Diablo's are Surfacing!
Oct 19, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #46 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoseller7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The Diablo"

I got an e-mail from Duncan of (ipodstudio) about the new LaRocco Diablo if I wanted to be put on the order list. What should I do, will they be actually available or is it a dead end street?

Your thoughts!!!!!!!

Wow - you are a patient man/woman for even suggesting such a thing to yourself. There already is a long line ahead of you and those folks have waited months (some years) and then after factoring in the returns for fixes (there will be some very small % of amps that need a repair-- that time will cause Larry a small headache) and other possible complications...

Wow is all I can say. <<It might be quicker to pick one up used 2-3 months after the first set of folks get there amps and need to put their money somewhere else.>>

Just my thoughts. BTW I owned a Larocco PR2 and it was soooo good but I waited months and needed to return it once and then Larry offered a new chassis and that took weeks. But what was cool was the SQ and that Larry explained audio to me (over the phone) and that he offered a new chassis to me for the long wait.

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #47 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoseller7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The Diablo"

I got an e-mail from Duncan of (ipodstudio) about the new LaRocco Diablo if I wanted to be put on the order list. What should I do, will they be actually available or is it a dead end street?

Your thoughts!!!!!!!

I would wait until after those who have been promised amps actually receive them. Right now we have only pictures, no actual shipping date, no reports on sq, and no reports on any problems that may come to light after the original 50 have been received. Even if all turns out as well as expected (finally), I would still proceed with caution. Supposedly, 50 more amps will be available, but Larry still owes buyers PRIIs, so he's got some catch up work to do as far as I'm concerned. Now that the amps are reportedly ready, how he handles the shipping (fast or slow) and potential problems that may arise, will be a good indicator of whether or not I'd trust him to purchase something new. I'd give it at least a few weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really have to have a Diablo, I would recommend waiting and getting it used here on Headfi. Much safer, imo. You would be purchasing an actual amp that has already been shipped.
I doubt this sounds significantly better than newer designs offered by competitors such as Ray Sammuels, Headamp, etc.

Keep in mind, that even though this is new in the sense that it is (supposedly) just hitting the market, the design was conceived several years ago. Virtually every competitor has at least one product that was conceived after the Diablo. I know "new" does not automatically make it better, but it is something to consider nonetheless.

I would bet that reviews in the coming months will favor the Headamp Pico over the Diablo.

Most people paid $500+ dollars and have been waiting from a year to two years for their amps. I don't think anyone will be selling their Diablos over funds. If we needed the money, we would have requested refunds. If we wanted something else, we would have bought it, and sometimes we did. We also knew we were buying the LaRocco sq when we ordered the Diablo, and the design was just an added plus. We did not anticipate the wait, but were willing to stick it out for a reason. Unless there are real problems with the amp, I do not foresee many, if any, showing up in the FS forums soon.

Also, as has been mentioned, even if something was designed more than two years ago, it doesn't make it lesser in quality than a newer product. Look at the PRII. It's been out for years, and it still beats, sq-wise, most, if not all of the amps that have appeared since. How many do you see on the FS forum? Most of us ordered the Diablo because we own/owned other LaRocco amps. Phil LaRocco designs great sound. Ray and Justin are currently designing interesting products (I hope to hear both the Pico and the Predator next weekend), but no matter how good they sound, if the Diablo lives up to its promised quality, based on our experience of previous LaRocco amps, the competition won't matter. It just means more high-quality choices are available for everyone.

Oct 19, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #48 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-71Panorama,
Have you ever owned any LaRocco products. Phil's designs are superb, and even if he designed it 2 years ago I'll bet it's still give the current crop a run for their money and then some!

I concur that Phil is a real talent when it comes to solid state headphone amp design. I own the PRII (a.k.a LISA II), and the LISA III designed by Phil, and also owned the Hornet and the Raptor designed by Ray. I personally like Phil's design more, so much so that I am now saving up for his PortaCode.

