Denon D7000 Review: The King of Fun
May 14, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #31 of 120
Great review. Good to see Morbidtoaster is now doing reviews. Since I have MorbidToaster's Yulong D100 I can say that the D7000's  pair very well. I will say that my nightstand rig of a Music streamer 2+ with the Fiio E9 makes it sound slightly better. Just seems to have a bit more bass punch and just a little more "fun" sounding with more omphhh to it.

May 14, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #32 of 120

The ED 8 would give me the same problem the other Ultrasone headphones do. I want to love them, but that headband does something to me that just makes me want to never put them on.
Quote:
I think the ED.8 is probably the best we could hope for, though Im not sure about their comfort. Comfort has to be extremely awesome for me to spend that much.

Those or the T5P...

May 14, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #33 of 120
Quote:
I think the ED.8 is probably the best we could hope for, though Im not sure about their comfort. Comfort has to be extremely awesome for me to spend that much.

Those or the T5P...

I was considering the T5P till I saw the distortion numbers...

The ED8 does have its pluses, being durable and portable adds a lot to its value but for that much cash even an audition at a meet won't do.  I'm waiting for a used one on Amazon to put on my store card for purposes of long term audition and then either a return or slow and painful payments.  I heard it once and remember liking it, but I didn't take notes or listen to critically since at the time I was never planning to spend that much cash.

May 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #34 of 120
Quote:
The ED 8 would give me the same problem the other Ultrasone headphones do. I want to love them, but that headband does something to me that just makes me want to never put them on.

The ED8 has a totally different headband from the others.

May 15, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #36 of 120
All I know is that a simple headband like the Hifiman's headbands are SO good, as it evenly distributes pressure. I never understood why companies have such a problem with their headbands... I love that they are super low profile, and are the only headband I have ever used that just disappear on my head (aside from the awesomely comfy Steelseries Siberia). Even the D7000's headband irks me a little.

May 15, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #37 of 120
I liked the comfort on the HE5LE a lot when I tried them. The TMA-1 had an amazing headband because it was so plain as well, very even.

The ED 8 band has a chance with me, but even seeing the very slight padding off the band itself worries me. I'd definitely need to try them.

Quote:
All I know is that a simple headband like the Hifiman's headbands are SO good, as it evenly distributes pressure. I never understood why companies have such a problem with their headbands... I love that they are super low profile, and are the only headband I have ever used that just disappear on my head (aside from the awesomely comfy Steelseries Siberia). Even the D7000's headband irks me a little.

May 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #38 of 120
Quote:
The ED 8 band has a chance with me, but even seeing the very slight padding off the band itself worries me. I'd definitely need to try them.

It curves more to follow and rest on more of your head so it doesn't just sit on the very top and put pressure on a single point like the the rest of them do.  I don't really have any first hand experience with wearing it long term but you don't immediately notice that something's very wrong as soon as you put it on like I did with the 780 which share the same design as all the rest except for the ED8 and ED10.

You'll never know for sure without wearing it yourself but the basic design isn't flanked by large numbers of red flags the way the Pro/HFI series are.

May 15, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #39 of 120
The E9 did add quite a bit of attack to the sound. I liked it, and they did pair pretty well. Like I said in the review though, I just love the stock sound of the D7000 so much that the D100 was just perfect because I didn't feel it changed much of anything sound wise. I loved it.

EDIT: I'm also planning on a full review of the Decco2, and the HE 500. Stay tuned. :D

Quote:
Great review. Good to see Morbidtoaster is now doing reviews. Since I have MorbidToaster's Yulong D100 I can say that the D7000's  pair very well. I will say that my nightstand rig of a Music streamer 2+ with the Fiio E9 makes it sound slightly better. Just seems to have a bit more bass punch and just a little more "fun" sounding with more omphhh to it.

May 15, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #40 of 120
Nice review!

I too enjoy the stock D7000 sound and would not want to alter it in any way with J$ pads or MarkL mods. (Although I'm always disappointed that high priced cans use pleather instead of real leather with the stock pads/headband)
I amp them with either my Essence STX or a Graham Slee Solo SRGII, but for some reason I prefer it out of the STX.
confused.gif

As for the E8, for me it as comfy as the D7000. It is light as a feather and you barely notice you have it on. It doesn't work so well with glasses on though.

May 15, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #41 of 120

I am actually appreciating this sort of "rain" from brasewel. My current shortlist includes both HE-500 and AH-D7000. It´s great to get opinions on how these compare for someone like myself. I can see how it might look negative to you codeninja, but in reality his is informing other readers of this thread.

Quote:
Dude, you didn't have to rain on his parade.  Let him enjoy his moment.  It's not like there is such thing as a perfect headphone anyway.

Quote:
Nice review. You will notice how recessed the mids are in comparison to the HE-500 you're getting. 
Regarding soundstage, the D7k's soundstage is small and comparable to the LCD-2. On the other hand, the HE-500 has a much more expansive and engaging soundstage.

May 15, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #42 of 120
Thanks 
biggrin.gif
. I was only highlighting the differences between the two especially since Morbid is getting the HE-500. The two headphones have completely different sound signatures but complement each other well. 
Quote:
I am actually appreciating this sort of "rain" from brasewel. My current shortlist includes both HE-500 and AH-D7000. It´s great to get opinions on how these compare for someone like myself. I can see how it might look negative to you codeninja, but in reality his is informing other readers of this thread.

The R10 definitely beats any headphone I have heard by a HUGE margin. I haven't heard the Audio Technica ATH-L3000 or the Orpheus headphones from Sennheiser but for now they are king of the roost in my books 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
1 headphone to rule them all? R10? :D

Also, I'm hoping the HE 500 is my last purchase for a long time, headphone wise. You SHOULD look into a D7000 though...they're amazing and can be had pretty cheap (compared to MSRP) used, as I said in the review.

May 15, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #43 of 120
I own D7000 for several weeks. It is a great pair of cans in terms of balance, tone and smoothness. But I sold it because I am not very satisfied with its soundstage, which is too lateral. I prefer a kind of headphones with a more frontal soundstage. 

May 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #44 of 120
Just wondering on pairing these with some Ultrasone Pro 900s?  Too much of the same or different enough to own both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back