Denon D2000 vs Ultrasone Pro 900: A Review and Comparison
Nov 12, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #76 of 98
Ah decisions, decisions... 
Either make a more evolutionary step from a Pro900 to a D2000
OR
Go for a K/Q701, dropping the bass for 'balanced' sound and going headfirst into open cans.

Is this one of those, "only I can answer which I want" choices, or can anyone help me out here?
Right now, I'm less interested in bass, more into treble.

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #77 of 98
This is definitely a question that only you can answer, however, some of us may be able to help illuminate the possible choices for you, so that you can make a better decision.

The D2000 and the K701 are very different cans.  One has strong bass, recessed mids, and is a closed headphone while the other has very weak bass (although great extension), very prominent mids, and is open with a huge soundstage.  

I personally feel like going from the Pro 900 to the D2000 is enough of a step towards a balanced sound signature to not warrant considering the K701.  The D2000 has noticeably less bass than the Ultrasone, but has better mids, soundstage, comfort, and musicality.  It still has strong bass, but it is a very realistic bass.  I'm afraid you might find the K701 incredibly anemic.  While its soundstage is huge and its immediacy with female vocals is almost haunting, it is a very niche headphone that I find only does justice to "light" genres.  And if you like the Pro 900, I can't imagine you listening to the kind of genres that will do justice to the K701.  On the other hand, the D2000 will provide the fun you love about the Ultrasones while still providing a step towards neutrality. 

Quote:
Ah decisions, decisions... 
Either make a more evolutionary step from a Pro900 to a D2000
OR
Go for a K/Q701, dropping the bass for 'balanced' sound and going headfirst into open cans.

Is this one of those, "only I can answer which I want" choices, or can anyone help me out here?
Right now, I'm less interested in bass, more into treble.

Nov 12, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #78 of 98
Thanks for that the advice Jibbie 
k701smile.gif
This changes everything for me... again. Haha

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #80 of 98
Well, it seems these were actually not 'new' at all... Started listening to them they sound good though.
I see that there are replacement pads for these? Are they any good?
also, just put up a bass heavy song but it seems they are distorting on the lows...
It's either the source or the phones... Do you get any distortion at all??
(bass song: talib Kweli - Hostile Gospel)
(listeningat mid + volume with the archos 7 + JDSLabs Cmoy)

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #81 of 98

Quote:
Well, it seems these were actually not 'new' at all... Started listening to them they sound good though.
I see that there are replacement pads for these? Are they any good?
also, just put up a bass heavy song but it seems they are distorting on the lows...
It's either the source or the phones... Do you get any distortion at all??
(bass song: talib Kweli - Hostile Gospel)
(listeningat mid + volume with the archos 7 + JDSLabs Cmoy)

Heya,

Never had distortion on the D2000 nor D5000 with bass of any kind except when I tried a few 5~10hz tones that obviously every headphone cannot handle.

Very best,

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #82 of 98
I just listened to that song to see if I had distortion on the D5000 and found none, however the bass on that track isn't recorded very well.  I think you'll find that, once you have a good pair of revealing, high end headphones, that a lot of hip hop doesn't sound that great because some of it is recorded very poorly.  Especially the bass.  I like hip hop and have a bunch of it on my computer, but even some albums in FLAC don't sound that great.

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #83 of 98
Thanks for the quick feedback guys... Seems that the culprit might be the portable amp.... Listening the same track on my Nuforce Icon Hdp doesn't exhibit the problem. Tried other tracks such as Damien Marley's Twist Jamrock Out, Fire in your new shoes by Kaskade and some random tracks and it seems all is well. Sound great btw... And now for a more powerful portable amp I guess??

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #84 of 98
Heya,

another Pro900 to D5000 convert here. I've had the D5000's for about a day now and will be sure to post my comparisons here once I've had a little more time with them. But the one thing that I thought was weird right away was although I already prefer the sound signature of the denons, they almost sounded veiled or less clear than the 900s. But where it get's strange is when I hit the crossfeed switch on my headroom amp that was no longer an issue. In fact they gained more clarity than the 900s I think. This was very interesting to me because the crossfeed feature absolutely killed the sound of my hd650s, yet it makes the sound of my d5000. Strange but worth noting. More thoughts to come!
normal_smile%20.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #85 of 98
So... what portable amp are you guys using with the D5000s?
I know that my JDSLabs Cmoy seems to introduce distortion so I wont be using
that one...

Any input?

Thanks

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #86 of 98
I'm using iBasso D2 Boa with my D5000, it's sounded little more controlled and balanced but most of the time I use straight out of my Mac, I like the sound of D5k with or without amp.

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #87 of 98

Quote:
that one...

Any input?

Thanks

Sounds great out of my Sansa Fuze by itself when I'm using it out & about.

I put it on my Vivid V1 Tech portable amp, and it sounded pretty much the same to me. So I don't bother, since that's one more thing in my pocket that I don't have to carry.

Kinda nice having headphones that don't need a brick to power it.

Very best,

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #88 of 98
Well.... My source is an Archos and this is a French company.
Due to EU regulations, they put some kind of volume limit cap on all their electronics
(even on the iPods and things they sell over there). So either I change sources (I need a LOT of
storage) or get a new amp...

thanks

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #89 of 98
I've used the D7000s with both the ALO Continental and the HeadRoom Total BitHead. They actually sound better out of the Total BitHead, which is a much cheaper amp. I have heard before that the Denon line has better synergy with solid state, so maybe that's why. (The Continental is a tube hybrid, the Total BitHead is solid state.)

Quote:
that one...

Any input?

Thanks

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #90 of 98
Hate to tell you the following, but I think you really should know it:
1. Matrix M-Stage V2 Favors Denon over Ultrasone, no doublt
2. Your source really does not do justice to to Pro 900: as you said
Pro 900 is very unforgiving for having bad sound sources
and by source I mean both hardware and software

not everyone owns a CD Player and hook them to some fancy DAC
but as a past-user of both cans just have to point them out to you