Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 9, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #2,628 of 5,248
The stock denon pads are in the sale items and specials tab. He has up'd the price to $45. I'm really thinking about ordering a pair myself if my modified jmoney's wear out on my pro 900. These pads used to sell for $90 from denon and since they're discontinued they're only going to go up in price once mark starts running low. This is by far the best pad deal out there today. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #2,630 of 5,248
Bought some cheap superglue but the rubber wouldn't stick, it looks like the edge is just too thin for the glue to stick. Maybe I need better glue? How important are those stress relievers? I'll keep trying to glue it back on but I really can't see it sticking.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,633 of 5,248
Quote:
Bought some cheap superglue but the rubber wouldn't stick, it looks like the edge is just too thin for the glue to stick. Maybe I need better glue? How important are those stress relievers? I'll keep trying to glue it back on but I really can't see it sticking.

It's not a strain relief so much as it is a grommet to prevent the cable from chafing on the edges of the hole in the aluminum frame.  If you've never opened up a D5000, the cable slides freely through the rubber when you unmount the driver assembly.  If you are brave enough to unsolder (and then re-solder) the cable to the driver, you can probably find rubber grommets to replace your damaged ones.  But, the cable has to be separated from the driver to pull the cable out, then feed it back through the new grommet.

If you've managed to damage one of the original rubber guides/grommets, then I'd say they're pretty important to your D5000, and you should try to replace them.  Could have been the cable, instead!

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #2,634 of 5,248
Quote:
It's not a strain relief so much as it is a grommet to prevent the cable from chafing on the edges of the hole in the aluminum frame.  If you've never opened up a D5000, the cable slides freely through the rubber when you unmount the driver assembly.  If you are brave enough to unsolder (and then re-solder) the cable to the driver, you can probably find rubber grommets to replace your damaged ones.  But, the cable has to be separated from the driver to pull the cable out, then feed it back through the new grommet.

If you've managed to damage one of the original rubber guides/grommets, then I'd say they're pretty important to your D5000, and you should try to replace them.  Could have been the cable, instead!

I'm not even close to comfortable enough to open them up. I don't know what to do.

I can't see how I've damaged them. They're either on my head or on my desk - I'm very careful with them.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #2,635 of 5,248
Quote:
I'm not even close to comfortable enough to open them up. I don't know what to do.

I can't see how I've damaged them. They're either on my head or on my desk - I'm very careful with them.

Just send them to Mark then, he provides repair service for Denons.
http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page13.html

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #2,636 of 5,248
Quote:

They're super simple.

Take a look at THIS THREAD MarkL posted many moons ago on how to mod your cans.  Should eliminate some of your trepidation. 
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #2,638 of 5,248
Has anyone ever tried putting hifiman velour pads on their Denon?  It seems like they would probably fit, but I've no idea what it would do to the sound!

And if anyone has tried, does anyone know if you can put the EDT 770 NL pads (from the t70) on the D5000's?? Really loved the feel of the t70 and they seem similar in size but don't want to buy them until I know for sure.

Thanks,

:evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back