Diablo's are Surfacing!
Oct 20, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #76 of 805
Who cares what opamp they use....is it sounds good, that's all that matters.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #78 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who cares what opamp they use....is it sounds good, that's all that matters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD823s sound pretty sweet imo, just need buffers behind them

Interesting, but d-cee's post shows the wisdom of oicdn's post! There will NOEVER be universal consensus on how a given op-amp sounds, and HOW the op-amp is used makes a huge difference. So forget about the op-amp. Judge the amp on it's own terms.

If the Diablo used the hottest FOTM op-amp, we would still judge it's overall sound, not just declare it a winner due to op-amp choice, right? So shouldn't the reverse be true?

I can't believe I am defending this product which has tortured me so, but I hate having any amp dismissed just due to the op-amp choice. I think Ray Samuels is smart not to let people know. He chooses an op-amp he things sounds good, and that's that.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #79 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Ray Samuels is smart not to let people know. He chooses an op-amp he things sounds good, and that's that.

I agree.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #80 of 805
Quote:

Interesting, but d-cee's post shows the wisdom of oicdn's post! There will NOEVER be universal consensus on how a given op-amp sounds, and HOW the op-amp is used makes a huge difference. So forget about the op-amp. Judge the amp on it's own terms.

If the Diablo used the hottest FOTM op-amp, we would still judge it's overall sound, not just declare it a winner due to op-amp choice, right? So shouldn't the reverse be true?

I can't believe I am defending this product which has tortured me so, but I hate having any amp dismissed just due to the op-amp choice. I think Ray Samuels is smart not to let people know. He chooses an op-amp he things sounds good, and that's that.

Ahhh yes....the voice of reason. Speculation is a funny thing indeed. I agree...many have their opinions, but until this amp hits the streets and is tested...none of us can truly know how it will perform.

Next week perhaps????
basshead.gif

RIDE

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #81 of 805
Quote:

yeah i agree, it's all about implementation

as i said in another thread where someone wanted to compare soundcards purely on its DAC chip the explanation is that they can't be compared based on one chip

sure it's a fundamental chip especially when used in an amplifier, but its power supply, board layout, circuit topology, the buffers if any as well as the quality and selection of passive component collectively can and often do over-rule the sound of an integrated circuit

i agree whole heartedly with oicdn my post was mainly in reply to a user who dismissed the AD823 completely

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #82 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do remember reading a year or so ago, now that you mentioned it, that the Diablo was using the AD823. If true then, it may be true now. I'm not sure anyone has asked since that time. I'll see if I can find out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Diablo is ppl's design, it's hard to believe there's an AD823 in it.

http://ipastudio.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=284
quoted by Full Monty,aka Duncan(adminstrator of ipastudio) when the Diablo was "about" to ship last December, definitely a man in the loop. I doubt Larry could just drop another op-amp in there without Phil's circuit knowledge.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #83 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://ipastudio.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=284
quoted by Full Monty,aka Duncan(adminstrator of ipastudio) when the Diablo was "about" to ship last December, definitely a man in the loop. I doubt Larry could just drop another op-amp in there without Phil's circuit knowledge.

If that's so, the design is several years old. LISAIII is made after that to be the best portable ever. It's hard to believe Diablo being better. Why shouldn't he have implemented the magic of Diablo in LISA?

I have a deep respect for ppl, and I'm eager to see what's inside this amp.

Oct 20, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #84 of 805
Quote:

I think that's the reason his amps are so controversial. Not only because he voids out what opamp is used, but the fact that he just uses what sounds good, even if it's not audio "intended".

This is one reason I don't pay too much attention to what opamp is used in any amp, because while that opamp might sound awesome in one amp, it sounds like bunk in another...just listen...if it's a crap opamp, but sounds good, kudos to the builder for finding what works....

Oct 20, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #85 of 805
C'mon, the Lisa III isn't portable at all-it's transportable. People used to debate about the Larocco PR II's portability, and it's almost half the size of the Lisa. And the term "best" does not exist in audiophile terminology; it's completely subjective and only has meaning in individual terms.

Oct 21, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #86 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's so, the design is several years old. LISAIII is made after that to be the best portable ever. It's hard to believe Diablo being better. Why shouldn't he have implemented the magic of Diablo in LISA?

I have a deep respect for ppl, and I'm eager to see what's inside this amp.

From what I recall, Phil indicated the LISA III has 50% more parts than the Pocket Reference II, plus a third channel. I think it is not physically practical to squeeze all that into a Diablo.

The LISA III product is not that recent either. It has evolved for some time. Sure, it is more recent then the Pocket Reference II but I am not sure how it compare time-wise with the Diablo (the design of which was completed in June 2006 ?)

F. Lo

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #87 of 805
After all this stuff about opamps and other things, I beg to ask the question, has anybody besides Duncan actually received their Diablo yet???
tongue.gif

cheers
Simon

Oct 21, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #89 of 805
On the positioning and greatness of the Diablo I recall talking with Larry and he was clear-- the Diablo was positioned to be the best combination of truly portable, feature rich (panoramic, lithium battery IIRC, volume control wheel), good SQ amp. From that he said its SQ would be less than the PR2 and (expectedly less than the LisaIII). The Diablo would be best compared to the Tomahawk, Hornet, AE2, and the newcomers Pico, others.

Again Larry said it is not intended to be the best SQ in *transportable* amplification.

Hope that helps.

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #90 of 805
Just read the Voyager thread by mrarroyo and note that Graham Slee - the creator of the Solo headphone amp, is also using AD823 on his latest creation - the Voyager.

I have high respect for Graham, and his Solo is still being missed even though it was sold a few months ago. Graham is a legend in UK phono gears circle and if he find a good reason to use AD823, that is something. And if Phil choose AD823 in the Diablo, than I think this is more than coincidence
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back