Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 22, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #12,076 of 12,086
Tried some AE knockoffs of the Brainwavzs HM5 angled pads - lovely fit but loss of that sweet sweet subbass (probably due to increased pad depth) and elevated treble at the limit of comfort. Tried flat leather internally perforated pads, similar but boomier midbass. Tried a pair of DT770 velour I had hanging about, good fit but again loss of subbass and elevated treble.

Waiting on a pair of D2000 copy pads and those attenuators.

Starting to get used to the stock pads - so far the best sound.
Sorry I've been meaning to write a reply to you but I forgot.

TH-X00 is VERY PICKY about ear pad. Like how picky? I probably tried something like 15 pads and still find stock pad sound the best.

https://drop.com/talk/23166/denon-fostex-ear-pad-guide

I wrote a guide many years ago not sure if it still holds up.

But some generic guideline regarding Fostex headphones and ear pad:

- TH-X00 you want small ear hole, it brings out the mids, the moment you make the hole bigger you start losing mids.
- Small hole also = more bass, bigger hole = less bass.
- Even though thick pads are comfy but you also want thinner pads because it brings ear closer to driver. Deeper pads = more boomy and recessed vocal.
- Most of the time you'll need attenuation ring to fix the bass and bring the vocal forward. All the stock Fostex/Denon pads default come with it already.
- Stock pad sound the best.
- Stock pad sound the best (I wrote twice because it's important).
- Stock pad sound the best (I wrote three times because ending at two is weird).
- Anything that you think might improve comfort makes it sound worse.

That being said, I think some people say this pad is pretty good, a little bit bassier than stock. I've never used it though LOL.
(this pad has built in attenuation ring)
https://accessoryhouseglobal.com/fostex-headphones/?currency=USD

But I do have this on TH900. No guarantee this will work well on TH-X00, again........ different model have different pad requirements.
(this pad doesn't have attenuation ring but I find you don't need it for this pad)
https://accessoryhouseglobal.com/fostex-replacement-ear-cushion/?currency=USD

So yes be prepared to have some trial and error. Finding a better sounding pad than the stock pad is a slippery slope lol.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #12,077 of 12,086
Sorry I've been meaning to write a reply to you but I forgot.

TH-X00 is VERY PICKY about ear pad. Like how picky? I probably tried something like 15 pads and still find stock pad sound the best.

https://drop.com/talk/23166/denon-fostex-ear-pad-guide

I wrote a guide many years ago not sure if it still holds up.

But some generic guideline regarding Fostex headphones and ear pad:

- TH-X00 you want small ear hole, it brings out the mids, the moment you make the hole bigger you start losing mids.
- Small hole also = more bass, bigger hole = less bass.
- Even though thick pads are comfy but you also want thinner pads because it brings ear closer to driver. Deeper pads = more boomy and recessed vocal.
- Most of the time you'll need attenuation ring to fix the bass and bring the vocal forward. All the stock Fostex/Denon pads default come with it already.
- Stock pad sound the best.
- Stock pad sound the best (I wrote twice because it's important).
- Stock pad sound the best (I wrote three times because ending at two is weird).
- Anything that you think might improve comfort makes it sound worse.

That being said, I think some people say this pad is pretty good, a little bit bassier than stock. I've never used it though LOL.
(this pad has built in attenuation ring)
https://accessoryhouseglobal.com/fostex-headphones/?currency=USD

But I do have this on TH900. No guarantee this will work well on TH-X00, again........ different model have different pad requirements.
(this pad doesn't have attenuation ring but I find you don't need it for this pad)
https://accessoryhouseglobal.com/fostex-replacement-ear-cushion/?currency=USD

So yes be prepared to have some trial and error. Finding a better sounding pad than the stock pad is a slippery slope lol.

Good luck!
I'm coming round to your analysis. The pads I tried I had hanging around but I don't really want another rabbit hole.... The original pads that came with are in pretty good shape.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #12,078 of 12,086
Whilst waiting impatiently for the bits and pieces to MMCX balance my X00, I decided to have a go at tuning.

I looked at the Lawton gear and tried my own:

6cm disc of flash tape into the cup - no change by itself.

Added a 5cm felt disc (actually a furniture leg felt disc to protect your floor!) on top of that - a little more mid bass and mids but slightly boomy.

Popped a lead strip around the driver for mass damping - tightened up the bass response, lost the boominess but kept the mids. Slightly drier than stock but everything sounds...cleaner. The difference is there and it'll do until I balance them which will probably add a touch of clarity.

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #12,080 of 12,086
I have the Dekoni leather pads on mine. I still think they sound good? But I'm not an expert.

Is it still worth doing the $45 Lawton tune-up on the X00 in 2024?
I find the Lawton mod makes it mildly more V shaped, treble more pronounced, bass hits a bit harder, vocal get pushed back a bit.

So I would say........ it depends on your preference. I'd go without it to be honest.

Some people swear by it though. Again...... depending on preference lol.

Mar 31, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #12,081 of 12,086
Tried the knockoff THX00 AE pads - slightly larger earhole than stock pads, softer foam. I used 3D printed mounting rings and attenuators from thingiverse - it's the attenuator that gives the deeper sub bass and more mid bass than without. Overall though, there is a loss of sparkly treble, whole tonality feels slightly darker than stock but stage is wider and probably better for longer listening sessions.

Tried my angled HM5-alikes with the attenuator - an absolute beast! More sub bass and mid bass than the AE THX pads, no loss of treble but slightly sweeter than stock. These are my current favourite, both comfort and sound wise.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #12,082 of 12,086
Tried my angled HM5-alikes with the attenuator - an absolute beast! More sub bass and mid bass than the AE THX pads, no loss of treble but slightly sweeter than stock. These are my current favourite, both comfort and sound wise.
From memory those angled HM5 are oval pads right? Did you just stretch them to fit?

Otherwise that's good to know you managed to get them to sound better than stock. :relaxed:

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #12,083 of 12,086
From memory those angled HM5 are oval pads right? Did you just stretch them to fit?

Otherwise that's good to know you managed to get them to sound better than stock. :relaxed:
They are 100mm or 105mm circular pads, no problem getting the attenuator and fixing ring on. They have a rectangular earhole - I originally bought them to try on my T50RPs.

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #12,084 of 12,086
They are 100mm or 105mm circular pads, no problem getting the attenuator and fixing ring on. They have a rectangular earhole - I originally bought them to try on my T50RPs.
Wait could you link the pad? To my understanding is that they have round pad which are flat, or angled pad which are oval.

I don't think they have angled round pads no?

But I haven't been in the pad rolling scene in a while so maybe there is new pads......

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #12,085 of 12,086
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!
£8.49 45%OFF | Angled Protein Leather 105MM Ear Pads For Monolith M1060 Headphones Earpads Headset Replacement Professional Ear Cushion Black
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EjiVG9x

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #12,086 of 12,086
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!
£8.49 45%OFF | Angled Protein Leather 105MM Ear Pads For Monolith M1060 Headphones Earpads Headset Replacement Professional Ear Cushion Black
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EjiVG9x
Ah gotcha, for some reason I thought you said HM5 pads but those are not HM5 pads.

But otherwise yeah if it's just 3rd party pads there are lots of options.

Pad rolling can get pretty deep pretty fast LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back