Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 21, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #3,035 of 5,248

Holy crap, they're pretty affordable too.

Here's the company that makes them:
http://www.luisandclark.com/

I saw a video once of a company that makes cellos using carbon fiber, apparently they sound very good too. Headphones with carbon fiber cups would be nice and very light too.

Because of you two, I have been watching How-To videos on making carbon fiber parts. It looks fairly simple if you have the right materials and prep properly. If I made carbon fiber cups I would want them to be deeper than the current cups. The only thing I could see being frustrating would be how to make it fit back onto the headphones and screw together without any sound leaks. Hmm.. I will be pondering this for a while. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #3,037 of 5,248

Because of you two, I have been watching How-To videos on making carbon fiber parts. It looks fairly simple if you have the right materials and prep properly. If I made carbon fiber cups I would want them to be deeper than the current cups. The only thing I could see being frustrating would be how to make it fit back onto the headphones and screw together without any sound leaks. Hmm.. I will be pondering this for a while. 

Use a machined aluminium retention ring. Glue the carbon fibre cups to the ring and screw the ring into the frame like the normal cups.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #3,038 of 5,248
I'm not so sure the TH600 is plastic...............isn't it some kind of alloy? 

And the D7000 is staying - I've got five separate head fi stations including my office one at work so I need the quality phones to supply the stations. 

I forget ur some big time buisness man

I can approve of an alloy... but no plastic :frowning2: that said... Dan give us a wooden back alpha plz

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #3,039 of 5,248
I just took off the cup for the right ear to make a mold, and while having it off I listened to some music to see if I could hear a difference between the drivers open vs. closed. While they're open the bass is so out of control. I would never say that these things love to breathe, they need that back pressure. They become so flabby it's disgusting. I can feel the open side vibrating on the side of my head because there's so much bass, and the closed side sits still. The mids and highs aren't as washed out though. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #3,040 of 5,248
I just took off the cup for the right ear to make a mold, and while having it off I listened to some music to see if I could hear a difference between the drivers open vs. closed. While they're open the bass is so out of control. I would never say that these things love to breathe, they need that back pressure. They become so flabby it's disgusting. I can feel the open side vibrating on the side of my head because there's so much bass, and the closed side sits still. The mids and highs aren't as washed out though. 

Interesting. Martin Custom did at least one open back D2000 cup mod. Wonder how it sounded. There's also a D7000 open back thread on here that's been active for quite some time.

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #3,045 of 5,248
ok, i don't know if i'm being dumb, but where the hell (city/state) are Lawton Audio and Martin Custom Audio located???

"Q: Where is Lawton Audio?
A: We are proud to be in the USA..."

yeah, that's not very helpful guys...

am i missing something? i am completely baffled that neither company lists an address or at the very least what city/state they are in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back