The Diablo presents a combination of attributes that is rare in this market - a talented design by Phil LaRocco, and the "class of its own" case design AND metal work craftmanship. Starting from design, the Diablo takes the definition of "robustness" to a new height. As a product, there is simply no equals in the current market.

One may spit on the business practice and the vaporising promises...from the builder, but the Diablo as a piece of audio gear remains a unique creation. It is like an Rolex Explorer II - classy, dependable, and built to last. It is not the feature rich T-Touch, or G-Shock - not the same class.

And given the fancy tales behind the development and all the debates, I would believe the Diablo will find its place in the history book of headphone listening - and may even evolves to become a collector item. At least I do not foresee selling mine.

F. Lo

Oct 19, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #49 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is like an IWC Mark XII Automatic - classy, dependable, and built to last.

Ouch, if memory serves me correct, the Mark XII's modified Jaeger-LeCoultre movement was too fragile and caused much trouble, one reason the Mark XII was only for 2 or 3 years in production.

Oct 19, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #50 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch, if memory serves me correct, the Mark XII's modified Jaeger-LeCoultre movement was too fragile and caused much trouble, one reason the Mark XII was only for 2 or 3 years in production.

This is probably not correct. the Mark XII is still available today, and is still my favorite automatic watch and have worked flawlessly in the past 11 years. (Mine is a special edition issued to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Cathy Pacific Airways - only 1,000 pieces issued worldwide).

Sorry for being OT.

F. Lo

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #51 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mon ami, please accept my apologies on the gentleman thang
frown.gif
I also appreciate your heads up about Larry and his business skills or lack there of!)

It's really a shame as the LaRocca products look top notch and by reviews also sound very good. Good marketing and financial backing can turn that all around though:wink: I believe I mentioned in another thread recently that respect is earned and not rewarded.

I too think the Diablo is gorgeous and might just change the whole design concept and look but if you can't semi mass produce at least for this community your dead in the water:frowning2:

Like many things only time is going to tell.

Oh dear, "mon ami" still refers to a gentleman. "Mon amie" on the other hand...
Ah well, sorry about the french grammar thang.

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #52 of 805
Sorry for being OT, again.

@fkclo

Then you are very lucky with your nevertheless beautiful watch, congrats. The Mark XII has been launched in 1993 and was in production til early 1999 (so quite a bit longer than 3 years :wink:) In 1999, IWC launched the Mark XV (IWC modified ETA 2892). I believe, there were later a few Mark XII's with ETA 2892. If so, they are quite rare. The original JLC 889 based movement though was indeed pretty fragile and is wellknown to lose accuracy and eventually stops overnight because of lack of wind due to IWC's oil management and design of the springbarrel. I bought a new regular Mark XII in 1995, which I sold in 1998. I had to send my watch three times to IWC Schaffhausen during that time, and eventually sold it right after the last revision, with regrets though.

Back to topic, IMO the Mark XII is not the best example in the context you mentioned it.

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #54 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the delay was partly due to development issues? So the fact that it was 'designed' 2 years ago doesn't mean much...

It wasn't development, it was getting them manufactured. He tried to outsource them but ended up having to buy the machining equipment and doing it himself.

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #55 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Back to topic, IMO the Mark XII is not the best example in the context you mentioned it.

OK, then I would use my Rolex Explorer II to replace the IWC Mark XII as an analogy to the Diablo. Indeed, I think this is a better example as the Explorer is really tough and accurate and live up to my daily abuses
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Oct 20, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #56 of 805
So.... has anyone received a Diablo since this thread started?

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #60 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So.... has anyone received a Diablo since this thread started?

As far as has been reported, Larry is to receive an updated list tomorrow (I'm guessing with current addresses) of those who pre-ordered amps, and then the amps ship. Hopefully, there will be news next week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajsaxin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all,any idea whats the current price of the diablo,has any one you know placed an order after the new pics thats been posted?

I strongly suggest no one order one until the ones that were purchased one to two plus years ago have been sent to everyone who bought one and are favorably received. Pretty pictures don't equal amps at any cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back