Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #10,351 of 12,086
Well, I dropped $65 on Mr. Speakers Alpha pads and it was money wasted. Incredible comfort, but just killed the bass. I need Alpha comfort with stock sound. The search continues....

If you can slip material between the bottom of the inside of the pads and the fabric driver cover then try making attenuators for aftermarket pads before you discount them. If you like the sound of the pads but not the bass level then custom attenuators can fix that (will have cleaner bass beyond stock level most likely). I would avoid the Dekoni TH-X00 attenuators though, they muddy things up.

i-2nnmrQf-M.jpg

i-pGBXNPB-M.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #10,352 of 12,086
If you can slip material between the bottom of the inside of the pads and the fabric driver cover then try making attenuators for aftermarket pads before you discount them. If you like the sound of the pads but not the bass level then custom attenuators can fix that (will have cleaner bass beyond stock level most likely). I would avoid the Dekoni TH-X00 attenuators though, they muddy things up.

i-2nnmrQf-M.jpg

i-pGBXNPB-M.jpg

Thanks for the idea, what material did you use? It appears to just be heavy paper?

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #10,353 of 12,086
Thanks for the idea, what material did you use? It appears to just be heavy paper?

I used a file drawer hanging folder, manila folder would be the same thing. Can use any stiff, thin material - plastic, thick paper, styrofoam. Just make sure it a C shape or less, dont want anything in the area infront of the ears, then it will start messing with the mids and highs - like the Dekoni discs do.

This idea was from someone else much earlier in the thread, and it works really well. Hardest part is finding pads you like the sound of...fixing lack of bass is easy with these attenuators.

People say the SHP9500S has weak bass....they are SOOOO wrong!
i-jRHqW6z-L.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #10,354 of 12,086
I used a file drawer hanging folder, manila folder would be the same thing. Can use any stiff, thin material - plastic, thick paper, styrofoam. Just make sure it a C shape or less, dont want anything in the area infront of the ears, then it will start messing with the mids and highs - like the Dekoni discs do.

This idea was from someone else much earlier in the thread, and it works really well. Hardest part is finding pads you like the sound of...fixing lack of bass is easy with these attenuators.

People say the SHP9500S doesn't have any bass....they are SOOOO wrong!
i-jRHqW6z-L.jpg

You are a genius! Took me about 3 minutes and $0, and substantially changed the sound for the better! Mine aren’t as well cut as yours, I’ll probably try to make something a little prettier tomorrow. But for now, I think I can use my Alpha pads again, which are WAY more comforable than the stock pads for me.

Jul 8, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #10,355 of 12,086
Whoever came up with this Is the genious, wasn't me. Fun thing is it's easy and cheap to experiment with and can really make most any pad a viable option if lack of bass is the issue you have with them. Also slightly enhances clarity and detail.

Also, do you have the full Lawton tune up kit installed or just the driver dampening pieces?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #10,356 of 12,086
Whoever came up with this Is the genious, wasn't me. Fun thing is it's easy and cheap to experiment with and can really make most any pad a viable option if lack of bass is the issue you have with them. Also slightly enhances clarity and detail.

Also, do you have the full Lawton tune up kit installed or just the driver dampening pieces?

An hour ago I removed the cup pieces and am only using the driver mod. I like it better without the cup mod, that seems to cause a bit of an overall ‘muffled’ sound to me. That along with the quick and easy attenuator mod on my Alpha pads has really transformed the sound of these cans to the point that they are on the verge of replacing my Elears as my daily driver. The Elear is probably more accurate, but I just want enjoyment from headphones and don’t care so much about ‘as the artist intended’. How would I ever know what the artist intended anyway? :)

These are now more comfortable than my Elears to boot. Pretty happy with my first every Massdrop purchase!

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #10,357 of 12,086
Has anyone tried sanding down their cups and refinishing them? I think it would be cool to have them in the colors of your favorite team (OU football helmet for me). Are there mahogany replacement cups available at a reasonable price if I try this and screw them up? The only replacement cups I’ve seen are prohibitively expensive.

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #10,359 of 12,086
Thank you for your response. The other pads on the radar are ZMs Eikon pads (the Ori siblings are thicker and may reduce bass more than Eikon). It seems all versions of Audeze, Brainwavz, and Mr Speakers pads are all a no go. I think what needs to be tried is Eikon with a homemade insert, to replace what is sewn into the earpad (attenuation ring). That of course is different than the larger white surround ring with the four slots that holds the entire ear pad to the cup. Some have tried this. I manufacturer needs to. Save to say if they did and if any are listening (Mr Speakers, Lawton, Brainwavz, ZMF, even Audeze) making one with that attenuation ring, proper thickness (not too thick) and TESTING to be sure it gets a stock sound or better, it really is an untapped market. They could easily sell a thousand of them over time, and charge a pretty good premium above the cost of making slightly different versions of their existing pads just for these Foster type headphones (Fostex, Denon, EMU).

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #10,360 of 12,086
An hour ago I removed the cup pieces and am only using the driver mod. I like it better without the cup mod, that seems to cause a bit of an overall ‘muffled’ sound to me. That along with the quick and easy attenuator mod on my Alpha pads has really transformed the sound of these cans to the point that they are on the verge of replacing my Elears as my daily driver. The Elear is probably more accurate, but I just want enjoyment from headphones and don’t care so much about ‘as the artist intended’. How would I ever know what the artist intended anyway? :)

These are now more comfortable than my Elears to boot. Pretty happy with my first every Massdrop purchase!

