Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Apr 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2,686 of 5,248
Quote:
Hmm. Most intriguing indeed, I've heard some good things about that headphone. Better bass presentation than the Denons?

Yessir.  Only downside is, well, two things.  Clamp is tight but can be stretched out.  Pads stock suck but put some Shurt 840 or HiFiMan HE series pads on them and they are wonderful.  Get those two issues solved and they are the best bass phone I've tried.   I love all three of my top phones D2000, D600 and Q40 about equally.   And you can find them on sale for less than $100 at times.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #2,687 of 5,248
Quote:

Yessir.  Only downside is, well, two things.  Clamp is tight but can be stretched out.  Pads stock suck but put some Shurt 840 or HiFiMan HE series pads on them and they are wonderful.  Get those two issues solved and they are the best bass phone I've tried.   I love all three of my top phones D2000, D600 and Q40 about equally.   And you can find them on sale for less than $100 at times.

Hmm I think I'll have to try them out, as indeed I am a newly converted bass-head.

Problem was, I never thought bass could be emphasized without bleeding into the mids on a closed back headphone. But the D2000 corrected my thinking straight away.

May 1, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #2,688 of 5,248
Quote:

Hhhmm.. Interesting.. I notice that you gears similar with mine too 
Fiio E6, ZO2.3, Indeed G3, C421 which all have 'bass-booster' feature.. cool stuff! :D

May 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #2,689 of 5,248
Quote:
Have you done any of the MarkL type mods (the acoustic material install)? 

I only ask because I'd like to hear the difference between my MarkL modded pair and stockers.

You are not insane...............I almost bought another D2K two weeks ago - a guy had it for sale for $240!  Steal deal!  Missed out............

How do you like the change when you went to D5K cable and D5K cups?  Was it really noticeable or placebo? 
wink_face.gif

Never heard of the MarkL mod so I can't comment about that. Somehow I wasn't too keen to go in that direction.

I prefer the D2k sound compared to D5k. Wood made the bass loose and warmed up the mids slightly. Highs sounded more or less the same to my ears, perhaps less hot.
Imaging was not as good.

In the end I dampened the D5k cup in a way similar to how Audio Technica dampen their woodies. Sponge around the sides with the middle part of the cup left untouched.

May 3, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #2,690 of 5,248
Quote:

What differences will the Q40 offer over the D2000? you spark an interest in me now.
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #2,691 of 5,248
Came from the hfi 780s but find my d2000s an upgrade , the highs seem very pure and not spikey and shrill and the lows reach much deeper .

Would be very interested to try the d7000s but tbh im happy with these plus one reveiw says the 7000s have looser bass due to the greater internal volume of the cups seems to go against the opinion here.
I find the sflo2 (one of the very first) to be a great companion and never puts a foot wrong and pars up great with necos v2.

May 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2,692 of 5,248
Quote:
Came from the hfi 780s but find my d2000s an upgrade , the highs seem very pure and not spikey and shrill and the lows reach much deeper .

Would be very interested to try the d7000s but tbh im happy with these plus one reveiw says the 7000s have looser bass due to the greater internal volume of the cups seems to go against the opinion here.
I find the sflo2 (one of the very first) to be a great companion and never puts a foot wrong and pars up great with necos v2.

What is that cable covering?  Some kind of split loom?  Interesting. 

May 26, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #2,694 of 5,248
The downside of the D5000's in my opinion is that their sound is so charataristic it takes a long while to get used to again after listening to other headphones.
Today after I had listened to my newly bought Roland RH-300's I found Denons sound extremely bright, hard and harsh with a close miked violin baroque concerti I was playing (Albinoni's Sinfonie A Cinque by Chiara Banchini)
The funny thing is the highs cannot be equalised in this case, it is the just the way my ears interact with their sound, very differently than with other headphones, my ears need to adjust to their sound.
I remember when I first got them I hated them and wanted to send them back.
After an hour or so I am used to the sound again and the sound gets smoother and smoother to the point of being the best sounding and smoothest headphones I ever heard.

May 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #2,695 of 5,248
I sent my D5000 away to get modded at Lawton Audio and used a pair of MrSpeakers Mad Dogs for nearly 2 months.  Maybe the angled pads and tuning create a much flatter response, but there was a huge smile on my face within the first few seconds with the Denons after getting them back.  In just a single weekend of listening to the D5000, however, I felt the Mad Dogs were off a bit for the first day or 2 while lstening at work.  Most consider the Mad Dogs to be somewhat dark in character, but I don't seem to have an issue with the D5000 being overly bright when I switch between these headphones.

