I entered the "headphone game" with a pair of d2ks and...damn I really wish I got a pair of d5ks before they made them look like ****, who "oks" the production of such ugly headphones? I am officially not a Denon supporter anymore
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandDenontagged by System, 5/24/10
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/10
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/12/10
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for new bass headphones Last post on 7/30/12 at 9:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed headphones? Last post on 5/29/12 at 10:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cost VS. SQ Improvement Last post on 9/18/11 at 12:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hello! I am having a hard time choosing between Denon 5k and 7k. Last post on 8/26/10 at 6:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon owners respond Last post on 8/26/10 at 10:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread! - Page 149post #2221 of 40367/19/12 at 3:12pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2222 of 40367/19/12 at 8:52pmpost #2223 of 40367/23/12 at 2:13pm
Great news. I fixed my Denon D2000 headphones. And now, and now, (and now - distant), I can truly appreciate them (and contribute meaningfully to this thread!!). =).
I am so happy.
I'm including an image of the drill bit / screw bit I used to reattach the small screw - which I found luckily on the floor when it fell out, along with the washer. It was a Number "1" drill bit for 39 Cents at my local Hardware Store in Rochester, NY affiliated with Ace Hardware called Mayer's.
I bought Loctite too in case it wiggles out again. It was kind of difficult, but I propped the headphones up so the screw opening was exposed using my legs sitting Indian style on the ground with a clean (think surgical) paper towel. The drill bit is a tad too long. But at an angle, I was able to turn the screw enough to get it tight in there, in small little turns... I noticed I did mark up the left cup ever so 'slightly' - or was starting to, so I placed a paper towel in between the cup and gimbal to finish it. The mark is hardly noticeable and is surface based - looks like a convex slightly shiny worn area.
If you can find a smaller drill / screw bit that'd be best, or cut your drill bit down with a hacksaw. Apparently the Ace Hardware guy had not heard of an offset precision screwdriver, and that would have been way more expensive than buying a 39 Cent piece.
I'm just glad I was able to get the screw on at an angle.
Here's the picture of the drill / screw bit: http://cl.ly/image/2N2M320B1U35
I'm rocking them out again. My favorite albums (in addition to Dark Side of the Moon): jj - Kills, and AraabMUZIK - Electronic Dream (Deluxe Edition - 6 extra songs).
Great dark / light / love music.
Denon, I love you!!!!
Kevin / kelvanEpost #2224 of 40367/29/12 at 6:33pmpost #2225 of 40367/29/12 at 6:46pmQuote:
Do you mean that HM5's velour pads are completely compatible to D5000/7000 without any modification?post #2226 of 40367/30/12 at 5:04am
According to this post they fit without any modification.
He used the leather pads and I am going to try the velour pads. I fully expect the velour pads to change the sound signature a bit but the comfort should be awesome. I am expecting my D5000s tomorrow and I plan on doing this pretty much right out of the box.post #2227 of 40367/30/12 at 5:38am
I'm just wondering how the Dx000 can get any more comfortable than the factory pads. They already practically disappear on my head. If anything, the headband is the weakest link as far as comfort.
But the increased SQ has me interested. I've read a lot of hyperbole regarding SQ changes from modifications on this site so it's hard to weed out the placebo from the real at times. I'm interested to read your impressions of the different pads.
post #2228 of 40367/30/12 at 9:31amQuote:Originally Posted by draven5494
According to this post they fit without any modification.
He used the leather pads and I am going to try the velour pads. I fully expect the velour pads to change the sound signature a bit but the comfort should be awesome. I am expecting my D5000s tomorrow and I plan on doing this pretty much right out of the box.
Where are you seeing the velour pads? I can only see the pleather option on mp4nation.net.post #2229 of 40367/30/12 at 10:47amQuote:
Sorry about the confusion, the velour pads I have are actually for the Fischer FA-003 but I use them on my Brainwavz HM5s. I bought the velour pads from Frogbeats after getting the HM5s.post #2230 of 40367/30/12 at 11:09am
Ah, I tried searching Frogbeats and can't find a link to the velour pads. I ended up getting the pleather replacement ones from mp4nation.net. Will likely do some mods to stuff them and tune them to my liking.
Do you have a link to the velour ones?post #2231 of 40367/30/12 at 11:27amQuote:
I emailed them directly as they really didn't officially sell them on their site. They had an extra pair that they sold to me. This was some months ago, so I don't know if they have anymore.
Frogbeats was the only place on earth (literally) that I could find them... :)post #2232 of 40368/2/12 at 6:11ampost #2233 of 40368/2/12 at 7:32pm
Well, I just tried the Velour FA-003 pads on the D5000s. It was a tight fit, but they do work! As for the sound quality, the first thing I noticed was the bass was greatly reduced. With velour pads that is usually the case. They made the D5000s sound just a bit too thin and bright. The comfort was awesome though. Like cushy pillows on my ears... :)
I also tried the leather HM5 pads. These fit the same as the velours. However, the sound with the HM5 leather pads was much closer to the D5000 signature that I like so much. The bass is back, and due to the depth of the pads I would say that the soundstage is a little wider now.
There is one thing though. I noticed that on the FA003 velours and the HM5 leather pads the fabric covering the opening is quite a bit thinner than the stock pads. So, this seems to have introduced a slight increase in sibilance on some songs. It's not bad at all, there is just a tiny hint of harshness from time to time.
All in all, I am going to stick with the HM5 leathers for now. They are comfortable and give me the bass I want.
It's amazing how much the sound changes just by swapping out the earpads!post #2234 of 40368/2/12 at 8:22pmpost #2235 of 40368/2/12 at 8:38pm
- Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 2 minutes ago
- › ES100: HIFIMAN's New Flagship Earbuds 4 minutes ago
- › Tera Player Thread - impressions, opinions, reviews , SQ. 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 9 minutes ago
- › HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560 9 minutes ago
- › Megahertz amp for Taket H2, combo with the headphone. 10 minutes ago
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 10 minutes ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 10 minutes ago
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)