Denon Officially Announces Its New Headphones!
Jul 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #707 of 903
I'm interested in the D7100; I think it actually looks fairly decent, although quite different. The super-thick earpads look wonderfully comfortable - it's hard to imagine more comfortable headphones than the old D5000, but these look like they might have a shot. I'm disappointed that they went away from the old swivel joint, as I'm one of its very rare fans; I like the way it feels, it adjusts very easily and mine is still in perfect condition after five years of use.

I'm certainly among those hoping for a darker direction in the sound. My current top-level listening headphones are more on the bright side of balanced, so I wouldn't mind adding a pair on the dark side - so to speak.

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #708 of 903
Quote:
I'm disappointed that they went away from the old swivel joint, as I'm one of its very rare fans; I like the way it feels, it adjusts very easily and mine is still in perfect condition after five years of use.

I'm not alone! I had kept quiet about that for a long time while others bemoaned it.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #709 of 903
Fostex has released the TH900 for all of those who were to miss the old style wooden AH-Dx000

I'm doing them publicity, but this TH900 represents the legacy of the AH-D5000 and -7000, and all of Fostex' know-how with their OEM design, put together into one.

Foster still provide at least the AH-D7100's drivers, but we do not know if they manufacture the whole thing together themselves anymore.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #710 of 903
Quote:
Fostex has released the TH900 for all of those who were to miss the old style wooden AH-Dx000

I'm doing them publicity, but this TH900 represents the legacy of the AH-D5000 and -7000, and all of Fostex' know-how with their OEM design, put together into one.

Foster still provide at least the AH-D7100's drivers, but we do not know if they manufacture the whole thing together themselves anymore.

erm no. it has been stated multiple times that they have changed OEM's, and a few of us have speculated it may be Boston Acoustics because of D&M holdings. 

But I do agree with you on the TH900.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #711 of 903
anyone caught sight of the carrying pouch or flightboxes..if any.?
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #712 of 903
I really wanna see a few comparisons between the D7100 and the TH900. Hopefully before summer end.

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #713 of 903
Quote:
erm no. it has been stated multiple times that they have changed OEM's, and a few of us have speculated it may be Boston Acoustics because of D&M holdings. 

But I do agree with you on the TH900.

From Jude's album:

(Foster/Fostex' driver for the Creative Aurvana Live! 40 mm, please notice the similarities)

I don't think any one else can recreate this design from ground up and garner sound results anywhere close to what Foster has achieved through years of rigorous engineering. I think Denon's "new OEM" is responsible for the new "headphone" (headband + enclosure for the drivers), and probably anchoring the pieces together, but not manufacturing the drivers, in my opinion.

Here's AH-D7000's, 50 mm

I also think this "free-edge nano-fiber" thing is a patent of Foster, but I couldn't find it.

When you read the reviews of the early production AH-D7100 they say it sounds similar to the AH-D7000. I bet they share the same 24 ohm impedance and 1,800 mW power rating.

It's a bassy headphone already, what most of the general public craves for, so they revamped the look of the line, but kept their sound.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #714 of 903
I have a gut feeling I am going to end up keeping the AH-D600 after it is released and after comparing to the V-Moda M-100 and AH-D400.  I'm thinking the AH-D400 will be too bassy with the built-in amp on and not bassy enough with the amp off.  Plus, I think the driver will be a notch below the quality of the driver in the AH-D600 and have brighter SQ to compensate for the bass.  The M-100 has been so overhyped, I'm just not sure it can match expectations and don't know that it will have the detailed mids and extended highs of the AH-D600.  I'm thinking the AH-D600 will be an excellent entry level high-end headphone.  Since it is being described as neutral, I'm thinking Denon leveled off the high end so that it is not so bright while keeping the bass depth and punch of the D5000 and placing in a sleek, modern, portable package.  Here's hoping.......

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #716 of 903
Quote:
I have a gut feeling I am going to end up keeping the AH-D600 after it is released and after comparing to the V-Moda M-100 and AH-D400.  I'm thinking the AH-D400 will be too bassy with the built-in amp on and not bassy enough with the amp off.  Plus, I think the driver will be a notch below the quality of the driver in the AH-D600 and have brighter SQ to compensate for the bass.  The M-100 has been so overhyped, I'm just not sure it can match expectations and don't know that it will have the detailed mids and extended highs of the AH-D600.  I'm thinking the AH-D600 will be an excellent entry level high-end headphone.  Since it is being described as neutral, I'm thinking Denon leveled off the high end so that it is not so bright while keeping the bass depth and punch of the D5000 and placing in a sleek, modern, portable package.  Here's hoping.......

After all the insanity on the M-100 thread over the last few weeks I'm thinking the M-100 could sound like an old rusty foghorn and people would still be screaming how awesome they were. I don't know, I look at the AH-D600 and can't help think 150 dollar headphone with a 500 dollar tag on it only because it has the Denon logo on it. The white stitching especially grates on me and I can't help but wonder what exact materials they used on the form factor because they look so middle of the road cheap. I'm trying to be open minded but that's the gut feeling I get every time I see a picture of the new line. If they actually sounded killer looks could be overlooked but right now every time I see a pic of them all I can think is ewwwww ugly and tacky. Guttenburg seems to like what he's heard and Jude seems to have thrown out the odd hint they were pretty good sounding. Who knows maybe in a few weeks I'll be posting on this thread with my foot in my mouth.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #717 of 903
These Denons (and M100) are taking way too long to get released, this waiting is killing me! I've never been so curious of how some headphones sounds like. I won't personally bite on either though until there's very established reviews and measurements. And I seriously hope the outer material on these new Denons aren't the same hybrid "alu/plastic" material or whatever as on Denon D1100 cuz I've seen several ppl have cracking issues with those.... I doubt Denon is that stupid though. I can't help but think it looks at least a little alike though. http://www.head-fi.org/t/539778/review-denon-ah-d1100/30#post_8295386

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #718 of 903
Quote:
Honestly it's all speculation at this point. No one outside of the companies themselves and those working closely with them knows who the new OEM is, who manufactured the drivers, and so on and so forth.

this.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #720 of 903
Denon does not even mention the new line on the US website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back