Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jul 19, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #5,011 of 5,248
My pad of choice for the D2000 (and now TH-X00 PH) has been the Jmoney, recently with custom attenuators placed in pad. Finally tried the Lawton pads last week and was not impressed at all. Did not like the change they brought to the sound...sure more detailed, but where did the bass go?!? Impact and body severely reduced... BLEEEH! And the fit was very weird, stiffish light foam that feels more like styrofoam and nowhere near as nice fitting or isolating as the Jmoney pads. And you can't put attenuators in the Lawton pads because they are sealed at the bottom, and putting attenuators in the bottom under the mounting ring didn't do much to help at all. Very glad they were borrowed and not purchased... Shame there is no substitute for the old Jmoney pads - they truly bring something special to the Fostex biodyna sound when you have dampening installed (Lawton tune-up kit pieces for driver housing only, NO CUP DAMPENING!) and pad attenuators...

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #5,012 of 5,248
Anyone knows if we can still get the Jmoney pads these days?

If Jmoney is no longer available than how about the ZMF Ori pads? Would they be better than Lawton pads? Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #5,013 of 5,248
Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #5,015 of 5,248
Anyone know how much the Original Denon earpads for Denon D5000 cost
mine is in bad shape and need new leather pad.
I asked Sony official shop here they say it cost 108 euro for a pair of two earpads that quite expensive

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #5,016 of 5,248
can someone point me to the replacement pads available that are most similar to the ones that came with my d2000? i would like to maintain the softness and relative looseness - i need to replace the pads on my d2000 soon and also want to try to make my new emu teak more comfortable - it seems most replacement pads on the higher end are thicker (more clamp) and the cheaper thinner ones use firmer foam (more seal = sound pressure and heat).

the pads that look closet to oem to me are the $38 ebay ones, but they have firmer memory foam?

thanks - matt.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #5,017 of 5,248
can someone point me to the replacement pads available that are most similar to the ones that came with my d2000? i would like to maintain the softness and relative looseness - i need to replace the pads on my d2000 soon and also want to try to make my new emu teak more comfortable - it seems most replacement pads on the higher end are thicker (more clamp) and the cheaper thinner ones use firmer foam (more seal = sound pressure and heat).

the pads that look closet to oem to me are the $38 ebay ones, but they have firmer memory foam?

thanks - matt.

I've used these for approximately 2 years, nearly identical to the stock pads, comfortable and so far reliable with no change to the signature sound (as far as my ears can tell).
I have tried cheaper ones but these are the closest.
Sold by Wangyifey, you may be able to find these with cheaper postage, I bought these through ebay UK. link below.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Protein-Leat...000-7000-Headphones-/261841307083?_mwBanner=1

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #5,019 of 5,248
Holy crap i cant believe this threads still going. Long time Denon Owner here.

D5000s with lawton audio mk2 mods, so dynamat inside, and lawton pads.

I guess my preferences, ears, or headphones have changed over the 5-7 years ive owned em, and thee treble has become too emphasized for my liking.

You guys have any suggestions as to how to tame the treble back a tad? I mostly have some minor issues with sibilance, on higher female vocals, on snaps, SSSSsss sounds, etc..

It may be because ive gotten used to my newish Sennheiser HD600s, which have way less treble then the denons.

The Denons are still so good, and realistically still my best headphones, so i dont wann replace them, if i can turn the treble down just a bit i think ill be back in total love. Thanks again folks

Oct 3, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #5,020 of 5,248
Holy crap i cant believe this threads still going. Long time Denon Owner here.

D5000s with lawton audio mk2 mods, so dynamat inside, and lawton pads.

I guess my preferences, ears, or headphones have changed over the 5-7 years ive owned em, and thee treble has become too emphasized for my liking.

You guys have any suggestions as to how to tame the treble back a tad? I mostly have some minor issues with sibilance, on higher female vocals, on snaps, SSSSsss sounds, etc..

It may be because ive gotten used to my newish Sennheiser HD600s, which have way less treble then the denons.

The Denons are still so good, and realistically still my best headphones, so i dont wann replace them, if i can turn the treble down just a bit i think ill be back in total love. Thanks again folks

Shelf-liner mod in or behind the ear-pad. I cannot find the OP of that mod, but the material looks like this.
Takes the edge off of hot treble spikes.
Screen_Shot_2015-08-11_at_5.19.45_PM.jpg

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #5,022 of 5,248
Question for you folks, I cannot find the search within this thread option, still, after headfis update. I have an incoming d2000 that will arrive dismantled, so thinking of trying to paint the frame black. Has anyone been successful in This? I've had great luck using model paint(enamel) in small rattle cans, then spraying satin clear coat( at least 4x) on vintage stereo faceplates. I just think the black frame, aka thx00, looks nicer, especially since I'll have wood cups on these instead of the black plastic. Anyhow, let me know if anyone's attempted, or failed. I also have an hvlp sprayer now, that works very well with small items, so could try auto paint/clear through the sprayer. L9oking forward to seeing how these things sound after all these years of wondering.

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #5,023 of 5,248
Question for you folks, I cannot find the search within this thread option, still, after headfis update. I have an incoming d2000 that will arrive dismantled, so thinking of trying to paint the frame black. Has anyone been successful in This? I've had great luck using model paint(enamel) in small rattle cans, then spraying satin clear coat( at least 4x) on vintage stereo faceplates. I just think the black frame, aka thx00, looks nicer, especially since I'll have wood cups on these instead of the black plastic. Anyhow, let me know if anyone's attempted, or failed. I also have an hvlp sprayer now, that works very well with small items, so could try auto paint/clear through the sprayer. L9oking forward to seeing how these things sound after all these years of wondering.

Search at very top right generic search bar "search this thread only" is in it.
Screen_Shot_2017-10-04_at_7.54.31_AM.jpg

Black pro powder-coat maybe best long-term option for the frame ?

I miss the thread carousel that was in the footer in the old site, I found quite a few new bits of audio gear to buy through that... as it was like a " What's hot" alert due to the volume of posts keeping a topic in it.

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #5,024 of 5,248

I miss the thread carousel that was in the footer in the old site, I found quite a few new bits of audio gear to buy through that... as it was like a " What's hot" alert due to the volume of posts keeping a topic in it.

Wow that search icon blends in way too well, never saw that using my phone. Thanks for That! I'll look into doing a powder coat, I knew someone said they were going to paint theirs a few pages back but didn't see any results

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #5,025 of 5,248
20171005_152007.jpg Time to get started. 1st step, piano finish these cups, recable to smc(hopefully), new pads, and maybe repaint this frame. Not quite sure I want to deal with that right now. I'll report back in at least a month when I get somewhere with this project.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back