Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
May 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #2,101 of 5,248
Now that there seems like a great deal!

May 19, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #2,102 of 5,248
Quote:

It's that dip from 1Khz to 5Khz that would give the more recessed mids on the D7k versus D5k.  No question D7k is more "refined" in the bass and treble, but D5k definitely has flatter, less recessed upper mids & low treble.

That is a beautiful graph  If it evens out that 1KHz spike as much as it looks like it does, it will truly be an amazing headphone.   I have my Lawtons on order as well. 

In the angle pad thread, TotallyDubbed is going to do a comparison of the two.  He doesn't have his Angles yet either though, so you'll have to wait
wink.gif

could you please give me the url ?! cant find it :)

edit: found :wink: thx !

May 19, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #2,103 of 5,248
Quote:
which is the "sweet spot" or the bang for the buck?            is the 2000 worth 80-85% of the D5000 SQ?

The only difference between the D2k and the D5k are the wooden cups and different cable.  You can recable a D2k with the upgraded Denon cable for $40 + soldering supplies if you don't have them.  The wooden cups supposedly make less difference than switching cables but you can get the Denon wooden cups from time to time for about $80 and install them yourself. Requires a small amount of drilling on the cups.  You get more to the level of a D7k (supposedly) by upgrading the cable to a non-Denon cable such as Cardas or Jena.  Lawton Audio sells aftermarket exotic wood cups but be prepared to drop $200 on those.
So you can save about $80 by getting the D2k and modifying it.  However, when it comes down to it, you're paying $80 to have it done for you, possibly saving you from damaging your D2k by modifying it.  You also obviously void you warranty by modding, so that's a factor.  At the end of the day, having a stock D5k with a full warranty is worth more than a modified D2k even though they are the same headphone at that point.

May 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #2,104 of 5,248
Guys, any comment about the quality of D2000 vs Beyer DT770 vs AKG K550? I'm using this as a portable gig with Fiio  E11. I listen to mostly jazz, pop in 320kb mp3s. I'm really torn between the 3. I did place an order with Electronics Expo for the currently out of stock D2000 since they let you order for $200 over the phone. I still have time to decide. From lurking the forum, it seems like D2000 has the best sound, but I would love to hear others who have tested the above headphones. My only issue with the D2000 is that it has 2 cable instead of 1 cable. It just seems a little messy to me. I don't know the benefit of having 2 cables vs 1 from Denon's perspective. Thx

May 19, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #2,105 of 5,248
Quote:
Guys, any comment about the quality of D2000 vs Beyer DT770 vs AKG K550? I'm using this as a portable gig with Fiio  E11. I listen to mostly jazz, pop in 320kb mp3s. I'm really torn between the 3. I did place an order with Electronics Expo for the currently out of stock D2000 since they let you order for $200 over the phone. I still have time to decide. From lurking the forum, it seems like D2000 has the best sound, but I would love to hear others who have tested the above headphones. My only issue with the D2000 is that it has 2 cable instead of 1 cable. It just seems a little messy to me. I don't know the benefit of having 2 cables vs 1 from Denon's perspective. Thx

While I think the D2000 has the best sound of them, it is not what I would consider portable. They are delicate, they leak, they are big and clumsy, and so on. Seriously, if you want portability, then these are not the droids you are looking for.

May 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #2,106 of 5,248
Quote:
While I think the D2000 has the best sound of them, it is not what I would consider portable. They are delicate, they leak, they are big and clumsy, and so on. Seriously, if you want portability, then these are not the droids you are looking for.

When I say portable, I mean used with a mp3 player not hooked up to receiver and all. I use them to listen in coffee shops and at home. When I do real traveling, I use UE TF 10s.

May 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #2,107 of 5,248
Quote:
When I say portable, I mean used with a mp3 player not hooked up to receiver and all. I use them to listen in coffee shops and at home. When I do real traveling, I use UE TF 10s.

Well, I wouldn't lug my D2000 to coffee shops. They are great, just not for portability. On the other hand, some say they use them as their portable cans. I wouldn't suggest anyone to do so, but if that's your intention, then by all means, go ahead.

