Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #3,008 of 5,248
  Wish I could find a set of these at a half decent price

I see them on the for sale board here almost every day...................buying used for $300 is the way to go for a D2000.  I also just saw a D5000 for $425, and that's a good price.  And..................a D7000 for $650 with alpha pads.

Plenty to choose from......................

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #3,010 of 5,248
So now that I've had ample listening time with the D2000s to make an informed comment, I'd like to say I think that they are really open and airy sounding compared to my previous closed can, the Pro 900. I know that the D2000 isn't sealed in actuality like the Pro 900, but the difference is great. The Pro 900s have equally impressive imaging and soundstaging ability, but they just lack that airy feel. The Pro 900s have noticeably more bass for sure, but the D2000's bass is more lush and blends well rather than slams your ear drums. Also, does anyone else feel that these Denons are extremely unforgiving to poor recordings? I have heard people say they smooth out the crackles and hisses, but I'm hearing more of those now than I did with the Pro 900. I wish I could take these out without having to worry like the Pro 900s though. Not a chance, these are indoor cans only. I hope someone brings Modded DX000 headphones to the Spring LA Head Fi meet so I can take a listen and see what kind of sound I am supposed to aim for in terms of my modding adventure. I can't really imagine the sound getting substantially better than the D2000 aside from just getting more refined and natural sounding. Even the TH900 I heard at the last meet sounded similar in signature but just came off as crystal clear compared to the D2000s. Am I just supposed to aim for continual refinement/clearity of the sound? Is that basically what going up the ladder of D2000 -> D5000 -> D7000 - > MD2000/5000 -> TH600 -> TH900 is supposed to get you? 

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #3,013 of 5,248
So now that I've had ample listening time with the D2000s to make an informed comment, I'd like to say I think that they are really open and airy sounding compared to my previous closed can, the Pro 900. I know that the D2000 isn't sealed in actuality like the Pro 900, but the difference is great. The Pro 900s have equally impressive imaging and soundstaging ability, but they just lack that airy feel. The Pro 900s have noticeably more bass for sure, but the D2000's bass is more lush and blends well rather than slams your ear drums. Also, does anyone else feel that these Denons are extremely unforgiving to poor recordings? I have heard people say they smooth out the crackles and hisses, but I'm hearing more of those now than I did with the Pro 900. I wish I could take these out without having to worry like the Pro 900s though. Not a chance, these are indoor cans only. I hope someone brings Modded DX000 headphones to the Spring LA Head Fi meet so I can take a listen and see what kind of sound I am supposed to aim for in terms of my modding adventure. I can't really imagine the sound getting substantially better than the D2000 aside from just getting more refined and natural sounding. Even the TH900 I heard at the last meet sounded similar in signature but just came off as crystal clear compared to the D2000s. Am I just supposed to aim for continual refinement/clearity of the sound? Is that basically what going up the ladder of D2000 -> D5000 -> D7000 - > MD2000/5000 -> TH600 -> TH900 is supposed to get you? 

My experience is there are graduated, incremental changes as you go up the chain. That said, my D2000 is very close to the D5000 I just sold, but it had no mods other than the Bolivian Rosewood cups with no Lawton mods and my D2000 has the Lawton mods on all but the cups. I don't think there is a huge improvement vs the D7000 I have, which is fully Lawton modded but it is there.

Running any of these out of my Yamaha CD player into a vintage amp, the sound is crystal clear. Low quality Pandora off an iPhone, not so much. Still good, just not great.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #3,014 of 5,248
  Where does one acquire AHD2000 in Canada? Used not acceptable.

Reality not acceptable?  You could hope to stumble on some NOS in a hidden stockroom somewhere.  Otherwise you're a year or two too late....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back