Denon D2000 vs Ultrasone Pro 900: A Review and Comparison
Oct 5, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #47 of 98
Every once and a while I find a song that makes me miss the mid bass hump of the Pro 900s, but these are few and far between.  On most songs, the bass is so real, visceral and subwoofer-ish that it makes me smile.

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #49 of 98
For metal in particular, how are you finding the D5000's stack up compared to their little brother and the Pro900's?

Both the D2000 and D5000 perform similarly when it comes to metal, and they perform excellently. The Pro 900 is the faster headphone, without a doubt, but I found its exaggerated bass, recessed mids, and slightly metallic tonality made metal sound a little overbearing when compared to metal on the D5000. The Demons have similar bass attack for guitar and drums, but the mids are much better so guitars sound alive and full, as do vocals. Even with their slower driver, they have very good prat and the added note decay just adds to the realism

Oct 6, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #50 of 98

Quote:
Both the D2000 and D5000 perform similarly when it comes to metal, and they perform excellently. The Pro 900 is the faster headphone, without a doubt, but I found its exaggerated bass, recessed mids, and slightly metallic tonality made metal sound a little overbearing when compared to metal on the D5000. The Demons have similar bass attack for guitar and drums, but the mids are much better so guitars sound alive and full, as do vocals. Even with their slower driver, they have very good prat and the added note decay just adds to the realism

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately It's exceptionally difficult to audition high end headphones in Australia, so concise comparisons like this are very helpful.

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #52 of 98
Glad I could help!

Quote:
Thank you for your input. Unfortunately It's exceptionally difficult to audition high end headphones in Australia, so concise comparisons like this are very helpful. 

That's awesome! I'm sure you'll enjoy them.  The D2000 is an awesome headphone, one that does many genres well and always lets you have fun with your music.
Quote:
Well it looks like I just ended up purchasing the phone that Mal let you borrow. Oh man I am looking forward to them..Your Denons are mine!!

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #53 of 98
Listening to Noisia's "Split The Atom" album right now through the Denon D5000

basshead.gif

Incredible.  First time I've felt that the bass is every bit as authoritative and powerful as the Pro 900's bass.

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #54 of 98
I love the sound signature of the Denon line, and as you go up the range it just becomes more refined.

:L3000:

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #55 of 98
Naturally, the D5000 is making me want to have a very extended audition of the D7000.  I've only listened to it briefly at a meet.

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #57 of 98
Ah, I had a feeling this day would come...

Great review by the way. I love reading about these "turnaround" type experiences.
tongue.gif

I still remember when you first posted your review on the Pro 900, which is now the appreciation thread. I had the D2000 at the time, and your review pushed me for the Pro 900. I remember comparing them for days, side by side, trying to figure out which I liked better. For me, it was easy. Pro 900 of course. I felt it did everything the D2000 did, but better. The bass was it's signature move, and even against the fantastic D2000, the Pro 900 took the title. D2000 was sold, and I had a feeling the Pro 900 would stay with me for a very long time. Well, it lasted a few months, before I went hunting yet once again after re-listening to my AD700.

Fast forward awhile, when I had more experience under my belt, and my preferences had changed...

Then, everything I thought and said about the two had flopped. I now appreciated the D2000 more than the Pro 900. I felt it had a better balance between everything, as well as presenting the music in a signature I found more appealing. Not to mention, I loved the looks and the comfort of them in comparison. Now, for some reason, I found the Pro 900 nowhere near as "good" as it used to be before. D2000 was the pick now, and the Pro 900 was sent off. Unfortunately for the D2000 though, that's when I also had my slew of other full sized headphones that I liked better, and it hit the bottom of the pile quite quickly. Loved it back in the day though.

So anyway, I think it's interesting how we both experienced nearly the same thing. Except, your appreciation for the D2000 obviously is leading you up the line, while I took a completely new route. Nonetheless, I hope you find the D5000 absolutely fantastic for your needs and likings, and am glad the D2000 is treating you well. I will admit though, the Pro 900 in the FS forums was a shocker. Glad the D2000 pulled through with that one!

Now, the big question is, how long will it take before the D7000 appears on your desk, and the D5000 hits the FS forums?
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #58 of 98
Thanks for the post Katun.

I remember when you switched to the AD700, and I remember the negative backlash you received because of it.  Naturally, I was worried that, as the creator of the Pro 900 Appreciation Thread, I would receive the same treatment.  The Denons just represent what I am looking for in music better than the Pro 900, simple as that.  For pure EDM, I still think that the Ultrasones are hard to beat.

This hobby is a journey, no question, and the D5000 is the headphone for me, at least in this stage of the journey.  I would indeed love to tryout the D7000, though if it sacrifices any bass, it'll be hard to give up the D5000 for it.

Quote:
Ah, I had a feeling this day would come...

Great review by the way. I love reading about these "turnaround" type experiences.
tongue.gif

I still remember when you first posted your review on the Pro 900, which is now the appreciation thread. I had the D2000 at the time, and your review pushed me for the Pro 900. I remember comparing them for days, side by side, trying to figure out which I liked better. For me, it was easy. Pro 900 of course. I felt it did everything the D2000 did, but better. The bass was it's signature move, and even against the fantastic D2000, the Pro 900 took the title. D2000 was sold, and I had a feeling the Pro 900 would stay with me for a very long time. Well, it lasted a few months, before I went hunting yet once again after re-listening to my AD700.

Fast forward awhile, when I had more experience under my belt, and my preferences had changed...

Then, everything I thought and said about the two had flopped. I now appreciated the D2000 more than the Pro 900. I felt it had a better balance between everything, as well as presenting the music in a signature I found more appealing. Not to mention, I loved the looks and the comfort of them in comparison. Now, for some reason, I found the Pro 900 nowhere near as "good" as it used to be before. D2000 was the pick now, and the Pro 900 was sent off. Unfortunately for the D2000 though, that's when I also had my slew of other full sized headphones that I liked better, and it hit the bottom of the pile quite quickly. Loved it back in the day though.

So anyway, I think it's interesting how we both experienced nearly the same thing. Except, your appreciation for the D2000 obviously is leading you up the line, while I took a completely new route. Nonetheless, I hope you find the D5000 absolutely fantastic for your needs and likings, and am glad the D2000 is treating you well. I will admit though, the Pro 900 in the FS forums was a shocker. Glad the D2000 pulled through with that one!

Now, the big question is, how long will it take before the D7000 appears on your desk, and the D5000 hits the FS forums?
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #59 of 98
I'm interested in the D2000s, as they are almost always $100 less than Pro900s. I've gotten into some Glitch Hop, more DrumStep, and still Dubstep lately. D2000s will still do dubstep and MidTempo/Glitch stuff justice, correct?

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #60 of 98
Absolutely.  The bass goes just as deep, and can hit with great authority, it was just quieter compared to the Pro 900.  Now that I'm used to it, I never think its not enough, and if you've never heard the Pro 900, I can't imagine you thinking the Denons don't have enough bass.

Soundstage is huge, and they're tonality is awesome so all types of music sound spot on.  The bass sounds just like a subwoofer, and it can hit all of those low drops in Dubstep and Drum & Bass.

Quote:
I'm interested in the D2000s, as they are almost always $100 less than Pro900s. I've gotten into some Glitch Hop, more DrumStep, and still Dubstep lately. D2000s will still do dubstep and MidTempo/Glitch stuff justice, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back