for the Diablo or for the Reference.

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #68 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif

funny some high priced gear uses older opamps, I am all for using some of the newer opamps that have been designed with audio in mind but very good sounding audio has and is still being made with older opamp design

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #69 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which opamps are being used in which amps? I wasn't aware of the final choice for the Diablo or for the Reference.

AD823 in the Diablo. Not even a popular op-amp at the time it was designed. In fact, I tried it in my PR II and it was by far the worst sounding one (out of 10). Granted, I'm sure Phil built a stellar design to accomodate that chip- but in the PR II (with a circuit it probably didn't synergize with) it was kind of a dud.

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #70 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as has been reported, Larry is to receive an updated list tomorrow (I'm guessing with current addresses) of those who pre-ordered amps, and then the amps ship. Hopefully, there will be news next week.

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #71 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD823 in the Diablo. Not even a popular op-amp at the time it was designed. In fact, I tried it in my PR II and it was by far the worst sounding one (out of 10). Granted, I'm sure Phil built a stellar design to accomodate that chip- but in the PR II (with a circuit it probably didn't synergize with) it was kind of a dud.

I do remember reading a year or so ago, now that you mentioned it, that the Diablo was using the AD823. If true then, it may be true now. I'm not sure anyone has asked since that time. I'll see if I can find out.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #72 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If there's an AD823 inside, this is indeed just an amp for the eyes. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks it's one of the worst opamps. I've been critizised for critizising it.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #73 of 805
IMO the critical part is to be able to design around a particular opamp. Phil initially design the Pocket Referece II around AD8610 and then later he found that AD744 is better.

In Lisa III Phil tapped on all the potentials that the AD744 can offer, with all the tricks and tweaks he can figure out. Is AD744 new ? Definitely not. But still Phil turns out what I would say is the best sounding solid state amp in up to 150% of its price range.

Part of the magic that Xin delivers is his circuit's ability to accommodate a wide range of opamps to create different (and may I say, impresive) sounds. This is what many cannot offer at any price.

There are still people who are focusing on OP627/637 which have been around for quite a while but still considered as the flag ship of audio opamps.

So, the choice of opamp is only part of the success formula. The ability to design around it and tap its full potential is, apparently, the critical success factor for an opamp based amp.

F. Lo

Oct 20, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #74 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the critical part is to be able to design around a particular opamp. Phil initially design the Pocket Referece II around AD8610 and then later he found that AD744 is better.

In Lisa III Phil tapped on all the potentials that the AD744 can offer, with all the tricks and tweaks he can figure out. Is AD744 new ? Definitely not. But still Phil turns out what I would say is the best sounding solid state amp in up to 150% of its price range.

Part of the magic that Xin delivers is his circuit's ability to accommodate a wide range of opamps to create different (and may I say, impresive) sounds. This is what many cannot offer at any price.

There are still people who are focusing on OP627/637 which have been around for quite a while but still considered as the flag ship of audio opamps.

So, the choice of opamp is only part of the success formula. The ability to design around it and tap its full potential is, apparently, the critical success factor for an opamp based amp.

F. Lo

I really have to disagree. Opamps are the crucial part in these kind of amps. I've rolled many opamps in many amps, and I've read many reports of people doing the same. I've used it bufferd and unbufferd, in 2 and 3 ch amps. Multiloop or local feedback loop. The coloration of the opamp remains whatever you do with it. Take for instance the D1 thread. The D1 owners seem very unanimous when it comes to improvement exchanging the AD823 for whatever. How many use AD823 in their Xin's now and is it used in the newer Xin's?

AD744 has for many years been regarded as a fine and almost neutral sounding opamp, and after ppl's comp-pin-out-tweak (removing the dullness and improving detailes), it has been the opamp of choice for many audiophiles.

If Diablo is ppl's design, it's hard to believe there's an AD823 in it.

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #75 of 805
I have heard both the Pico and Reference and I think both have something very special going for them. Both of the designers are excellent and I think if they picked this new series of opamps then they made that decision based on "sound" principles.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back