Denon d2000 versus the d600
Sep 11, 2012 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

garage_logician

New Head-Fier
Damn, I hate the web sometimes.  I had a written this post once already and was just about to hit send.  Instead I fat finger some damn key on the keyboard and all my text is gone without warning.  Arghh!!!  So, starting over.....

I am in need of a new pair of cans.  Short version, I bought a pair of Senn HD 380 Pros and returned them after a few days.   Liked them mostly but they were lacking on the low end, and there were times that some vocals sounded downright strange/harsh.  Not a lot to listen to in my area, so far I have found the entire Grado line, the Shure SRH840's and the Beyer Dynamics DT880's.  I listened to several of the Grado's up to the RS 2's, not for me.  I did really like the Shure's, much better than the HD 380's and probably the best overall can I have listened too.  The DT 880 really had some thump and sounded pretty good overall but with the exception of the low end not quite in the same class as the Shure's.

I reviewing several threads here I think the d2000 or the d600's might be the cans for me.  I realize that they are quite a step up over the Shures and the Beyers and that is why I am posting here.  Is the improvement in SQ worth the cost?  I would love to be able to try and answer that myself but I can find no where to audition the Denon's.   If I had to go out and buy today out of the cans I have heard it would be the Shures.  But, the Denon's seem to have the sound signature that I am looking for.  Besides SQ I want something comfortable and somewhat portable.  So, big plusses for those characteristics.  

I listen to most anything but staples in my audio vault are groups like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler, U2 and SRV.   I have also been listening to Dawes and Trampled by Turtles a lot (kind of folky alternative).  Not much on gaming or on movies so mostly music, most of the time I use cans is in my office (need closed cans).  I wear them for 10 hours a day so I want a can that is fun and enjoyable to listen too.  The cans and my music are my own little resbit of salvation from the corporate din around me.  

So, with all that said.  Are either of the Denon's worth taking a chance (have to buy them unheard)?  Is the sound quality of either of the Denon's noticeably better than the Shures?  How does the low end of the Denon's compare to the 880's?  I am hoping to get an idea of what to expect and more importantly which set of cans should earn my dollars.

Thanks!
-gl

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 17
Anyone?  I must be on my way to some kind of record.  This post is my 5th-6th and so far not a single response.  LOL.   I was unaware that this was some kind of club but so be it,  I guess that I will continue my journey alone.....
-gl

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 17
Heya,

The D2000 would be an excellent step for you. It has easily one of the best in the top 3 sub-bass categories in headphones under $500~600. Denons are all about sub-bass and sparkle. You will notice that the D2000 has a wider sound stage than the SRH840, more sub-bass, and mid bass for that matter, and maybe a touch brighter treble. Comfort will be greater on the D2000 as well, as they're more luxurious with softer, thicker pillow pads and larger cups. They're quite light weight too, so easy to wear. You can get a D2000 used for $200~240 generally, in the for sale form. It's discontinued so getting a new one is going to be expensive, so I do suggest saving quite a bit and going used. Most folk take care of their Denons.

Other headphones to watch out for:

Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Brainwavz HM5
Beyer DT770
Beyer DT990
HIfiman HE-300
Hifiman HE-400

Very best,

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

OK, I have to admit I don't even know what a TL;DR line is, but once I find out I will certainly do so....  

Ok now I feel bad but, http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/tldr

Also you would love the 2K's, but the guitar sound on them isn't quite as forward as some non bass focused cans. Still they do an excellent job with rock.

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
Heya,

The D2000 would be an excellent step for you. It has easily one of the best in the top 3 sub-bass categories in headphones under $500~600. Denons are all about sub-bass and sparkle. You will notice that the D2000 has a wider sound stage than the SRH840, more sub-bass, and mid bass for that matter, and maybe a touch brighter treble. Comfort will be greater on the D2000 as well, as they're more luxurious with softer, thicker pillow pads and larger cups. They're quite light weight too, so easy to wear. You can get a D2000 used for $200~240 generally, in the for sale form. It's discontinued so getting a new one is going to be expensive, so I do suggest saving quite a bit and going used. Most folk take care of their Denons.

