Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Feb 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2,611 of 5,248
I owned D2K and those had quite harsh treble.
Anyhow, I've been really enjoying modded D5000 with Lawton Angle pads for the last two days. I think i like them quite better than Alpha Padded Mad Dogs, they might be more colored but sounds like a lot more fun.
This is quite funny as they were on a chopping block for a while as I just couldn't stand that pumping into ears bloated bass, was just getting headache after a short while.
Modding with dynamat helped with that, bass got much more controlled and quite listenable, the only things that still sounded off to me were relative to bass recession in the mids, "busy" sound i.e. when music gets complex things start to mesh together, and treble that was missing extension at the top, hi hats and brass instruments sounded muffled. I wasn't expecting much from Angle Pads but to my surprise they evened out mids, added more air between notes and that missing zing to the treble. The bass is still hitting hard but does not bounce around and very controlled although perhaps some amount got lost, could be just reverb and bloom that are gone.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #2,612 of 5,248
Quote:
Sure, there are plenty of things graphs don't demonstrate, such as imaging/soundstage/detail/texture/etc, but in the domain of Frequency Responses, it'd be silly to dismiss them. Especially since that's what the OP was clearly talking about (i.e. "treble was too sibilant", "midrange was too recessed"). It's totally cool if you like to test headphones 'blind', but it's a fallacy to dissuade others from using graphs just because they're missing some bits (despite presenting what they do have reasonably well 
rolleyes.gif
).

Anyways, back on topic...

I agree with what you say although I am not sure that sibilance is just about frequency response.... Maybe if the headphones have a peak at about 4-10khz it will increase it but some headphones just seem to be sibilant and some are not.

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #2,613 of 5,248
Quote:

I agree with what you say although I am not sure that sibilance is just about frequency response.... Maybe if the headphones have a peak at about 4-10khz it will increase it but some headphones just seem to be sibilant and some are not.

I have to admit that I don't really get what people say about sibilance, as it is more of a recording artifact than a property of the transducer, especially if used within it's proper definition to refer to vocals. I don't really pay attention to vocals when I don't have to, but if a recording sounds sibilant, then it most likely comes from the input chain that originally captured the singer's performance (or a dubious EQ job in the mix). So it's really only reproduced/emphasized if it's already there in the first place. But of course, how emphasized that 'hissing' and 'sizzle' are in the recording is a direct quality of the frequency response of the headphones, cause those sounds do occur in that 4-10khz range you mentioned. That emphasis says nothing about the headphone's 'texture' around that frequency range however, which I listed as one of the 'un-graphable' properties (despite a possible relationship with distortion readings in this case). So the difference between a smooth treble peak and an equally boosted 'grainy' treble peak might very well give the impression of additional sibilance. Or at least, that's what I assume would be the case, since I don't usually describe headphones in terms of sibilance (just 'brightness').

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #2,614 of 5,248
Quote:
Aside from the quantity of bass, the Mad Dogs with Alphas are superior to the D5000 in my opinion.  Also, the treble on the D5000 is often described as being sparkly.  I'm not sure what that means, but the D5000 is brighter (but not sibilant to my ears) than the Mad Dogs, but with the Alpha pads, the difference does not appear to be as drastic as it once was with earlier iterations of the MD.

I would highly recommend the Mad Dogs to anyone, while I might not do the same for the D5000, depending on their music preferences.  There is no downside to the Mad Dogs, other than possibly the weight and its potential use in portable setups.  I think nearly everyone would love the sound from the Mad Dogs with Alphas.   Flat and smooth signature with no dominant/recessed frequencies.  When you add pricing into the mix, it is not even a contest between the Mad Dogs and D5000.

+1. The mad dog doesn't have the subbass quantity and mayb quality of my la-2000's but the extension is very deep. The mids and treble are flatter and less fun but are very smooth and fast. That bass only gets better with better earpads which are usually still combined with the headphones cheaper than a D5k. The mad dog actually didn't replace my la-2000 though. That was actually my own modded ultrasone pro900. The mad dog actually replaced my technics rpdj-1200 imo.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #2,616 of 5,248
I managed to pick up a pair of D2000s today. I've been looking for a closed headphone to complement my ma900s, and I'm hoping these will be the ones I end up keeping!

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #2,617 of 5,248
Hey guys so I picked up a pair of D5000 from the forums here about a month ago. Today I picked them up to give a listening to while a surf the web and all of a sudden the left ear cup came off as well as a small screw. I was kind of shocked because I knew Denon had problems with these before but never thought it would happen to me lol. 

Can anyone give me some insight of how to fix this or where I can get it fixed? Thanks.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #2,619 of 5,248
Quote:
Hey guys so I picked up a pair of D5000 from the forums here about a month ago. Today I picked them up to give a listening to while a surf the web and all of a sudden the left ear cup came off as well as a small screw. I was kind of shocked because I knew Denon had problems with these before but never thought it would happen to me lol. 

Can anyone give me some insight of how to fix this or where I can get it fixed? Thanks.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607330/how-to-repair-your-denon-d-2000-d-5000-and-d-7000-headphones-if-your-cup-has-fallen-off-the-gimbal.     You can order parts from this site it seems. PAGE 160

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #2,620 of 5,248
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/607330/how-to-repair-your-denon-d-2000-d-5000-and-d-7000-headphones-if-your-cup-has-fallen-off-the-gimbal.     You can order parts from this site it seems. PAGE 160

Your link is not working.

Try THIS ONE.

L3000.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #2,621 of 5,248
hi , i've a denon d2000 little modified with dinamat and stock cotton batting strip in the cups, and spacers on the pads(instead of the angle pads).i'm searching for   denon d5000 wood cups,but in europe i don't know where i can find them or other spares.anyone could help me?

regards

some pics about my mods... any comment is accepted
http://img195.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img195/1236/1362229112jqu.smil

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2,622 of 5,248
My D5000s are falling apart :frowning2:

The outer layer of the earpads are wearing away. Also, the little tube of rubber that is covering the cable at the base of the earcup just fell off (the one on the opposite earcup is about to fall off too). So now it's just sliding up and down the cable. Is that gonna cause any issues or are those mostly for show?

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #2,625 of 5,248
Hmmm....If you can then, you could wrap the outsides of the pads in fleece or a very soft cloth. Wont effect the sound a ton, but will hide the leather detoriation, and be very comfy. Warm in the summer though.  Ive seen it done before, cant remember where though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back