Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Oct 20, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #5,026 of 5,248
Hey all I need some help. The d2k I bought doesn't have pads or pad rings, does anybody have an extra set of rings so I can try some of the pads I already own on them? Obviously I'll pay for them

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #5,027 of 5,248
So I decided to put my d2k back together(it came completely dissasemvled) while waiting for my top coat process on my wood cups to cure for a few weeks before doing my final "shine". Holy sh#t, I have to say I have 3 pieces of gear now that have very special bass. My he4 is fast and tactile and very accurate, while lacking in slam but beautiful in texture and quality. Me Sony ex1000 is similar in that it's bass is so so clean and goes very low, but once again not BIG bass, just extremely good quality. Then I put the d2k on, unfortunately i had to just set some alpha pads on and let them press against my head as I have no pad rings still. Wow, that bass is awesome, I think I'm in love. Someone else before the very nice gentleman I bought these from did some mods, so not sure how these differ from complete stock, but I like what I hear so far. I read so many reviews saying these tilted towards bright, and I really don't know where that comes from, maybe the internal mods and just pressing the alphas to my head isn't letting that treble come through as much? Probably since that's what alpha pads do on majority of cans. Very nice sound though I hope to get the mids up a tad though with different pads, the cups and other mods. Anyhow someone please help me and sell some pad rings to me! If the replacement pads on eBay come with those adapter rings please also let me know, I can't tell from the description or pics.

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #5,028 of 5,248
Well got my second AH-D2000 for perhaps an all-time lowest price I've ever seen - practically free, I've spent more on cheap whiskey. :sunglasses:

They are in quite good condition, but here is the interesting part, they sound quite different than my other pair! My original pair has very supple pads and they are a bit thinner perhaps from use. The padding on this new pair, look identical from stitching and material, but the foam feels stiffer and is thicker. So they are less comfortable, but my oh my, the sound is different.

My original have deep engaging bass and seem a tad louder.

I will have to do a pad swap to see if it makes a difference. It's not that the new one sounds bad, in some ways it is more balanced but not as impactful. I could see how it could disappoint certain people that were hoping to get the sound that they are known for.

Just wanted to share this, as because the Foster driver platform is one of my favourites, and I can see how modding through pads, cups and damping really can alter these headphones.

Edit - the more i listen to the new one the more I like it , perhaps it just takes a but of time for the foam to adjust.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #5,029 of 5,248
having recently put new pads on mine i agree. i have a feeling the foam in the original pads degrades to a point that they are so soft they bring the drivers closer to the ears and the comfort is hard to duplicate. they still sound and feel great though.

Oct 28, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #5,030 of 5,248
Crap phone pictures but, here we go. A little damping to the back driver, acoustic foam on inside cups, then some fluffed cotton. I need to do a recable still though. 20171028_155112.jpg 20171028_141838.jpg20171028_141858.jpg

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #5,031 of 5,248
Good day thread members,
Can anyone chime in on which Denon headphone has the least highs?
I'm fairly sensitive to sibilance, but I've always wondered how these headphones sound.

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #5,032 of 5,248
Good day thread members,
Can anyone chime in on which Denon headphone has the least highs?
I'm fairly sensitive to sibilance, but I've always wondered how these headphones sound.

Thanks!
Denon 7200

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #5,034 of 5,248
Once I swapped to the wood cups the sound was just muddy, so these sat for a while because I d idnt have time to tinker. Well finally did, I removed the cotton and the acoustic foam from the cups, and got rid of the alpha pads and used a set of shure 1540 Alcantra pads. I fell in love with the 1540 pads on my he4, and now I'll be ordering at least another set for the d2000. They sound a whole lot more neutral than before, closer to the stock sound I had but better clarity and a more even tone. Obviously these still aren't neutral and never will be, nor do I want them to be. These biocellulose drivers are special, glad i figured out a fix to what i somehow screwed up. Now I need to install some smcs on here and try to find a part. I'm missing the small cover over the nut that's on the gimbal. Anyone think those can be bought anywhere? I've done some light searches and could not find anything.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #5,035 of 5,248
those pads look interesting - how's the fit/sound with denon variants? i could also try them on my m50's.

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #5,036 of 5,248
Anyone know where I can get a headband leather wrap replacement for a D5000?
Some ants took a liking to it and made pot holes in the fo-leather headband, it's just an aesthetic thing, but it still perturbs me.

20180128_122432.jpg

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #5,038 of 5,248
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #5,040 of 5,248
Sunday funday, man these sound good with the 1540 pads. Some may not like them because they subtract low end, but to me they sound way more balanced now. Anyone ran a d2k on a Sony wm1a? May be buying one soon wondering how that pairing is20180211_134555.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back