Other headphones to watch out for:

Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Brainwavz HM5
Beyer DT770
Beyer DT990
HIfiman HE-300
Hifiman HE-400

Very best,

Thanks for the info, the Denon 2K's are at the top of my list.  I am anxious to get a pair but I appreciate the heads up about the for sale forum.  Hopefully a pair will pop up out there in short order.  :)  In the interim I have printed out your list and will continue my quest to find someplace where I can audtion at least some of these.    Looking forward to hearing a few of these and most of all looking forward to get a pair of cans and just get back to listening.  :)
-gl

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 17
If you get D600 you will not regret they considered most bassiest Denons and they isolate very well and I use them for portable outside use during my daily commute to /from work. On some recording mid-bass sounds emphasized but I think it's recordings not headphones

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 17
Hi.

I actually have both D2000 & D600.
Bought the D2000 first, then wanted to buy another D2000 for my girlfriend, so we can watch movies togehther without waking up the kid.

But as the D2000 are discontinued, i ended up with the D600.
Both are excellent, and i think you will be pleased with both.

My d600 is fairly new, so the aren`t "played-in" yet. But it seems D600 have a tighter bass, and are a bit more comfortable.

Also an advantage with the D600, they come with two pair of chords (one for home use, long chord) and one for iphone/ipod etc (short chord). Makes it easier to travel with, and use on bus etc.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 17
Owning both the D2K and the Shure SRH840, I can pretty much verify what MalVeauX says.

The Denon's are slightly airier than the 840's, but much stronger sub bass emphasis and slightly stronger mid bass. At a guess, the Denons weight ~70% as much as the SRH840(not including cables for either) and are more comfortable. Pad softness is about the same(feels like the same type of pleather), but the Denon pads are thicker and firmer, while the Shure pads are thinner and more squishy(as a result they have a habit of sticking to my skin more in warm weather).

Since you have an office, I wouldn't be worried about sound leakage. Just be aware that at louder volumes the Denons leak a fair bit. At low to medium volume, leakage is negligible.

From what I've read, the D600 are like a portable pair of D5Ks.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 17
I ordered the D2000 from Amazon and they are supposed to be here today.  I am really anxious to try them out, I think they will be just what I want but if not I will just exchange them for the D600's.  Either way I win!  :)

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 17
If you got them for 319 new that is a decent deal and you will love them. I got some 5ks and from what I read the 2ks are pretty similar. enjoy them. Denons are sexy and I love the fit. I hate the new look they are going with in their new line, so I am glad you got their older model. 

Cheers

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
If you got them for 319 new that is a decent deal and you will love them. I got some 5ks and from what I read the 2ks are pretty similar. enjoy them. Denons are sexy and I love the fit. I hate the new look they are going with in their new line, so I am glad you got their older model. 

Cheers

I did get them for $319.00, I thought it was a good deal.  I have been listening to them for the past several hours and I just love them.  Such a nice luscious sound, they are everything that the HD 380 Pro's were not.  I was surprised at just how comfortable they are too.  Very happy, feel like I am hearing my music for the very first time again....  :)

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
Hi.

I actually have both D2000 & D600.
Bought the D2000 first, then wanted to buy another D2000 for my girlfriend, so we can watch movies togehther without waking up the kid.

But as the D2000 are discontinued, i ended up with the D600.
Both are excellent, and i think you will be pleased with both.

My d600 is fairly new, so the aren`t "played-in" yet. But it seems D600 have a tighter bass, and are a bit more comfortable.

Also an advantage with the D600, they come with two pair of chords (one for home use, long chord) and one for iphone/ipod etc (short chord). Makes it easier to travel with, and use on bus etc.

If you could only afford one, which one would it be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back