Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 11, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #4,786 of 5,248
The baffle is the flat piece if plastic with holes in it that holds the driver and then the cups attach to the baffle. It's part of the enclosure but it doesn't refer to depth or anything like that. I'm pretty sure the D5k and D2k have the same headband assembly, so that would be the same bills quality, the pads are the same between all the 3 headphones mentioned. I'm not sure about them all having dampening materials in them, so I can't comment on that. The baffles have the same amount of holes in them between them all too. They're just different cup materials, colors and possibly different cup depths.

IMO

you know what? that actually makes batter sense (about the baffles), infact come to think of it, the baffle is what separates the front end of the driver, the end that "sends" the sound to the listener, and the back end of the driver that emits roughly the same signal in an opposite phase (again, english isnt my mother tongue). the baffle is meant to create a divide between them so that the waves dont crash and mess up the sound. its got alot to do with wavelength and what not. 
now that im thinking about it again, i think in this case, the baffle is both the plastic you mention and the cups themselves.
those holes you mentioned in the baffle, imo, are there to allow some of that opposite signal to come through and phase the "regular" signal, and i imagine alot of science and testing went into the positioning of those holes and choosing the materials and all... thank you for clearing that up for me

anyhoo, heres a pic of the cups off my d2k (now fitted with wooden cups by headfi memeber lohb), the middle part has some dynamat feeling material on it, and is surrounded by some fluffy stuff (what would you call it?)

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #4,787 of 5,248
Sometimes we take things for granted.   Until I received my THX00 I had not paid that much attention to my Denon.  Putting it side by side with the Fostex, I think the Denon is more stunning.  

I still think that the old Denons were the the most beautiful headphones ever made (specially the D7000).  Luckily for me, they also have my favorite sound signature.

The Fostex is a gorgeous headphone though.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #4,788 of 5,248
Sometimes we take things for granted.   Until I received my THX00 I had not paid that much attention to my Denon.  Putting it side by side with the Fostex, I think the Denon is more stunning.  

I still think that the old Denons were the the most beautiful headphones ever made (specially the D7000).  Luckily for me, they also have my favorite sound signature.

The Fostex is a gorgeous headphone though.

I couldn't agree more. Plus I still think my D7000 sounds better.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #4,789 of 5,248
I couldn't agree more. Plus I still think my D7000 sounds better.

You have both? How close would you say the X00's get to the D7k's?

It's been awhile since I had my D7k, but I think X00's are probably to the D7k rather than the D2k/D5k.

I agree that the D7k is a wonderful headphone, and is gorgeous as well.

I think maybe D7k had a little more treble/air and soundstage seemed a little more expansive with perhaps a little better imaging.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #4,790 of 5,248

You have both? How close would you say the X00's get to the D7k's?

It's been awhile since I had my D7k, but I think X00's are probably to the D7k rather than the D2k/D5k.

I agree that the D7k is a wonderful headphone, and is gorgeous as well.

I think maybe D7k had a little more treble/air and soundstage seemed a little more expansive with perhaps a little better imaging.

Yes. Just sold my Fostex. I was hoping to replace the D7000 but no cigar. It gets about 75% there, The D7000 definitely has better treble/air. It is much more balanced. The Fostex was way too tubby for me, there also seems to be a mid bass hump that was a bit annoying.The bass was great for a little bit but then it got old fast. The soundstage is definitely better on the Denon as well. I didn't appreciate how awesome the D7000 was til I compared the two.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #4,791 of 5,248
Yes. Just sold my Fostex. I was hoping to replace the D7000 but no cigar. It gets about 75% there, The D7000 definitely has better treble/air. It is much more balanced. The Fostex was way too tubby for me, there also seems to be a mid bass hump that was a bit annoying.The bass was great for a little bit but then it got old fast. The soundstage is definitely better on the Denon as well. I didn't appreciate how awesome the D7000 was til I compared the two.

Did you try different pads with the THX00?

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #4,792 of 5,248

Yea... trust me I'm still wishing I had enough up front to grab a D7000, there's even a FULLY Modded LA D7k on the Fs boards right now <.< to the tune that I just spent fixing my car. 

Did you try different pads with the THX00?

Yea moving away from stock pads does help a LOT 

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #4,794 of 5,248
Dec 27, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #4,797 of 5,248
Dec 28, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #4,798 of 5,248

Where has it been bud? 

I sent it to Mark L to have some repairs an get Lawton Pads installed on it

I was missing a screw in the Driver Assembly [I took it apart one day to clean out some dust I found in there :/] an i the process I lost one of the screws >.> the Headband also had a few loose screws [literally] so I had Mark tighten them, he informed me that a little loctite should keep things put together for a while 

I needed my Alpha Pads on my TH X00, that an I was curious to hear the LA D5k with Lawtons, I remember the LA D2k I had was really well great! I enjoyed the Lawton pads I had, an you seemed to prefer them as well. So that said, I figured might as well go all in with my LA D5k, Lawton Pads an mods! An keep my TH X00 the franken phone 

though the TH X00 is getting sent off tommorow for a Recable, 

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #4,799 of 5,248
So now that the Massdrop Fostex has been out for a while, has there been a general consensus as to where they would land in comparrison to the D2000-7000's, sounds like above they fall short as compared to the D7000 modded, but what about compared to a D2000 modded( which I have) wood cups, dampening material, and a D5000 Lawton and such. I love my D2k and will probably never sell them, but I am trying everything I can to not get the Massdrop Fostex, 'specially since they are now showing up gently used.

James

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #4,800 of 5,248
So now that the Massdrop Fostex has been out for a while, has there been a general consensus as to where they would land in comparrison to the D2000-7000's, sounds like above they fall short as compared to the D7000 modded, but what about compared to a D2000 modded( which I have) wood cups, dampening material, and a D5000 Lawton and such. I love my D2k and will probably never sell them, but I am trying everything I can to not get the Massdrop Fostex, 'specially since they are now showing up gently used.

James

Hmm I'll need another few weeks before I can give you a 100% comparison, as my TH X00 is still Single Ended an isn't able to run out of my Balanced Output, where as my LA D5k can an does, still I find the Two to be very simmilar, I've been using the TH X00 from my iBasso PB2 an I've not missed my LA D5k at all, an on my first day with the TH X00 an the LA D5k side to side, both with Alpha Pads running out of my pb2s SE out I found them to be very simmilar, though the mids are better on the TH X00, still the Lawton pads improve the mids of the LA DX series so I'd like to think with Lawton Padded LA D5k an Alpha Padded TH X00, the two should be very simmilar

I actually have a hiRose 6pin to Dual Female XLR I can use to compare the two in real time, an I'm kind excited to have two very simmilar sounding headphones! I can finally use that Dual Cable an share my music with my fiance, before using the LA D5k an W1000X would... well the two sound very different, an often I'd have the music to quite for the LA D5k or to loud for the W1000X, though with two... twin headphones more or less I can share my music a lot easier 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back