Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 25, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #5,056 of 5,248
Those cups are very nicely done! I'm going a different direction with my D2000 - transferring the drivers over to a TH-X00 chassis once I find one for a good price and still use the plastic cups (traded the NOS condition cups off PETEREK for my well used and repainted stock ones) with Lawton dampening. Already have two modded TH-X00s with wood cups... want to keep the D2000 with the stock plastic cups. Kind of my sentimental nature with my decade old D2000 that first got me into high quality audio.

Let me.know if you find that thx00 chassis I've been trying to find one myself, for a decent price.

Mar 26, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #5,057 of 5,248
Finally got those SMC connectors in and installed

Hi there - could you link to the SMC connectors you used - and maybe give me some hints as to how to connect them properly - I've been googling around to the best of my skill, and still only managed to find finished products, no guides to how it's actually done. - So if you followed a specific guide, I'd be happy to have a link.

I have heard that some SMC connectors require you to cut of a larger piece of the baffle and cup than others, and I'd prefer finding the optimal one.

Would appreciate some advice :)

Mar 26, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #5,058 of 5,248
I had to notch my wood cups and the baffle, as well as trimming the actual and connector down to near flush on the driver side. Needless to say soldering sucked and looks like a heap of trash, but ya can't see it and they work! I didn't follow any instructions I'm a rebel

Apr 7, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #5,059 of 5,248
Please excuse this. But the search function on this site is junk, still. Has anyone tried the d2000 with dekoni th900 pads, either the sheepskin or fenestrated sheepskin? I still have alpha pads on mine but they've always just been to damn thick, if I was any good at sewing leather I would trim the thicker end down by 3/4 of an inch or something. Anyhow,.not really trying to roll the dice on a 70$ set of pads so if someone has used them, be great to know if they're worth it. I was also looking at some brainwavz sheepskin angled pads that are around the same depth as the th900 pads from dekoni.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #5,060 of 5,248
Has anyone tried the d2000 with dekoni th900 pads, either the sheepskin or fenestrated sheepskin

I have not tried that specific pad - but I have the Lawton angled sheepskin pads on mine (D2000), and they look very similar in shape and size (and even the filter in front of the driver). I really like the Lawton pads, I have a smaller head, so they make the headphone sit a bit more securely than the stock pads - without clamping too much. They also helped a bit in taking off some of the highs, so that there is no more sibilance or fatigue in my pair (they have the tune-up kit too, but that mainly seems to impact bass tightness).

If the Dekoni pads are as they look, I'd say they are a good option.

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #5,061 of 5,248
Hi Guys I have awesome pads if anyone is interested but you will need the dekoni ring.

The middle lambskin that looks like stock is pretty awesome and the perforated soften things up a bit but are super comfortable.

7q1bhL5.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #5,062 of 5,248
Hi Guys I have awesome pads if anyone is interested but you will need the dekoni ring.
You actually do not need to use these inferior plastic rings that partially cover the driver...

Do this:
1-Goto a hardware store (HomeDepot in US).
2- Goto the plumbing section/aisle.
3-look for these, or any silicone or rubber 2.5" to 3" rings:
20180608_191617.jpg
4- Insert them same as you would the Dekoni ring...

They will retain the bass seal needed,
while opening up the soundfield.
:)

Here is another pic of different compatible rings, (the clear and yellow),
as I needed two per side for another Headphone:

20170728_204453.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #5,063 of 5,248
You actually do not need to use these inferior plastic rings that partially cover the driver...

Do this:
1-Goto a hardware store (HomeDepot in US).
2- Goto the plumbing section/aisle.
3-look for these, or any silicone or rubber 2.5" to 3" rings:

4- Insert them same as you would the Dekoni ring...

They will retain the bass seal needed,
while opening up the soundfield.
:)

Here is another pic of different compatible rings, (the clear and yellow),
as I needed two per side for another Headphone:

Ha but how do you get the oval for the center?

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #5,064 of 5,248
Anyone know anywhere in the UK I can send my D5000s to get recabled? The sound is cutting out, pretty sure the cable is damaged. Tried a local computer repair shop but they couldn't source a cable of equal quality to the stock one.

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #5,069 of 5,248
Hey guys.
So I have a pair of utter stock, near pristine D5000 will less than 50 hours and am looking to sell.
Can anyone tell me how much they're worth these days? The pads are original and perfect as well.
Really small scratch (3mm) in the cup hanger that's hardly noticeable.
Wood is perfect.

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #5,070 of 5,248
Hey guys.
So I have a pair of utter stock, near pristine D5000 will less than 50 hours and am looking to sell.
Can anyone tell me how much they're worth these days? The pads are original and perfect as well.
Really small scratch (3mm) in the cup hanger that's hardly noticeable.
Wood is perfect.
I puchased pair a few months ago, as you describe, minus any scratch, paid $300, if that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back