I would think the beyers and the AKGs would be more portable in that sense.

May 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #2,108 of 5,248
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't lug my D2000 to coffee shops. They are great, just not for portability. On the other hand, some say they use them as their portable cans. I wouldn't suggest anyone to do so, but if that's your intention, then by all means, go ahead.

I would think the beyers and the AKGs would be more portable in that sense.

Can you elaborate on that? They seem to be the same size.

May 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #2,109 of 5,248
Quote:
Can you elaborate on that? They seem to be the same size.

I just said why:

Quote:

The biggest problem is the isolation though. They leak a lot IMO.

May 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #2,110 of 5,248
When it comes to recabling a D2k, I know there are lots of options/opinions out there!  Is there a better deal out there for a recable than getting a stock D5/7k cable?  I can get one for $40, and quite frankly don't want to invest much more than that.  It's already terminated and wrapped which makes it an even better deal.
But that said, I'm not familiar with all of the different brands of cable out there, nor have I found that much info about how much of an improvement I'll see going from stock D2k to stock D5/7k cables vs. aftermarket custom made cables.
I feel like now is a good time to buy up OEM parts for later upgrade use, considering that Denon has nixed the current Dx000 lineup in favor of a new model.  Who knows though, maybe these new models will have an even more worthwhile cable than the stock D5/7k

May 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #2,112 of 5,248
Quote:
get a stock cable.. everything else is voodoo.. unless you are in possession of a xlr connection bounded receiver and you want to operate with your denons.. ^^

Cables are a long and complicated debate with supporters and detractors on both sides of the debate. It's best not to get into it. Suffice it to say that I've long been a cable doubter, but have recently discovered at least in some cases some reason to believe I was previously wrong.

All that aside, in the case of Denon, it's not an easy question since the cables are hard-wired.  However it's also fair enough to say that Denon/Fostex clearly believes either in the value of good cables or in the marketing power of them since their headphones, at least D5k and D7k, not sure about D2k, seem to come with the same boutique cables that you would buy elsewhere: UP-OCC litz copper in a soft nylon jacket.  You basically get a Double Helix type cable included with the headphone.  Whether it's real value or Denon/Foster understanding that their customer base wants that sort of thing can be debated separately
wink.gif

May 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #2,113 of 5,248
Quote:

Cables are a long and complicated debate with supporters and detractors on both sides of the debate. It's best not to get into it. Suffice it to say that I've long been a cable doubter, but have recently discovered at least in some cases some reason to believe I was previously wrong.

All that aside, in the case of Denon, it's not an easy question since the cables are hard-wired.  However it's also fair enough to say that Denon/Fostex clearly believes either in the value of good cables or in the marketing power of them since their headphones, at least D5k and D7k, not sure about D2k, seem to come with the same boutique cables that you would buy elsewhere: UP-OCC litz copper in a soft nylon jacket.  You basically get a Double Helix type cable included with the headphone.  Whether it's real value or Denon/Foster understanding that their customer base wants that sort of thing can be debated separately
wink.gif

If so, no need to worry with Denon!

May 25, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #2,114 of 5,248
Got the D2000 from Electronics Expo today. Though the CSR who took the order promised me a new D2000, some how I ended up getting an open box. The plastic bag holding the manual is open. There is even a plastic twisty thingy sitting there randomly in the box. Somewhat disappointed. They sound fine but kind of sucks to get a open one when promised a new one. 

May 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #2,115 of 5,248
Quote:
Got the D2000 from Electronics Expo today. Though the CSR who took the order promised me a new D2000, some how I ended up getting an open box. The plastic bag holding the manual is open. There is even a plastic twisty thingy sitting there randomly in the box. Somewhat disappointed. They sound fine but kind of sucks to get a open one when promised a new one. 

[size=10pt]this happened to me as well, I called and complained and they replaced me with new one[/size]

[size=10pt]did not pay postage for exchange[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back