The D5000 is the headphone that seems to fit my tastes extremely well.  I even prefer it to the D7000 overall, although I did find several songs that sounded a bit better with the D7000.  It came down to where the D7000 shined, the D5000 was much closer in performance than the other way around.  This was a stock pair of D7000 vs my D5000 with angled pads.  

I would guess that for me, the D5000 have the sound signature that is close to perfect to my ears, but this does not appear to be the case for you.

May 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #2,696 of 5,248
When I am enjoying them, and most of the times (90%) I listen to the D5000s they are close to perfect to me, no other headphones ever gave me this sensation, but my ears need a longer time to adjust to their sound when I have listened to another pair than this is the case with other headphones.
I don't know what causes this, maybe the shape of my ears?

May 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #2,697 of 5,248
Quote:
I sent my D5000 away to get modded at Lawton Audio and used a pair of MrSpeakers Mad Dogs for nearly 2 months.  Maybe the angled pads and tuning create a much flatter response, but there was a huge smile on my face within the first few seconds with the Denons after getting them back.  In just a single weekend of listening to the D5000, however, I felt the Mad Dogs were off a bit for the first day or 2 while lstening at work.  Most consider the Mad Dogs to be somewhat dark in character, but I don't seem to have an issue with the D5000 being overly bright when I switch between these headphones.

The D5000 is the headphone that seems to fit my tastes extremely well.  I even prefer it to the D7000 overall, although I did find several songs that sounded a bit better with the D7000.  It came down to where the D7000 shined, the D5000 was much closer in performance than the other way around.  This was a stock pair of D7000 vs my D5000 with angled pads.  

I would guess that for me, the D5000 have the sound signature that is close to perfect to my ears, but this does not appear to be the case for you.

Hehe, I can understand your sentiments. I did try the Mad Dogs with alpha pads, and honestly I felt it was a boring, closed-in sounding headphone. I gave myself a few days to acclimate to its sound, but it really doesn't do it for me. I had pretty much given up hope of ever really enjoying a closed back headphone, till I tried the D2000 & D5000 at a local Head-Fi meet a few weeks back. I bought a D2000 the following week, and it has gotten more head time than any of my other headphones since. I love the Denon sound so much now, that I had to try the D7000. In comparing the D2000 and D7000, I can certainly understand why you would prefer the D5000 ultimately. The D7000 sounds more neutral than my D2000, but my D2000 sounds more laid back actually, which I actually really like for casual listening while on my computer. Ultimately though, the greater clarity, especially in the vocals, along with the more powerful bass punch of the D7000 has me preferring the D7000. I think I can say it is my favorite headphone thus far. However, the D2000 isn't that different, or far behind. I'm letting go of the D7000 for now, as I do want to own other headphones.

I certainly hope to try the D5000 again though. I loved it at the meet a few weeks back, and felt it was a nice step up from the D2000.

May 26, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #2,698 of 5,248
I would have to say that the D7000, and even the Mad Dogs for that matter, are more audiophile in sound signature than the D5000.  I admit that my preference is not what most people would consider the better option.  Maybe I'm just a sucker for the fun factor? 
L3000.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #2,699 of 5,248
Quote:
Hehe, I can understand your sentiments. I did try the Mad Dogs with alpha pads, and honestly I felt it was a boring, closed-in sounding headphone. I gave myself a few days to acclimate to its sound, but it really doesn't do it for me. I had pretty much given up hope of ever really enjoying a closed back headphone, till I tried the D2000 & D5000 at a local Head-Fi meet a few weeks back. I bought a D2000 the following week, and it has gotten more head time than any of my other headphones since.

Hi, if you don't mind could you please give me a comparison on the mad dogs and d2000's in regards to their treble quantity/quality? I am interested in the mad dogs, but if they have less treble than the d2k's I think ill pass on them. Thanks

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #2,700 of 5,248
Quote:
Hi, if you don't mind could you please give me a comparison on the mad dogs and d2000's in regards to their treble quantity/quality? I am interested in the mad dogs, but if they have less treble than the d2k's I think ill pass on them. Thanks

The Mad Dogs definitely had less treble. It's a dark headphone. I can't say for sure on treble quality, but I remember the Mad Dogs sounding a bit congested, so I'm inclined to give the D2000 the nod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back