Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Apr 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #2,641 of 5,248
I imagine they would fit as people have used Denon pads on their Hifiman headphones.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they would fit, as you say people have tried the other way around. I'm more interested in whether anyone has tried and what effect it had on the sound.

I've never really got on with the stock pads and would much prefer velour pads, but suspect it might negatively affect the sound

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #2,642 of 5,248
I swapped my Hifiman velour pads (on my HF-4) for the Beyerdynamic velour pads - much more comfortable. Something else to think about.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they would fit, as you say people have tried the other way around. I'm more interested in whether anyone has tried and what effect it had on the sound.

I've never really got on with the stock pads and would much prefer velour pads, but suspect it might negatively affect the sound

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #2,643 of 5,248
I swear read a thread on here where I'd seen someone do it and didn't like the sound change.  Wish I could find that post for reference but I can't seem to locate it.

EDIT:  Found it, it's a series of posts starting around http://www.head-fi.org/t/350721/denon-d2000-d5000-md2000-md5000-appreciation-thread/2220#post_8571693 there

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #2,644 of 5,248
Apr 6, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #2,646 of 5,248
Interesting! I did a search and found a thread where others had put beyer DT880/990 pads on their denons, with apparently decent results.

Think I'll try this with my own 880 pads ... Thanks :)

I have my D2000 on the way as well as some Beyer GEL pads.......wonder how they would fit and sound.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #2,647 of 5,248
Hmmm so I tried putting my DT880 velour pads on my D2Ks, but couldn't get them to fit over the white plastic rings :frowning2:

The Beyer pads are virtually new so I didn't want to force it and risk tearing them. Does anyone know if there's a trick to getting them to fit?

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2,648 of 5,248
In case anyone is interested I bought some hifiman velour pads to try on my D2Ks

So far, I've been pleasantly surprised ... Physically, they fit the denons perfectly, and look pretty good - they certainly don't look out of place.

Comfort, for me at least, is much improved. They distribute the pressure much more evenly, whereas the stock pads put a lot of pressure directly in front of each ear. The padding is quite firm, but that should improve over time and they still feel softer than stock, due to the better pressure distribution. I also hugely favour velour over pleather, so I'm happy :)

Sound ... So far, so good I think ... I was worried the bass would vanish, but it seems to have been more or less unscathed. Bass impact may have been a tiny bit reduced, it's hard to tell. I tried doing comparisons with the stock pads but the time it takes to swap the pads renders the exercise more or less pointless. The best I could manage was having one stock and one velour pad and messing with the balance control! I didn't hear a significant difference, I have to say. I don't think I possess Golden Ears though, so make of that what you will ...

We'll see, but so far I think I'm going to stick with them ....

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #2,649 of 5,248
Well, so far so great. Just got the pair I bought here, and found these have the angle pads so I guess I won't be pad rolling. Love them so far, very comfortable. A bit heavy but these are not for portable use in my plans.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #2,650 of 5,248
Ok, have had them for four days now and cannot believe how good these sound. Maybe it's the MarkL mods or whatever, these are flat out amazing. People talk about the bass......yep, it is fabulous, but the mids and highs are crisp, clean and perfect. Soooo glad I found a pair.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2,651 of 5,248
My D5000 with MarkL mods, angled pads, and 8' recable sound wonderful to me.  I have a pair of Mr. Speaker Mad Dogs with Alpha pads to compare with my Denon's.  The mids are fantastic with the Mad Dogs, but the Denon's with the mods are very close, and I much prefer the increased bass and treble with the D5000.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #2,652 of 5,248
Quote:
Ok, have had them for four days now and cannot believe how good these sound. Maybe it's the MarkL mods or whatever, these are flat out amazing. People talk about the bass......yep, it is fabulous, but the mids and highs are crisp, clean and perfect. Soooo glad I found a pair

Good that you enjoy them.  I'm glad I still have mine as I still find them non replaceable up to date, just can't find that sort of sound signature with the bass to boot.  So fun to listen to! "Sub bass" boom boom =
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2,653 of 5,248
Quote:
My D5000 with MarkL mods, angled pads, and 8' recable sound wonderful to me.  I have a pair of Mr. Speaker Mad Dogs with Alpha pads to compare with my Denon's.  The mids are fantastic with the Mad Dogs, but the Denon's with the mods are very close, and I much prefer the increased bass and treble with the D5000.

Well said.  I had the Mad Dogs for a couple days and could not get over the lack of bass.  Mids were wonderful, no doubt, but I feel the D2000 give me exactly what I want. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2,654 of 5,248
I have some Denon AH-D2000 headphones and I really love the sound of them. The only thing I do not like is the loooooooooong cable. I have heard it can be modded, I would love a way shorter cable.

Where can I have this done or purchase a shorter cable?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2,655 of 5,248
Quote:
I have some Denon AH-D2000 headphones and I really love the sound of them. The only thing I do not like is the loooooooooong cable. I have heard it can be modded, I would love a way shorter cable.

Where can I have this done or purchase a shorter cable?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Any audio store that do repairs they just cut the cable to your desired lenght personnaly i had the jack on my d-5000 replaced with a better one Furutech. and total cost was about $60.00 just for intallation, jack was $20.00.Total $80.00 thats in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back