Diablo's are Surfacing!
Oct 21, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #91 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just read the Voyager thread by mrarroyo and note that Graham Slee - the creator of the Solo headphone amp, is also using AD823 on his latest creation - the Voyager.

I have high respect for Graham, and his Solo is still being missed even though it was sold a few months ago. Graham is a legend in UK phono gears circle and if he find a good reason to use AD823, that is something. And if Phil choose AD823 in the Diablo, than I think this is more than coincidence
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Good observation...both are great designers. I still think that great sound is coming down in price.

Oct 22, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #93 of 805
For the people that preordered I pray you see the product delivered.

Anyone at this stage that orders or attempts to order a Diablo no matter how cool it looks or even how great it MAY sound is just condoning this type of business practices and in fact are enableing it.

I personally will have no part in it!

I love the look of the amp and have commented to that nature for the past TWO YEARS!

At this point NO MORE free passes for this company!

As a "community" if we took a position to not stand for this type of business practice and didn't support it. It could not exist!

Oct 22, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #96 of 805
Pictures are nice and all but we're so far beyond that being proof of life it's not funny. I sincerely hope that each and every person who ordered one of these amps receives it soon but put up or shut up time for LaRocco passed months ago.

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #97 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the positioning and greatness of the Diablo I recall talking with Larry and he was clear-- the Diablo was positioned to be the best combination of truly portable, feature rich (panoramic, lithium battery IIRC, volume control wheel), good SQ amp. From that he said its SQ would be less than the PR2 and (expectedly less than the LisaIII). The Diablo would be best compared to the Tomahawk, Hornet, AE2, and the newcomers Pico, others.

Again Larry said it is not intended to be the best SQ in *transportable* amplification.

Hope that helps.

Maybe I'm wrong and I did not read right but I could have sworn I read that the Diablo had a superlative audio circuit in it that would totally be dedicated to SQ?
confused.gif

If it's true that it will fall in the same sound quality realm as Toma, Hornet, AE2 and the likes it would seem all you are getting and have been waiting (2 years really?) on is yet another really cool looking amp. I can usually see quality but not all the time, it's really felt and tested real world to be for sure.

As cool as the radial control knobs look on the Diablo I have not felt their action therefore it's hard to tell if they function sweetly and will hold up to rigorous daily usage. The reason I bring this up and say this is I'm reading customers have paid $500.00 plus for a Toma quality product both sound as you say and hopefully build. (I don't think we need to discuss built quality on any of the Emmeline products:))

Don't get me wrong here I hope for a minimum of Toma SQ out of the Diablo and more really as I want to justify a $200.00 jump on a Toma price. If build quality is there and it sounds remotely better than a Toma it's a no brainer deal for me as I do feel the Diablo is visually one of the most appealing portable amps I have seen in print
wink.gif

Just because it was designed over 2 years ago sure does not mean it will have obsolete sonics. When the designer says it's not going to beat his larger amps in SQ it's usually gospel!

I guess as they say the proof will be in the pudding
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #98 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I'm wrong and I did not read right but I could have sworn I read that the Diablo had a superlative audio circuit in it that would totally be dedicated to SQ?
confused.gif

If it's true that it will fall in the same sound quality realm as Toma, Hornet, AE2 and the likes it would seem all you are getting and have been waiting (2 years really?) on is yet another really cool looking amp. I can usually see quality but not all the time, it's really felt and tested real world to be for sure.

As cool as the radial control knobs look on the Diablo I have not felt their action therefore it's hard to tell if they function sweetly and will hold up to rigorous daily usage. The reason I bring this up and say this is I'm reading customers have paid $500.00 plus for a Toma quality product both sound as you say and hopefully build. (I don't think we need to discuss built quality on any of the Emmeline products:))

Don't get me wrong here I hope for a minimum of Toma SQ out of the Diablo and more really as I want to justify a $200.00 jump on a Toma price. If build quality is there and it sounds remotely better than a Toma it's a no brainer deal for me as I do feel the Diablo is visually one of the most appealing portable amps I have seen in print
wink.gif

Just because it was designed over 2 years ago sure does not mean it will have obsolete sonics. When the designer says it's not going to beat his larger amps in SQ it's usually gospel!

