Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 9, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #436 of 5,248
xbiker321: Can I suggest the Audio-GD compass? I too like you was in the market for a new amp last summer when I bought my D2000's. And, like you, I was a newb when it came to amps. Now, I don't have a lot to go on as the Compass is my first amp, but I am very very very happy with it. Excellent build quality, great price, and very versatile. It's got three digital inputs as well as RCA-in and you can isolate the DAC and the amp so that you can use just one or the other if you want (for the future, when you want to try out new amps/DACs).

Actually, I'll be building a Starving Student next week and using the DAC is my Compass to decode the signal coming out of my computer, then sending it to the Starving Student via RCA.

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #437 of 5,248
I haven't been posting much lately because I've been too damn busy enjoying my setup.

I think this is the first time I've had my setup and not thought about upgrading or changing something. I think my next hi-fi related purchase will end up being some portable headphones. I'm completely satisfied with my desktop setup.

currently listening to:

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

Stylo is f'in amazing. I'm still trying to get into the rest of the album.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #438 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portable or desktop amp? The Denons aren't a good headphone to be using on the go so a portable is a bit silly for them, but some people still do for various reasons. Desktop amps tend to be more powerful with more muscle and you don't have to worry about battery life or battery charging.

I use a portable simply because it's what I already had, it's all I know about with amps (I started all this while I was working in Manhattan, so portable was essential), and my setup pairs pretty nicely with the Denons after some tweaks. There's no question that a good desktop unit could out-perform my iBasso D1 w/ TopKit, but finding such unit at a comparable price is not feasible. Besides, the D1 takes up far less desk space. I think of it more as transportable than portable anyway, and this allows me to lock it away when I leave the office at night.

That said, yeah, the Denons are *NOT* for portable use. They're pretty bulky and fragile, and really don't block out very much noise.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #439 of 5,248
Yup the can is pretty fragile. I'm always afraid of scratch the lovely wooden
frown.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #441 of 5,248
I just got my Denon D2000's today and love them! Anyone know of a good cheap amp to power them?

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #442 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by dugforeva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would the stello hp100 have good synergy with the denon 5000's?

been trying to find a good amp to match on that is on sale here, but haven't seen if anyone has experience with this combination.

I actually just heard my friend's Stello today, so I can help you here.

I didn't like how it sounded with either of my headphones. It's hard to describe, but something about it just sounded really off and strange to my ears.

Amps that do pair well with Denons are Audio-GD, HeadRoom, and Meier amps, as well as a few other individuals.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #443 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually just heard my friend's Stello today, so I can help you here.

I didn't like how it sounded with either of my headphones. It's hard to describe, but something about it just sounded really off and strange to my ears.

Amps that do pair well with Denons are Audio-GD, HeadRoom, and Meier amps, as well as a few other individuals.

Thanks, guess I wont go with that then. I actually want to pick up the x-can v8p as I hear it works great with denon's but I can't find one for sale anywhere, although one sold on here a couple of days ago but I missed it!

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #444 of 5,248
I find that the Gilmore Lite has awesome synergy with the D2000/D5000. The iBasso D10 is pretty decent as well.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #445 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by dugforeva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, guess I wont go with that then. I actually want to pick up the x-can v8p as I hear it works great with denon's but I can't find one for sale anywhere, although one sold on here a couple of days ago but I missed it!

It is fairly hard to obtain, and from what I understand you can do much better in the price range (especially if in the long run you decide to markl mod, which kills the synergy).

As the above guy said, Gilmore Lite is a great option, as is any Audio-GD/Meier amp in your price range. HeadRoom amps are good with stock as they are quite warm sounding, but markl modded I did not like the Desktop at all.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #446 of 5,248
Just joined the D5000 club, pulled the trigger on mine a couple of days ago t=and they should be here next week. Doesit matter what kind of sound I run through them while burning them in or it doesnt really matter?

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #447 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't been posting much lately because I've been too damn busy enjoying my setup.

I think this is the first time I've had my setup and not thought about upgrading or changing something. I think my next hi-fi related purchase will end up being some portable headphones. I'm completely satisfied with my desktop setup.

currently listening to:

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

Stylo is f'in amazing. I'm still trying to get into the rest of the album.

x2. Have you seen that dope video with Bruce Willis yet, roker? Definitely the best I have heard from Damon Albarn in a while. His production work on Amadou and Mariam's "Welcome to Mali" was also pretty good.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #448 of 5,248
D2000's - LOVE EM! From, classic, to metal, to r+b, to bluegrass, to everything i throw at them they sound perfect to me. I don't feel they are too bassy at all. Combine them with the headphone equalization thread, and I'm in sonic heaven. best $200 i ever spent!

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #449 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just joined the D5000 club, pulled the trigger on mine a couple of days ago t=and they should be here next week. Doesit matter what kind of sound I run through them while burning them in or it doesnt really matter?

Not in my opinion, I just play my normal music through them. Some people use pink noise and tones. You can check out the burn in sticky too. It's pretty helpful.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #450 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2000's - LOVE EM! From, classic, to metal, to r+b, to bluegrass, to everything i throw at them they sound perfect to me. I don't feel they are too bassy at all. Combine them with the headphone equalization thread, and I'm in sonic heaven. best $200 i ever spent!

Congrat's! That is exactly how I felt when I got my pair of D2000's.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back