I entered the "headphone game" with a pair of d2ks and...damn I really wish I got a pair of d5ks before they made them look like ****, who "oks" the production of such ugly headphones? I am officially not a Denon supporter anymore
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandDenontagged by System, 5/24/10
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/10
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/12/10
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for new bass headphones Last post on 7/30/12 at 9:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Bass Headphones Last post on 7/15/12 at 11:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed headphones? Last post on 5/29/12 at 10:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cost VS. SQ Improvement Last post on 9/18/11 at 12:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is the Ultrasone PRO 900 worth it? Last post on 8/19/11 at 5:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread! - Page 149post #2221 of 31577/19/12 at 3:12pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2222 of 31577/19/12 at 8:52pmpost #2223 of 31577/23/12 at 2:13pm
Great news. I fixed my Denon D2000 headphones. And now, and now, (and now - distant), I can truly appreciate them (and contribute meaningfully to this thread!!). =).
I am so happy.
I'm including an image of the drill bit / screw bit I used to reattach the small screw - which I found luckily on the floor when it fell out, along with the washer. It was a Number "1" drill bit for 39 Cents at my local Hardware Store in Rochester, NY affiliated with Ace Hardware called Mayer's.
I bought Loctite too in case it wiggles out again. It was kind of difficult, but I propped the headphones up so the screw opening was exposed using my legs sitting Indian style on the ground with a clean (think surgical) paper towel. The drill bit is a tad too long. But at an angle, I was able to turn the screw enough to get it tight in there, in small little turns... I noticed I did mark up the left cup ever so 'slightly' - or was starting to, so I placed a paper towel in between the cup and gimbal to finish it. The mark is hardly noticeable and is surface based - looks like a convex slightly shiny worn area.
If you can find a smaller drill / screw bit that'd be best, or cut your drill bit down with a hacksaw. Apparently the Ace Hardware guy had not heard of an offset precision screwdriver, and that would have been way more expensive than buying a 39 Cent piece.
I'm just glad I was able to get the screw on at an angle.
Here's the picture of the drill / screw bit: http://cl.ly/image/2N2M320B1U35
I'm rocking them out again. My favorite albums (in addition to Dark Side of the Moon): jj - Kills, and AraabMUZIK - Electronic Dream (Deluxe Edition - 6 extra songs).
Great dark / light / love music.
Denon, I love you!!!!
Kevin / kelvanEpost #2224 of 31577/29/12 at 6:33pmpost #2225 of 31577/29/12 at 6:46pmQuote:
Do you mean that HM5's velour pads are completely compatible to D5000/7000 without any modification?post #2226 of 31577/30/12 at 5:04am
According to this post they fit without any modification.
He used the leather pads and I am going to try the velour pads. I fully expect the velour pads to change the sound signature a bit but the comfort should be awesome. I am expecting my D5000s tomorrow and I plan on doing this pretty much right out of the box.post #2227 of 31577/30/12 at 5:38am
I'm just wondering how the Dx000 can get any more comfortable than the factory pads. They already practically disappear on my head. If anything, the headband is the weakest link as far as comfort.
But the increased SQ has me interested. I've read a lot of hyperbole regarding SQ changes from modifications on this site so it's hard to weed out the placebo from the real at times. I'm interested to read your impressions of the different pads.
post #2228 of 31577/30/12 at 9:31amQuote:Originally Posted by draven5494
According to this post they fit without any modification.
He used the leather pads and I am going to try the velour pads. I fully expect the velour pads to change the sound signature a bit but the comfort should be awesome. I am expecting my D5000s tomorrow and I plan on doing this pretty much right out of the box.
Where are you seeing the velour pads? I can only see the pleather option on mp4nation.net.post #2229 of 31577/30/12 at 10:47amQuote:
Sorry about the confusion, the velour pads I have are actually for the Fischer FA-003 but I use them on my Brainwavz HM5s. I bought the velour pads from Frogbeats after getting the HM5s.post #2230 of 31577/30/12 at 11:09am
Ah, I tried searching Frogbeats and can't find a link to the velour pads. I ended up getting the pleather replacement ones from mp4nation.net. Will likely do some mods to stuff them and tune them to my liking.
Do you have a link to the velour ones?post #2231 of 31577/30/12 at 11:27amQuote:
I emailed them directly as they really didn't officially sell them on their site. They had an extra pair that they sold to me. This was some months ago, so I don't know if they have anymore.
Frogbeats was the only place on earth (literally) that I could find them... :)post #2232 of 31578/2/12 at 6:11ampost #2233 of 31578/2/12 at 7:32pm
Well, I just tried the Velour FA-003 pads on the D5000s. It was a tight fit, but they do work! As for the sound quality, the first thing I noticed was the bass was greatly reduced. With velour pads that is usually the case. They made the D5000s sound just a bit too thin and bright. The comfort was awesome though. Like cushy pillows on my ears... :)
I also tried the leather HM5 pads. These fit the same as the velours. However, the sound with the HM5 leather pads was much closer to the D5000 signature that I like so much. The bass is back, and due to the depth of the pads I would say that the soundstage is a little wider now.
There is one thing though. I noticed that on the FA003 velours and the HM5 leather pads the fabric covering the opening is quite a bit thinner than the stock pads. So, this seems to have introduced a slight increase in sibilance on some songs. It's not bad at all, there is just a tiny hint of harshness from time to time.
All in all, I am going to stick with the HM5 leathers for now. They are comfortable and give me the bass I want.
It's amazing how much the sound changes just by swapping out the earpads!post #2234 of 31578/2/12 at 8:22pmpost #2235 of 31578/2/12 at 8:38pm
- Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 30 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 37 seconds ago
- › Behringer Truth B2030A vs M-Audio BX5 D2 ? 46 seconds ago
- › Yamamoto HA-03 headphone / speaker amplifier 1 minute ago
- › Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp 1 minute ago
- › pupDAC Step-by-Step Build Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › PSA - W3s on sale for $139.99! 2 minutes ago
- › upgrade headphones first, or go ahead and get dac/amp stack? 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe