Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 9, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #5,161 of 5,248
Output Impedance on DAC going into amp is not same as output impedance on amp driving headphones...

Project Polaris has 11k / 22k input impedance and the Schiit Modi 3 a 75ohm output impedance... generally looking for 100:1 or better for amp input resistance to DAC output resistance, which would be 110ohms or lower for 11k... 75ohms is more than fine. Most full sized DACs are in the 100+ ohm output impedance range. Topping E30 will be in 75ohm-100ohm range most likely for output impedance, ifi Nano iDSD is rated @ < 240ohms, and Khadas Tone board 100ohms.

Jan 10, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #5,162 of 5,248
I'm glad to see people are still listening to these headphones. These are what truly got me started on the quest for the perfect headphones because I loved the subbass so much. I got rid of them long ago when times got hard but I'm finally in a position to explore audio gear once again.
I'm curious if anyone can do a comparison of these headphones, the Sennheiser Momemtum 3 Wireless, AKG K371, and Strauss and Wager ANCBT501 (my current beater).

I know I'm asking for a lot, but any kind of comparison with those would be amazing to read about.

Your old D2000s are alive and well!

Jan 10, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #5,163 of 5,248
Output Impedance on DAC going into amp is not same as output impedance on amp driving headphones...

Project Polaris has 11k / 22k input impedance and the Schiit Modi 3 a 75ohm output impedance... generally looking for 100:1 or better for amp input resistance to DAC output resistance, which would be 110ohms or lower for 11k... 75ohms is more than fine. Most full sized DACs are in the 100+ ohm output impedance range. Topping E30 will be in 75ohm-100ohm range most likely for output impedance, ifi Nano iDSD is rated @ < 240ohms, and Khadas Tone board 100ohms.
Okay thanks. That's interesting and good to know.

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #5,165 of 5,248
Finally bought the D2000, tested a little bit yesterday.

The first thing that noticed is, woow, soundspace. I didn't expect this for a closed back. Then started comparing it to the Sundara, as my purchase purpose was to find a closed back equivalent of those (in mid-fi segment). It sounds more congested, as in less clarity, also less air and some bass bleed into the mids. I tried to fix it lowering 40Hz down a few dB.
I'm not sure what to think or if I'm spoiled by the Sundara, it sounds good but maybe expected more separation and clarity. I have some angled Brainwavz pads on the way so they should improve those qualities.

I think I will buya DT1770 at some point and keep whichever sounds best.

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #5,166 of 5,248
TLDR: Can the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro headband assembly be modded to work on a pair of D2000's?

Hey all, I recently moved to an apartment so I can't listen to my speaker sett-up as loud as I would like and have revived my forgotten pair of D2000's. Wow, I forgot how good they sound, but the problem is that they are in pretty rough shape and the Fostex replacement pats are too expensive. I might upgrade to the Fostex or EM-U version, but I want to referbish these if possible. I've seen a Beyerdynamic headband replacement mod referenced in a few places on the internet, but I can't find any good info about it. Does the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro work as a complete headband replacement or were people referring to the leather headband pad?

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #5,167 of 5,248
TLDR: Can the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro headband assembly be modded to work on a pair of D2000's?

Hey all, I recently moved to an apartment so I can't listen to my speaker sett-up as loud as I would like and have revived my forgotten pair of D2000's. Wow, I forgot how good they sound, but the problem is that they are in pretty rough shape and the Fostex replacement pats are too expensive. I might upgrade to the Fostex or EM-U version, but I want to referbish these if possible. I've seen a Beyerdynamic headband replacement mod referenced in a few places on the internet, but I can't find any good info about it. Does the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro work as a complete headband replacement or were people referring to the leather headband pad?

How much is Fostex charging for those parts?

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #5,169 of 5,248
Been a while since I posted but wanted to return with some updates on my D2000's.
Some of you may have come across my Headband Rebuild - a DIY tutorial I documented of my headband fix.

Well like many AH-D2/5/7000 owners out there, one of my cup gimbals finally snapped (after roughly 10 years of constant use- so pretty good run nonetheless).
I already knew that parts for this repair are non-existant so I went for the M3 bolt and nut route. If you're gonna repair it, might as well make it stronger.
Also, even though only 1 cup gimbal broke, I replaced the other so they could at least match.

20210728_001518.jpg
20210728_001546.jpg

Currently using a few nuts torqued against eachother to ensure no loosening. These will be replaced with a cap/acorn/dome nut with some loctite, once the nuts finally arrive. For those seeking to replicate - take an M3x20 Stainless Steel Hex Bolt and turn the head down to a diameter of 4.5mm.
(Do this slowly with regularly checks, as smaller than 4.5mm diameter results in looseness, which contributes to wobble no matter how tight you torque the nuts.)

This gives enough clearance for the head to sit flush in the cup armature, yet still catch the internal lip within the gimbal slot to keep it from pulling all the way through.
For those without fancy tools/machines - I achieved this with the bolt secured in the chuck of a cordless drill, spinning while using 80grit sandpaper to sand it down.

20210728_000516.jpg
20210728_001214.jpg

The Cocobolo Rosewood cups fitted here are from MartinCustomAudio back some 7 years ago - who sadly no longer operates and who's site no longer exists.
The polished finish is still super durable.

BONUS: The headphones now rotate completely flat for a superior travel/packing experience. I wish I did this years ago before I spent countless hours delicately padding and packing these for travel.

For those wondering - these earpads are from an Aliexpress seller YHcouldin. I bought the Super-soft Thicken variant.
FYI - they are the best pads I've ever tried. So plush. So comfortable. Breath well. Excellent depth even for big ears.

20210728_001458 cropped.png

These are no shelf-queens. Ready for another 10 years of constant use.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #5,172 of 5,248
TBH, my AH-D2000 are still stock, and they are a killer all rounder set of cans with the AutoEQ InnerFidelity B2012 PEQ running on EQ APO, PEACE. They have some real easiness in portraying tone, dynamics and stage in a very natural way (a very irl feeling). For what they are selling nowadays (~$150), if found in good condition, they get a strong recommendation by me as an excellent entry level audiophile set of cans that are well worth the money. I would even call these endgame cans for the money.

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #5,175 of 5,248
TBH, my AH-D2000 are still stock, and they are a killer all rounder set of cans with the AutoEQ InnerFidelity B2012 PEQ running on EQ APO, PEACE.
What a nice share !

I did a quick leveled comparison , by the ear though and the change is significant, to the better of course.
Love to see the thread still kick'n and superb support by the users from mechanical to sound releated stand points.
Cheers to all present and future owners :beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back