Denon Officially Announces Its New Headphones!
Jul 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #691 of 903
Quote:
Wow, could they possibly have made those look more like Beats without getting sued?

Have you seen the new Pioneers or Fanny Wangs?

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #693 of 903
Quote:
Have you seen the new Pioneers or Fanny Wangs?

I know, but these come in the exact same colors, come with the same flat red cable if you look on their site, and use almost exactly the same folding mechanism, down to the materials.

On another note, do you think we'll finally be seeing some factory specs for Beats now that they're not a Monster brand?

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #694 of 903
I seriously do not understand the appeal of beats... To me they look like tacky childrens toys.... LCD 3, HD800, D7000... These are proper headphones for adults not plasticy toys for teenagers.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #695 of 903
Quote:

There needs to be a filter that makes it impossible to post that word on a forum.  Beats appeal to mass markets because they have a sound that appeal to a lot of people and they look good to non-audiophiles.  Sure, they're overpriced and to audiophiles look like cheap plastic, but they're more readily available and have better marketing than headphones that cost less and perform better.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #696 of 903
Quote:
There needs to be a filter that makes it impossible to post that word on a forum.  Beats appeal to mass markets because they have a sound that appeal to a lot of people and they look good to non-audiophiles.  Sure, they're overpriced and to audiophiles look like cheap plastic, but they're more readily available and have better marketing than headphones that cost less and perform better.

Yeah--image and cool factor over quality and value.  It's an old story.

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #698 of 903
Quote:

There needs to be a filter on this forum that prevents the use of this word.  "beats, what are beats?  I ate some roasted beets for dinner last night is that what you mean?"  Nobody here should be defending or even acknowledging such patently awful, overpriced symbols of stupidity.

What's worse is that the products have infected our collective consciousness to the point where we are comparing these high fidelity, well designed headphones from Denon to god awful b*****.  There I sensored myself, these sentences reads much better now!

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #699 of 903
Mmm yes it just annoys me how people fall for it so easily... For example I was watching a program on usain bolt last night and he had to do a photo shoot where he just put some beats on for 1 minute posed to the camera then took them off again. Then loads of people will be like "whoa usain bolt wears beats I want some of dem" it is quite scary how easily people are conned into buying that *****. Anyway I will not rant any more about this it just annoys me thats all. Back onto topic now sorry for derailing the thread there.

"symbols of stupidity" haha I like that it sums them up perfectly

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #700 of 903
Of course I just realised the shameful irony in my post - I am assuming the Denon headphones are good based on the opinion of someone else as well as the reputation of the brand I have collected based on previous products.  Shame on me.

I guess one good thing about the out there styling is that it might pull people away from such aforementioned unmentionable headphones to support a company that sells high fidelity headphones not street-cred.
redface.gif

If they can be driven from a portable with enough gain and dynamic headroom (or even from a portable amplifer etcl) these could be a good proposition for a handful of people who don't like being chained to their desktop equipment but still want high fidelity audio, I can almost imagine myself in that scenario...

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #702 of 903
I appologise for any offense I have caused. Last time I came on this forum about 6 months ago it was acceptable to moan about beats but clearly this is no longer the "done thing" so I will avoid voicing my opinions on this matter in the future.

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #703 of 903
It's just a materials mismatch.  The actual lines are good (the asymmetrical headband looks good, IMHO).  Being able to hold the product would help.  The weight, balance, and especially the feel of the materials could go a long way toward reducing the immediate visual mismatch between matte silver and (apparently) polished wood.

There are benefits of more radicalized styling as well, most notably recognizability.  The old cans look like 'Generic Fancy Headphone Icon #7'  The new style looks like something distinctive, regardless of whether you approve of the overall look.  If you think that Beats haven't played on this as much as marketing itself, you're wrong.  Say what you want about Beats, but they look more like a product from some imagined future (where everything is better) than the old Denons that look like they came out of the blander side of 1920s design.

IMHO, of course.

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #704 of 903
I suppose this depends on wether you prefer the look of classy wood and magnesium construction or mass produced plasticy toys!

However I actually quite like the 2 new Denons the 7100 and 600.... I think the designs could be a bit better (no white stitching on the d600 etc) but really they look alright IMO.... The urban raver models look horrible but the music maniac ones are really not bad, If they sound good then I will be trying the D600 out. I prefer both the old and new denons to the beats anyway but that is not saying much because beats look **** !

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #705 of 903
Quote:
I appologise for any offense I have caused. Last time I came on this forum about 6 months ago it was acceptable to moan about beats but clearly this is no longer the "done thing" so I will avoid voicing my opinions on this matter in the future.

Oh, it's totally acceptable!  Honesty with opinions is what keeps me coming back to this forum.  Feel free to voice yours. 

I too was disappointed with the updated look. But, ultimately good sound will win me over.  So, I patiently wait for some more opinions on sound.  Looks like I might have to wait a couple of months.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back