Denon Officially Announces Its New Headphones!
Jul 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #646 of 903
Can't wait for sound impressions to come... man... I need more "extra" work hours to buy these and the M-100s...

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #647 of 903
TBH I think they dont look too bad especially compared the the monstrosities which were shown a couple of months ago and also the "urban raver" model.

I think I actually prefer the look of the D610 though.

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #648 of 903
When you look at the 7100 next to the 7000, it's much easier to see the lineage. The evolution of the design makes much more sense when the two are next to each other.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #649 of 903
Quote:

Wow...the 7100s are HUGE! O_O

Not so much, they are thicker, but smaller in "size". Instead of being a wide and circular cup, they have a slander profile cup that looks to surround almost perfectly your ear. Same height, but less width, actually (and the photo only shows the height).

*Edit:

There you go, a bit smaller on this side.

But thickness on these is still quite something.

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #650 of 903
Quote:

Not so much, they are thicker, but smaller in "size". Instead of being a wide and circular cup, they have a slander profile cup that looks to surround almost perfectly your ear. Same height, but less width, actually (and the photo only shows the height).

*Edit:

There you go, a bit smaller on this side.

But thickness on these is still quite something.

I understand all that, but I still think they look massive. I thought the D7k's were big, these things look a decent amount bigger.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #656 of 903
This is like BMW discontinuing the 3-series and replacing it with the X3.

Pepsi is discontinuing its cola and will be replacing it with coffee.

It makes no sense whatsoever.

Ever heard of complementing existing model lines instead of replacing them with products that are clearly not natural developments?

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #657 of 903
Quote:

Ever heard of complementing existing model lines instead of replacing them with products that are clearly not natural developments?

Yeah, but that's only true when the existing products are actually selling well.

Again the current D5k/7k were heavily discounted from their RRP (up to 40% discount on Amazon) before the announcement of their EOL which seemed to have slightly boosted their prices again - and this is most so in their home turf of Japan.  So by all indication they were NOT selling well in retail space when shops were heavily discounting them (thus indicating to Denon management they weren't performing too), so it makes complete sense they are canning them if you aren't looking at it from the "omg they new ones are ugly" tinted glasses angle.  

Just because there's a niche cult following doesn't make a product a financial success, companies kills iconic products which under performs all the time.  For example Apple's Newton PDA or the G3 Cube - both cult iconic products but were losing the company money so they killed them, with no clear successor in either product lines too.  Heck even the Microsoft Zune had a cult following (remember the guy who tattooed the Zune icon on his arm, yeah that guy!) and MS clearly killed that one as well because it was financially a flop. Now whether the new products from Denon will be successful or how radical their design is is completely irrelevant to the canning of the old series because I can bet that the decision had to be a financial one (they weren't selling, shipment units were probably downard spiralling etc), mixing up the two issues is just an emotional backlash against the new products.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #658 of 903
Quote:
This is like BMW discontinuing the 3-series and replacing it with the X3.

Pepsi is discontinuing its cola and will be replacing it with coffee.

It makes no sense whatsoever.

I'd argue that in the fast-paced times like these, the D7000 was quickly on its way to becoming outmoded and old-looking, especially next to flagships like the HD700/800 and the T5p/T1. Denon needed to make its own statement to define itself as a brand, and what they've chosen to do is become a brand along the lines of Phiaton, with both style and substance. The difference, obviously, is that Denon's extending that style upward to TOTL price ranges, which shouldn't be frowned upon. They're carved out their own niche in the upper echelons of the headphone market, not being traditional woodies like their competitors and peers at Audio-Technica and Fostex. Now they've formed a solid brand of vogue sound to fight the Grado classic class, the Sennheiser tech-phones, and the Beyerdnamic built-to-lasts.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #659 of 903
just put on a thick FA-003 and pretend its the latest denon..
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back