I have to say - the Lawton 1 mod make a pretty significant difference to my ears. I only added the driver side with the Dekoni sheepskin and attenuator ring. The list of changes tamed the highs that were fatiguing, I could only wear them for 1-2 hours at a time, and tightened up the bass. It basically sealed the deal for me and I find myself always reaching for my TH-X00. My poor M1060's are collecting dust.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #10,361 of 12,086
Thanks to Phantaminum, I was able to compare the Lawton pads to the ZMF Ori and J-money pads just now. So what follows is my comparison of the three pads.

1. PHYSICAL DIFFERENCES:

First off pictures of the 3 pads (for all pictures Ori is on left, J-money middle, and Lawton on the right):

i-hXgB9g5.jpg

i-sKPnXV9.jpg

i-KdBp2z7.jpg

i-Tn35Nnx.jpg

i-npR82tF.jpg

Both the J-money and Lawton have some kind of stiff ring of material in the base, the Ori doesn't have a ring of material in its base. I weighed the pads on a 50g capable jewlers/powder scale I have and they measured as follows:

ZMF Ori = 19.7g
J-money = 27.4g
Lawton = 17.3g

In the hand you can tell the J-money has some extra heft to it compared to the other two. All are lambskin pads, though the mounting flap on the J-money is pleather coated fabric (which I've peeled off from the visible areas since it was flaking off after many years of use on my Denon AH-D2000.) The Ori is the softest, most squishy pad with a fairly thin and fine-mesh transparent fabric backing. The J-money is next softest, but is much closer to the Lawton than Ori. The J-money also has the thickest and least transparent fabric backing of the three. The Lawton is the stiffest, too stiff to me, and has the most transparent backing fabric, with a larger mesh than the Ori. It was also rediculously difficult to put the mounting ring on compared to the other 2, such stiff flap material!

2. FIT ON A TH-X00:

As for comfort, my ranking is as follows (from most to least comfortable):

ZMF Ori -> (little gap) ->J-money -> (big gap) -> Lawton

Well, no surprise that softest, squishiest leather pad with large ear opening feels the best. It's also the thickest so you get the best clamp with it. Now while the J-money has the smallest opening technically, it is shaped the most square so it fits well around my big ears even though they touch. You get a decent clamp with it and the leather is soft enough to feel very nice to wear. Now as for the Lawton, well it has the largest opening but the padding, for being the lightest, is the stiffest and it feels like it is not sealing too well on the head. Seriously, it fits more like they are made out of styrofoam instead of fill foam...very weird fitting pad, not in a good way either. All being leather, the comfort from the material is basically the same after being on the head for a while - initially though the ZMF Ori feel the coolest and most comfortable when first put on.

3. SOUND IMPRESSIONS:

We'll go in picture order and note that both the Ori and J-money are using my custom attenuators inside the pads, Lawton is glued shut so you can't. Also of note my TH-X00 is Lawton Tune-up Kit modded on driver frame only, no cup dampening whatsoever. My listening setup is a Windows laptop playing FLAC through Foobar2K outputing to Bifrost 4490 DAC and Gustard H10 amp.

ZMF Ori - This is the in-between pad of the bunch. It has the most balanced sound - bass with good impact and weight (not too far behind the J-moneys), mids kind of slightly recessed but with fairly good weight to them, and highs that are probably the most recessed and neutral of the bunch.

J-money - The darkest sound of the bunch yet highly detailed and extremely clear at the same time. And that SUB-BASSS! HIGHEST energy of the bunch and very detailed, with huge body and pressure feel. Acoustic/electric Bass and drum resonances and sustain comes across the best. The mids have a sweet weight and heft, and the highs are most energetic yet not overbearing. I absolutely love these pads - perfect match for the TH-X00 PH to me.

Lawton - This is an airy sounding pad with not much bass presence, much less than stock. Seems Lawton is going for a 'hear the music detail' not 'feel the music' tune. It is a very detailed and precise sounding pad, with slighty more emphasis in the mids and highs. Thing is, this is a Fostex TH-X00 PH... the reason I listen to it is for the stellar bass/sub-bass...and it's absolutely lacking with the Lawton pads. Also has the least body and weight to its sound, very thin sounding in comparison to the others. Putting an attenuator under the pad brings out the bass some, but not even to the level of an Ori without an attenuator. Would not recommend the Lawton pad at all unless you are looking to get sound more like an Audio Technica open headphone. Better yet, my modded SHP9500S with Shure 1840 pads has similar detailed sound but with more bass presence than the Lawton pads on a TH-X00...

Overall, I'm glad got to try out the Lawton pads...one more pad I can cross off the list. Not going to waste any time trying to improve them because of the fit issues they have. Much prefer the Ori's to them. But even if the Ori's sound very good, they don't have that magic sound/energy that the J-money pads have... still on the hunt for a J-money replacement.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #10,362 of 12,086
Man, the J-money pads look like they could work for so many headphones. I really like the greater angle and thinner pad which puts your ear closer to the driver. The pad opening also looks very consistent and seems like the perfect size.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #10,363 of 12,086
Can one buy a J Money pad ?

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #10,365 of 12,086
They have been long discontinued. I hope Dekoni makes a pad similar to them since their TH-X00 x Massdrop Sheepskin pads are very good.
Yikes, too bad. Theres a company in Eastern Europe that will make a custom pad for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back