I guess as they say the proof will be in the pudding
smily_headphones1.gif

Phil Larocco has said the Diablo will not outdo the PR II in terms of sq. I went from the PR II to the Tomahawk, and really the Tomahawk (especially considering it's size) holds up pretty well in comparison. The Diablo does have some nice features(panorama,variable bass boost) that in all likelihood will push it a notch above the Tomahawk.

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #99 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pictures are nice and all but we're so far beyond that being proof of life it's not funny. I sincerely hope that each and every person who ordered one of these amps receives it soon but put up or shut up time for LaRocco passed months ago.

Totally agree, and I find it interesting that somehow the process of people getting their amps seems to have stopped again...

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #100 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally agree, and I find it interesting that somehow the process of people getting their amps seems to have stopped again...

The process of the shipment of the amps is that Duncan would get his first and test it out and give his blessing. Then he needed to send Larry the updated shipping list (some people have moved since ordering/which he just did yesterday, or the day before) and then Larry will ship the balance of the orders.
Granted, it's quite the process, but I do believe the amps should start popping up at the end of this week, or the beginning of next.

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #101 of 805
My money is on before X-mas for actually receiving, unless I give up before then. I would hope sooner than later, but since those pictures of only a very few were conveniently posted after Skylab and I, and a couple others put out a deadline of Oct 15 for amp, refund, or lawsuit, and since then...nothing...I'm becoming suspicious again. Why hasn't the man to whom we sent our money, and is also that only person to supposedly have a Diablo, posted a single listening impression after reportedly having them for one week? He says he has no headphones available. Okkaaaayyyyy. Go get some! He lives in London. How hard is it to find headphones? I'm not trying to be accusatory toward Duncan, who is somewhat caught in the middle, but after so many false promises, everything is tainted, and to state that he hasn't yet listened to the amp after a week due to having no headphones is ridiculous at best.

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #102 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The process of the shipment of the amps is that Duncan would get his first and test it out and give his blessing. Then he needed to send Larry the updated shipping list (some people have moved since ordering/which he just did yesterday, or the day before) and then Larry will ship the balance of the orders.
Granted, it's quite the process, but I do believe the amps should start popping up at the end of this week, or the beginning of next.

I find it mind numbingly stupid that a manufacturer can't manage their own shipping list coupled with the fact that he's taken so long to deliver a product that people have moved! I wonder if Duncan comprehends the liability that he's taken on as an agent of the vendor?
rolleyes.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #103 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phil Larocco has said the Diablo will not outdo the PR II in terms of sq. I went from the PR II to the Tomahawk, and really the Tomahawk (especially considering it's size) holds up pretty well in comparison. The Diablo does have some nice features(panorama,variable bass boost) that in all likelihood will push it a notch above the Tomahawk.

Indeed Pete7, I too hope Phil gets out all amps that are promised and paid for and then has good reviews and future runs if reviews are good because with this look I'll pay 5 bones if it tops the Toma in SQ and is built as sturdy as it appears
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #104 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My money is on before X-mas for actually receiving, unless I give up before then. I would hope sooner than later, but since those pictures of only a very few were conveniently posted after Skylab and I, and a couple others put out a deadline of Oct 15 for amp, refund, or lawsuit, and since then...nothing...I'm becoming suspicious again. Why hasn't the man to whom we sent our money, and is also that only person to supposedly have a Diablo, posted a single listening impression after reportedly having them for one week? He says he has no headphones available. Okkaaaayyyyy. Go get some! He lives in London. How hard is it to find headphones? I'm not trying to be accusatory toward Duncan, who is somewhat caught in the middle, but after so many false promises, everything is tainted, and to state that he hasn't yet listened to the amp after a week due to having no headphones is ridiculous at best.

That is ludicrous!
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #105 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed Pete7, I too hope Phil gets out all amps that are promised and paid for and then has good reviews and future runs if reviews are good because with this look I'll pay 5 bones if it tops the Toma in SQ and is built as sturdy as it appears
wink.gif

Phil only designed the amp. He is not responsible for the mess, and should not be implicated in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back